Are You Ready For Some Fantasy Football - HSN Style

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This sucks and why I hate drafting early. A wasted 5th round pick for me and the season hasn’t even started. 

Liked your pickup of Callaway. I was going to do last week but value some of the handcuffs I have more. He'll be good for you until late October for sure.

• Like 1

I joined a 2 QB league this year.  Not a superflex, just a straight 2 QB setup.  All other positions would be as you would expect with one non-QB flex.  Full PPR.  Does anyone have any experience in a 2 QB setup and have a recommended draft strategy.  It's only 8 teams, so there are plenty of good players to go around.  

Approaches I'm playing around with

• Stud QB's with top two picks
  • 1 Stud QB followed by something in the QB10-12 range
  • No stud QBs and load up on talent at RB & WR

Also, roster size is 16.  Is carrying 4 QBs too much?   I'm toying with the idea of being aggressive with the QB position and trying to get Fields and Lance as my 3rd & 4th QBs.  As mentioned, with only 8 teams there seems to be plenty of talent to go around, even at RB.  In mocks I've ran, I'm getting guys like Josh Jacobs and Kareem Hunt as my 4th RB.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I joined a 2 QB league this year.  Not a superflex, just a straight 2 QB setup.  All other positions would be as you would expect with one non-QB flex.  Full PPR.  Does anyone have any experience in a 2 QB setup and have a recommended draft strategy.  It's only 8 teams, so there are plenty of good players to go around.  

Also, roster size is 16.  Is carrying 4 QBs too much?   I'm toying with the idea of being aggressive with the QB position and trying to get Fields and Lance as my 3rd & 4th QBs.  As mentioned, with only 8 teams there seems to be plenty of talent to go around, even at RB.  In mocks I've ran, I'm getting guys like Josh Jacobs and Kareem Hunt as my 4th RB.  

In addition to hating an early draft, I also hate 2 QB leagues (almost as much as 3RB leagues). They’re the worst. Even in an 8 team league. When you look at the point drop off in QB’s it’s around the  8-10 mark. So, when you have 8 people taking 2 QB’s and 1 back up…that’s 24 QB’s not available in free agency. If one of your QBs gets injured, you’re screwed. That said, my advice is to lobby against this. If that fails then I’d draft them early. And make sure they don’t share bye weeks. Maybe go RB-QB-QB in first 3 rounds. 

I just like FF to be about skill as much as possible. 2 QB leagues make those leagues more reliant on luck because injuries are that much more detrimental to a team. 

Edited by tdhoosier

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

In addition to hating an early draft, I also hate 2 QB leagues (almost as much as 3RB leagues). They’re the worst. Even in an 8 team league. When you look at the point drop off in QB’s it’s around the  8-10 mark. So, when you have 8 people taking 2 QB’s and 1 back up…that’s 24 QB’s not available in free agency. If one of your QBs gets injured, you’re screwed. That said, my advice is to lobby against this. If that fails then I’d draft them early. And make sure they don’t share bye weeks. Maybe go RB-QB-QB in first 3 rounds. 

I just like FF to be about skill as much as possible. 2 QB leagues make those leagues more reliant on luck because injuries are that much more detrimental to a team. 

Thanks for the input.  I'm not a fan of the structure, but I'm not commish and it's worth trying something once.  First year league among this group, so maybe we will do something different next year.

I'm leaning towards drafting 4 QBs for the very reason you mentioned.  There will be next to nothing on the waiver wire.

Meanwhile, in the mocks I've done, there are RBs such as Zach Moss and James Conner going undrafted as well as WRs like Michael Pittman and Brandon Cooks.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks for the input.  I'm not a fan of the structure, but I'm not commish and it's worth trying something once.  First year league among this group, so maybe we will do something different next year.

I'm leaning towards drafting 4 QBs for the very reason you mentioned.  There will be next to nothing on the waiver wire.

Meanwhile, in the mocks I've done, there are RBs such as Zach Moss and James Conner going undrafted as well as WRs like Michael Pittman and Brandon Cooks.

I’d also ask the commish to not inflate QB points for TDs (keep at 4), which keeps the playing field a bit more level because QBs on bad offenses obviously throw less TDs. 

In a 10 team league a while back they had 2 QBs w/ 6 points for TDs and AND -2 points for sacks. My QB1 went down in week 3 and you wouldn’t believe how quickly sacks add up for those QBs on bad offenses. There were a few weeks I didn’t even put in my second QB because they’d finish in the red against a strong defense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I've never been in a 2 qb league or 8 team league for that matter....but I would think some version of alternating best QB/WR or Kelce with first 4 picks to solidify that...and start filling your RB position in rounds 5. The drop off at QB starts happening around #9 or so....but seeing plenty of rankings where Baker/Ben are 19/20th ranked.

