Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

These players are entitled and soft. I would love for IU to start recruiting tough minded players who are just about winning.

Agree,  and i expect a greater number of them are 3 star guys,,,,not the 5 stars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

Trying to follow from work. Lot’s of layers to this thing, and seems to be a lot of unnecessary anger out there for sure. Same effect social media has had on politics and so many other areas of life these days.

I don’t think Woodson is the coach for IU in the future, or the present for that matter. The charade is over, now that TJD is gone, and negative recruiting has evidently hurt us for the Class of ‘24.

Having said all that, I can’t imagine booing our kids on Senior Day, and loudly booing our coach who was a legend here after 3 short seasons. I have seen engagements between DD and one of CMW’s daughters on Twitter in the past, and I can only think about how bad Archie Miller’s wife ( for those who remember-Wayyyy above his pay grade) was treated by our fans on social media. 
Do I want him gone? Yes. Do I want a whole new staff,  minus Calbert and Hulls? Yes. 
But this shouldn’t be rising to the level of hate and vitriol that it seems to be getting to, and our recruiting competition is licking their chops, hoping it continues. Hoping this resolves itself before things truly get out of hand. 
It can only be a bad look for us and will enable recruiters to adversely affect our ability to sign players moving forward, or hire coaches for that matter.

The booing is cringy for me personally, definitely not a fan of it being directed towards the players. I think polite applause or silence w/ CMW's name is more appropriate, again just my opinion and what I'm more comfortable with.  But honestly, he doesn't want to answer some questions at his pressers, doesn't seem interested in feedback or hearing from people, so what recourse remains?  Booing, polite applause, or silence.  If I were there on Sunday, I would just not applaud or boo or say anything. Maybe put my head in my hands. 

As for the Twitter engagements w/ spouses, etc, totally agree.  Archie's wife was supportive of her husband but also a big cheerleader for IU bball while he was there and I liked her.  I don't recall specifically any awful tweets directed at her, but don't doubt that happened. The last spring of Tom Crean was awful for his kids on campus, if I remember correctly.  There will always be people in any group that cross a line or do things cringy, sadly, even if the overwhelming majority do not. This isn't unique to IU fans.

There's a right way and a wrong way to address grievances. However, to be fair, if the other party refuses to participate in respectful discourse, then booing/silence may be seen as the only option remaining. UGH.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Accurate.  We are so screwed unless Dolson grows a spine and pulls the trigger soon.

9. Expect a Mass Exodus when the season ends. No one wants to play in this prehistoric system. It will be ugly. This staff might have anywhere from 7-10 scholarships to fill and there’s a real chance they mostly strike out on any top players who could help win. IU will have the NIL money in place, just as much if not more than anyone (heard there could be 7-10 million available), but it will not matter most likely.

Yes, set up to be like a bad pro sports franchise that dramatically overpays for a mediocre roster that doesn't mesh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I get he's trying to be positive, this is the type of stuff that makes me mad. The vast majority of the stuff IU fans are mad about is/was controllable. 

It's totally controllable to not run a garbage system. It's totally controllable to not load up on bigs and leave a scholarship open when you desperately need shooting and better guard/wing play. 

It's completely controllable to play your McDonald's AA freshman at the 4 sometimes when he's clearly a 4 and ypu clearly need to play smaller and faster. 

it's completely controllable to not ignore your prized, and only 2024 recruit for 3 full months. 

The staff hasn't "controlled" anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

The booing is cringy for me personally, definitely not a fan of it being directed towards the players.

I agree. Honestly, I’d rather one boycott the game if they are mad. A half empty Assembly Hall would prove a greater point. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree. Honestly, I’d rather one boycott the game if they are mad. A half empty Assembly Hall would prove a greater point. 

Agreed. And I would think the seats going for $2 on Stubhub a couple weeks ago would have been a HUGE wakeup call. 

4 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Wow.. I wonder how much of this is verified, etc.  Much of it I've heard but not #4.  That was new to me.

No that's been pretty much confirmed.  That Chris guy on BtB, I don't post as they blocked me but read their stuff, pretty much said if Woody had his way the women's team would play its games in the Assembly Hall parking lot.  Heard this from others.  Woody truly believes he is Bob Knight at the end of 1987.

