Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Who is running this shit show?

Woodson has a reputation from the NBA as a player’s coach. When hired he talked about the team being a family. Leal and Galloway are Indiana kids who’ve given their heart and soul to this program. Yet two days before Senior Day, he has no idea if they’re going through it or not. He says he doesn’t know, because he hasn’t had a chance to sit down with them yet. 

"I don't know. I haven't had a chance to sit down and see what they're gonna do in terms of senior night," Woodson said in a Zoom press conference. "So I'll know more today (Friday) when I sit down with them about that. I know X is gonna go through, you don't have a choice. But Galloway and Anthony, they do have choices, they could come back another year. So I don't know what they're gonna do. So we'll have to sit down and discuss that and see what they're gonna do."

• Sad 1

So I'm actually not upset w/ this. I think Chloe Moore-McNeil didn't decide until very close to senior day as well.  If you want to consider that in a more positive environment their decisions may have been easier to make and been made by now, that's a possibility.  It could be they are weighing pros and cons of just continuing to stay in school, NIL $, etc. 

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is where I have issues with social media.  The basketball stuff is fair game.  We all have eyes about what we see on the court and can make our own judgements, but some of this stuff is unsubstantiated character assassination.  This person doesn't have proof of the things I've listed below.  They are either repeating something someone else said (which may have been just a rumor if not flat made up), or taken something totally out of context.

Here's my take on these 3 items:

• #4.  What's the context?  I've told people no when asked to do something because I have other obligations like attending a funeral, watching my kids play ball, because I'm sick, etc.
  • #5.  Malik Reneau made the absolute dumbest foul in the history of basketball.  Woodson screamed at him.  News Flash.  Knight would of screamed at him.  Izzo would have clenched his teeth and had facial spasms.  Other coaches would yell and stomp their feet.  That's what coaches do when a kid does something that dumb.  But, let's even move beyond that one play.  I don't know how many times I was watching the game and thinking 'Woodson needs to rip some ash'.  Our game threads were littered with that same sentiment.  Now, this 'tweeter' takes one instance, anger that was actually warranted, and twists it around to make Woodson look like a raving maniac. News flash!.  The tweet is agenda driven I can only wonder what the tweeter would have thought about Knight.  
  • #6.  No substantiation at all as to whether this is even partially true, let alone the full and accurate story.  It probably started with one guy wondering if Buckner's friendship with Woodson was getting in the way of making a coaching change.  When Scott Dolson himself tells me he was blocked by Buckner, I'll believe it.  Until then, I'm not going to take the word of some social media hack.     

image.png.79361e0849492d62b1c94c4cfb8ca299.png

image.png.1b61508a42a8078663953afe3aa70953.png

You've made some good points.  Would help to know who this poster is, does he have direct knowledge (some assume yes, some no), etc.  But I see your points.  We'll likely never know the validity of some of what was said.  

Re Malik - I understand what you are saying.  I thought the XTwitter poster was referring to the press conference following the game.  (Not that that makes either what you say or the poster say wrong, but I didn't think it was an in-game reference.)

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree. Honestly, I’d rather one boycott the game if they are mad. A half empty Assembly Hall would prove a greater point. 

The problem with boycotting a game is 1. You penalize the players and 2. They can spin it to us not having a great season. 

• Like 1

I guess having a job where you are driving all day allows me to listen to local sports radio

Probably listens to it to much. Jake Queery called out the Hoosier Hysteric guys and does it a lot. He got on them for calling out fans for being to toxic and causing the Liam decomitment. He said fans like the hysterics are more of a problem because they are over bearing. He questioned why does 50 year old guys fawn over 17 year old recruits and seem.to he creepy. Queery doesn't think our fans are toxic but think we can be over bearing.

I guess when Queery was at IU he was neighbors with Pat Knight and a lot of other players lived in the same complex. I guess after a Saturday game a bunch of the players and other people was watching TV and eating pizza. They noticed two strange guys that no one knew and I guess they were 40 years old and we're jealous st IU fans. They don't know how they got into the party but heard the two guys bragging about partying with basketball team.

After those two guys left the players were stunned how creepy that was and pretty much made fun of those two. I think our fans think they are part of the program and try to help it out but some over steps the boundaries.

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is where I have issues with social media.  The basketball stuff is fair game.  We all have eyes about what we see on the court and can make our own judgements, but some of this stuff is unsubstantiated character assassination.  This person doesn't have proof of the things I've listed below.  They are either repeating something someone else said (which may have been just a rumor if not flat made up), or taken something totally out of context.