I go heavy early on QB/WR/Kelce/Waller....because guys like Gaskin, Edmonds, Williams, Robinson, Damien Harris,etc.....will all be around by round 5 and beyond. Any of those 5 will be 18 touches per game RB's I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You absolutely go after the best 4 QBs you can get.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Got no help for you. Not sure I'd go 4 qbs unless you see a value late but certainly 2 strong qbs. I'd probably look at RB's and qbs early and look for the better values in wrs late. In a full PPR league there are a ton of wrs that maybe don't put up huge td numbers but get tons of receptions (think cole beasley...i've seen him go undrafted in tons of leagues) that can have better value late then trying to find a rb that might get 7-8 carries. I don't know....so few teams and double qbs...should mean there should be some really good backs left over because most leagues are 10-12 and you almost have to have two backs in your first 3 picks or it's really really tough.

If you want something kinda traditional but really switching things up I suggest you do the AUCTION/SALARY CAP draft in the future. Very very strategic and you can get any player you want (you don't have to worry what pick you are). A lot of strategy about how you build your team and how much you want to spend on guys and even how you nominate players (example i tried to nominate rbs, qbs, and wrs that i didn't care for early to try get people to bid with each other when they had a lot of their money at first and hopefully overpay leaving the guys I want hopefully for me to compete with to get for less money because they can't afford them.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, Seeking6 said:

@BeerBQhas to be smiling this morning. Etienne goes down making Robinson a RB1/2 for week 1.....and his Corey Davis pick in the 10th is looking mighty juicy early on. 

On 8/24/2021 at 3:03 PM, Seeking6 said:

I handcuff 3-4 every year and like clockwork it always works. Congrats....feel bad for Etienne but in fantasy you just hit gold!

@BeerBQnot smiling today.  Dobbins down and it looks to be serious.

And, of course, you have Edwards, so your handcuff strategy already working.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha. Yep. I need two more to do some stuff I want to do but can't. Will make it real fun later in year when bye weeks start happening. 

I would certainly prefer a larger roster, but I didn't offer to put all this together... so my opinion is irrelevant. The IR option is nice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would certainly prefer a larger roster, but I didn't offer to put all this together... so my opinion is irrelevant. The IR option is nice. 

I guess I might be shooting myself in my own foot possibly.....but just because we have a league on here I'm not going to stop discussing freely moves for people to make across all of our leagues. I say that because as a reminder....Todd Gurley visited the Ravens back in June.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha. Yep. I need two more to do some stuff I want to do but can't. Will make it real fun later in year when bye weeks start happening. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the IR spots will be a significant help to your roster when a player is expected to miss a couple of weeks.  In truth, it probably serves in the same manner as roster spots 15 & 16 in a league with that roster size.  No, you don't have that extra RB in Week 1, but you weren't going to play your RB5 in Week 1 anyway.  But, let's say your RB2 gets dinged up going into Week 6 and is expected to miss 2-3 games just in time for Bye weeks to hit.  Shift him to IR and pick up the type of player that would have been buried on your bench anyway.  Not a significant change to your roster management from what it would have been if those two IR spots were regular spots instead.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the IR spots will be a significant help to your roster when a player is expected to miss a couple of weeks.  In truth, it probably serves in the same manner as roster spots 15 & 16 in a league with that roster size.  No, you don't have that extra RB in Week 1, but you weren't going to play your RB5 in Week 1 anyway.  But, let's say your RB2 gets dinged up going into Week 6 and is expected to miss 2-3 games just in time for Bye weeks to hit.  Shift him to IR and pick up the type of player that would have been buried on your bench anyway.  Not a significant change to your roster management from what it would have been if those two IR spots were regular spots instead.

I've been very successful with drafting rookies and stashing them.. 

I had Dobbins, Akers, Taylor, Swift, and picked up Jeff Wilson last season. Plus I had Saquan and Aaron Jones.

Basically.. what I meant was.. I know how hard it is to put things together/organize everything. So, I don't have a right to complain.

My preference would be a 17 player roster, but the roster is 14.. so I'll adapt. I agree with what you're saying about the IR stuff, for sure. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've been very successful with drafting rookies and stashing them.. 

I had Dobbins, Akers, Taylor, Swift, and picked up Jeff Wilson last season. Plus I had Saquan and Aaron Jones.

Basically.. what I meant was.. I know how hard it is to put things together/organize everything. So, I don't have a right to complain.

My preference would be a 17 player roster, but the roster is 14.. so I'll adapt. I agree with what you're saying about the IR stuff, for sure. 

Leagues with an odd number of players (15, 17, etc.) give an inherent advantage to those with early draft slots.  They essentially get an extra round of 'Picking First'.  That said, 16 is likely optimal, but if it was 16, then having IR spots is overkill.  I've not played a lot of fantasy in the past, and I was skeptical about the 14 at first.  But, the more I played around with mock drafts, the more I liked it.  Basically, everyone on your roster to start the season has a defined role.  No one is extra padding for a security blanket.  I think it will add to the challenge.

Edited by 5fouls