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

No that's been pretty much confirmed.  That Chris guy on BtB, I don't post as they blocked me but read their stuff, pretty much said if Woody had his way the women's team would play its games in the Assembly Hall parking lot.

Wow. 

I knew this might get bad but I gave Woody a chance until Feb 1st. I never would’ve imagined it would get this bad. When I saw Woody at that last sectional game with his wife all I could see was a proud grandpa and grandma. It almost looked like she was knitting. I mean that as respectful as I can but I can’t unsee it. Money has hurt IU athletics like Knight said it would. He knew they couldn’t handle 40 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

No that's been pretty much confirmed.  That Chris guy on BtB, I don't post as they blocked me but read their stuff, pretty much said if Woody had his way the women's team would play its games in the Assembly Hall parking lot.  Heard this from others.  Woody truly believes he is Bob Knight at the end of 1987.

I just reread this w/ your last sentence - not sure what part of Coach Knight CMW thinks he is, but he is no RMK. I don't know what CMW thinks he is doing honestly, because he hasn't carried forward anything from Knight's time as coach to the present.  Currently making dinner so I don't have time to detail out, hahahaha, but suffice to say, CMW is no RMK.  (speaking of teaching the game, actively involved, etc.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I just reread this w/ your last sentence - not sure what part of Coach Knight CMW thinks he is, but he is no RMK. I don't know what CMW thinks he is doing honestly, because he hasn't carried forward anything from Knight's time as coach to the present.  Currently making dinner so I don't have time to detail out, hahahaha, but suffice to say, CMW is no RMK.  (speaking of teaching the game, actively involved, etc.)

An ego maniac of the highest order.  That is Mike Woodson.  He's could bring down the University if Scott doesn't act soon.  He's that bad.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get he's trying to be positive, this is the type of stuff that makes me mad. The vast majority of the stuff IU fans are mad about is/was controllable. 

It's totally controllable to not run a garbage system. It's totally controllable to not load up on bigs and leave a scholarship open when you desperately need shooting and better guard/wing play. 

It's completely controllable to play your McDonald's AA freshman at the 4 sometimes when he's clearly a 4 and ypu clearly need to play smaller and faster. 

it's completely controllable to not ignore your prized, and only 2024 recruit for 3 full months. 

The staff hasn't "controlled" anything. 

If Leary wasn't trying to make a buck with his shooting school he would be one of the most negative about everything going on.

Based on what is coming out, Woodson is a lazy, arrogant, joke of a basketball coach who has no business anywhere but a golf course enjoying retirement.  Get him the ---- out of here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

Trying to follow from work. Lot’s of layers to this thing, and seems to be a lot of unnecessary anger out there for sure. Same effect social media has had on politics and so many other areas of life these days.

I don’t think Woodson is the coach for IU in the future, or the present for that matter. The charade is over, now that TJD is gone, and negative recruiting has evidently hurt us for the Class of ‘24.

Having said all that, I can’t imagine booing our kids on Senior Day, and loudly booing our coach who was a legend here after 3 short seasons. I have seen engagements between DD and one of CMW’s daughters on Twitter in the past, and I can only think about how bad Archie Miller’s wife ( for those who remember-Wayyyy above his pay grade) was treated by our fans on social media. 
Do I want him gone? Yes. Do I want a whole new staff,  minus Calbert and Hulls? Yes. 
But this shouldn’t be rising to the level of hate and vitriol that it seems to be getting to, and our recruiting competition is licking their chops, hoping it continues. Hoping this resolves itself before things truly get out of hand. 
It can only be a bad look for us and will enable recruiters to adversely affect our ability to sign players moving forward, or hire coaches for that matter.

Don Fischer was on the JMV show and was talking about all of this. He said he knows for a fact the fans does have influence on kids current or recruits with how they act on social media.

If our fans boo at senior night that will not only strengthen the reputation of our fan base. If you are unhappy just don't go to the game

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Accurate.  We are so screwed unless Dolson grows a spine and pulls the trigger soon.