Here's my take on these 3 items:

• #4.  What's the context?  I've told people no when asked to do something because I have other obligations like attending a funeral, watching my kids play ball, because I'm sick, etc.
  • #5.  Malik Reneau made the absolute dumbest foul in the history of basketball.  Woodson screamed at him.  News Flash.  Knight would of screamed at him.  Izzo would have clenched his teeth and had facial spasms.  Other coaches would yell and stomp their feet.  That's what coaches do when a kid does something that dumb.  But, let's even move beyond that one play.  I don't know how many times I was watching the game and thinking 'Woodson needs to rip some ash'.  Our game threads were littered with that same sentiment.  Now, this 'tweeter' takes one instance, anger that was actually warranted, and twists it around to make Woodson look like a raving maniac. News flash!.  The tweet is agenda driven I can only wonder what the tweeter would have thought about Knight.  
  • #6.  No substantiation at all as to whether this is even partially true, let alone the full and accurate story.  It probably started with one guy wondering if Buckner's friendship with Woodson was getting in the way of making a coaching change.  When Scott Dolson himself tells me he was blocked by Buckner, I'll believe it.  Until then, I'm not going to take the word of some social media hack.     

image.png.79361e0849492d62b1c94c4cfb8ca299.png

image.png.1b61508a42a8078663953afe3aa70953.png

Yeah, when he was hired you couldn't find anyone that would say a bad word about Woody ... Not one... Now he's this egomaniacal ogre who kicks dogs and pushes little old ladies...

BS...

People who have agendas normally have a loose association with the truth...

Criticize his coaching all you want, but now getting into Mike Woodson as a person, which I figured would happen, and painting this picture of an A-Hole deluxe is flat bull crap... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem with boycotting a game is 1. You penalize the players and 2. They can spin it to us not having a great season. 

Then you dont want change and continue giving the university what they want which is control.  They already control donors by their system.  The way people keeping their spots etc and make change is not to go because guess what they would lose money each game.  In addition if you are going you still can chant F Woodson and F Buckner and then also cheer for the kids.  This admin doesn’t deserve to be treated nice.  They screw with your money every year without consequences.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

so an avg. of 20-11 is now pretty good. That record will get you in the NIT every year or a 15 seed in a down year. not sure how Woodson is going to sleep at night next year without XJ.

18 wins is the standard at IU. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Agreed, but if you aren’t, someone else is….

It’s had to be done since the beginning of time. You should be working them because someone else will.  Also you should be watching their development and creating a relationship with them before they get here.  I keep in touch with all my former employees.  If you’re professional about it you will want what is best for them and their growth.  

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, when he was hired you couldn't find anyone that would say a bad word about Woody ... Not one... Now he's this egomaniacal ogre who kicks dogs and pushes little old ladies...

BS...

People who have agendas normally have a loose association with the truth...

Criticize his coaching all you want, but now getting into Mike Woodson as a person, which I figured would happen, and painting this picture of an A-Hole deluxe is flat bull crap... 

Totally fair. It shouldn’t be taken to the character assassination level, but his effort and behavior can be questioned. 

I personally don’t think he’s a bad guy. I wish the results were better, the momentum stronger, and the optimism surrounding the program with him at the helm, much, much brighter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Totally fair. It shouldn’t be taken to the character assassination level, but his effort and behavior can be questioned. 

I personally don’t think he’s a bad guy. I wish the results were better, the momentum stronger, and the optimism surrounding the program with him at the helm, much, much brighter.

And that's all I think anyone asks, is fairness...

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

No way should you boo players or coaches on senior night IMO. 

But... If you (coach or player) can't handle fan and media (social or mainstream) criticism, complaining, etc. you shouldn't be in major college or professional sports. 

Major college sports IS professional. They get paid more than I do. They wanted the check…they have no loyalty to a school…can’t imagine what they expect the fans to do if they are performing horribly…but even then 99% of the complaints are not personal or threatening in nature.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I guess there is an unconfirmed rumor of donors pulling back funds. Any clue? I need my daily dose of IU drama

I thought  yesterday someone said that the Simons were going to give more money for NIL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This blame the fans narrative is annoying me more and more. 

It's like a doctor treating the symptoms but not addressing how you can prevent the disease. 

If the administration wasn't a complete 🤡 show and totally unserious about the basketball program, then the fans wouldn't be an issue whatsoever. 

No doubt…if we were winning games would this be an issue??? The expectations aren’t insane…good basketball shouldn’t be that hard to achieve.

• Like 1

I was just looking at the standings and this weekends schedule

Even with how bad this season has been, if we beat MSU, NW beats Minnesota and UI beats Iowa we will finish 6th in the conference. That was pretty much where we were predicted to finish 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1