This is where I have issues with social media.  The basketball stuff is fair game.  We all have eyes about what we see on the court and can make our own judgements, but some of this stuff is unsubstantiated character assassination.  This person doesn't have proof of the things I've listed below.  They are either repeating something someone else said (which may have been just a rumor if not flat made up), or taken something totally out of context.

Here's my take on these 3 items:

• #4.  What's the context?  I've told people no when asked to do something because I have other obligations like attending a funeral, watching my kids play ball, because I'm sick, etc.
  • #5.  Malik Reneau made the absolute dumbest foul in the history of basketball.  Woodson screamed at him.  News Flash.  Knight would of screamed at him.  Izzo would have clenched his teeth and had facial spasms.  Other coaches would yell and stomp their feet.  That's what coaches do when a kid does something that dumb.  But, let's even move beyond that one play.  I don't know how many times I was watching the game and thinking 'Woodson needs to rip some ash'.  Our game threads were littered with that same sentiment.  Now, this 'tweeter' takes one instance, anger that was actually warranted, and twists it around to make Woodson look like a raving maniac. News flash!.  The tweet is agenda driven I can only wonder what the tweeter would have thought about Knight.  
  • #6.  No substantiation at all as to whether this is even partially true, let alone the full and accurate story.  It probably started with one guy wondering if Buckner's friendship with Woodson was getting in the way of making a coaching change.  When Scott Dolson himself tells me he was blocked by Buckner, I'll believe it.  Until then, I'm not going to take the word of some social media hack.     

image.png.79361e0849492d62b1c94c4cfb8ca299.png

image.png.1b61508a42a8078663953afe3aa70953.png

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

An ego maniac of the highest order.  That is Mike Woodson.  He's could bring down the University if Scott doesn't act soon.  He's that bad.

I think I've reached the stage where I'm ok to use the term "gross negligence" if he is our coach next year.  I don't like saying it.  :/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don Fischer was on the JMV show and was talking about all of this. He said he knows for a fact the fans does have influence on kids current or recruits with how they act on social media.

If our fans boo at senior night that will not only strengthen the reputation of our fan base. If you are unhappy just don't go to the game

Yeah, but that doesn't stop those same kids from going places like Kentucky.  The ONLY thing that keeps us in these conversations is the fans.  Period.  This program has been mostly a disaster for 23 years that is still viewed as "royalty" (although damaged) based solely on the support of people who keep going because of our memories of what it used to be.  Everything that everyone talks about as being an advantage of Indiana is almost entirely the fanbase.  When we play like sh**, people complain we are playing like sh**.  That is true of every fanbase that gives a damn about the team they are following.  You know whose fans are really quiet?  Basketball teams like Penn State where next to no one gives a rats @$$ because it isn't football.

The fans aren't the problem.  Mike Woodson's entitled, arrogant, lazy approach to his job is the problem.  Forgive fans for noticing they are getting fleeced.

All that being said, I agree with your last point.  Don't boo, just don't show up.  I get so ------- tired of the "fan's hurt the program" argument every time the administration screws up.  I wish people would just disappear if this sh** show is put on again next year.  Enjoy your 5,000 positive fans at Assembly Hall and nobody on Twitter noticing you suck and see how easy it is to pull people to come play at Indiana.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No way should you boo players or coaches on senior night IMO. 

But... If you (coach or player) can't handle fan and media (social or mainstream) criticism, complaining, etc. you shouldn't be in major college or professional sports. 

• Like 5

see, i don't buy that kids make their decision based on fans posts on the internet.  at the same time, as unhappy as i am with Woodson, if i had a ticket and was able to get there, i would never turn down going to the game.  i would not boo him.  i would not cheer specifically for him when announced, but would cheer for the team.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, i don't buy that kids make their decision based on fans posts on the internet.  at the same time, as unhappy as i am with Woodson, if i had a ticket and was able to get there, i would never turn down going to the game.  i would not boo him.  i would not cheer specifically for him when announced, but would cheer for the team.  

I’ll be there Sunday and there will be no booing coming from the Keet family. Unless it’s the refs or sub par halftime entertainment. 

• Like 6

I know we as fans we are to close to the situation. Outside of this fan base our reputation is not very good. I guarantee you that other coaches us this against us. If we were winning it wouldn't matter but when we are mediocre it will influence kids decisions.