Big Ten 2021-2022

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Just saw where OSU's Justice Sueing might be out for an extended period due to a "lower body injury." That hurts them a lot. He was their point forward last year, and a big piece of the puzzle for that team...

Depending on where the lower body part is (wink,wink) it probably hurts him a lot more than the team😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think the conference is as good as it was last year by any stretch...the B1G lost 9 of the 15 all Big Ten players from last year. The kids jumping ship from the lower tier teams (Nebraska, Penn St, Minnesota) kinda hurt the "strong top to bottom" argument, and Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, and Rutgers all lost important pieces without the replacements or the depth to make up for them.

True all that but I still want to see the B1G at the top of the conference rankings/ratings.  Last night improved the Big East's "look" not ours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think the conference is as good as it was last year by any stretch...the B1G lost 9 of the 15 all Big Ten players from last year. The kids jumping ship from the lower tier teams (Nebraska, Penn St, Minnesota) kinda hurt the "strong top to bottom" argument, and Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, and Rutgers all lost important pieces without the replacements or the depth to make up for them.

No doubt. I think the bottom half of the conference is considerably worse than 2/3 years ago when we were so deep. The top of the conference is still quite good, though. I think Michigan probably brought in enough to replace their losses. Wisconsin and Illinois did not.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

They lost to the 88th ranked team (according to Kenpom) turning it over 26 times...

Says a quite a bit to me...

Kenpom is largely irrelevant until at least a third of the way through the season when there’s enough data in the system to fully analyze a team’s performance along with their opponents’ performance stats.
Right now it’s still using last year’s stats on players so a new coach/system and any new players that either didn’t play last season or now have a significant role change isn’t taken into account. This early into the season, I don’t even know why they release its rankings

3 hours ago, rico said:

True all that but I still want to see the B1G at the top of the conference rankings/ratings.  Last night improved the Big East's "look" not ours.

Probably not going to improve tonight as Creighton visits Lincoln for a date with the Huskers, and Seton Hall goes to Ann Arbor to play the Wolverines...1-1 in those?

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

No doubt. I think the bottom half of the conference is considerably worse than 2/3 years ago when we were so deep. The top of the conference is still quite good, though. I think Michigan probably brought in enough to replace their losses. Wisconsin and Illinois did not.

Agree with the first sentence, but not so sure about the second...they lost Livers, Wagner, Smith, Brown and Davis...that's almost 60% of both their scoring and mintes played ...I'm pretty sure they're not as deep as they were last year...The Houstan kid can play, and Diabate looks good defensively, but they're freshmen...I've been impressed with Terrance Williams III in their games I've watched (both of them) this year, but tonight is a step up in competition (#35 on Kenpom) who brought back about 60% of their scoring and minutes played from a middle of the pack Big East team. Still better than Buffalo or Prairie View though...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Kenpom is largely irrelevant until at least a third of the way through the season when there’s enough data in the system to fully analyze a team’s performance along with their opponents’ performance stats.
Right now it’s still using last year’s stats on players so a new coach/system and any new players that either didn’t play last season or now have a significant role change isn’t taken into account. This early into the season, I don’t even know why they release its rankings

Yeah, I know, but I think the AP and Coaches rankings are just as irrelevant at this point in the season...No good way to measure teams yet with the P6ers playing mainly cupcakes... So, Kenpom it is...at least they do take into account last season, as opposed to the eye test of the latter two...

And I don't know if you watched the Marquette/Illinois game last night, but 88 is probably being generous to the Golden Eagles...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I know, but I think the AP and Coaches rankings are just as irrelevant at this point in the season...No good way to measure teams yet with the P6ers playing mainly cupcakes... So, Kenpom it is...at least they do take into account last season, as opposed to the eye test of the latter two...

And I don't know if you watched the Marquette/Illinois game last night, but 88 is probably being generous to the Golden Eagles...

I didn’t watch it. I only knew that Marquette had almost no one but one guy back from last year and a new coach/system with Shaka coming in so KenPom wasn’t going to be able to predict much from them this early. 
Not sure I understand your point about 88 being generous after beating the Illini, as even without Cockburn, they’re still a good team. I guess we’ll find out what UofI is all about eventually. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I didn’t watch it. I only knew that Marquette had almost no one but one guy back from last year and a new coach/system with Shaka coming in so KenPom wasn’t going to be able to predict much from them this early. 
Not sure I understand your point about 88 being generous after beating the Illini, as even without Cockburn, they’re still a good team. I guess we’ll find out what UofI is all about eventually. 

You had to watch the game I guess. Marquette got out rebounded by 20 (and gave up 19 offensive boards), had 14 turnovers of their own, and didn't play very good defense...except Darryl Morsel (Maryland transfer and B1G defensive POY in the B1G last year) who played his normally stout D and scored 20 to boot...

Illinois would have won if they had Cockburn, but even with him if the rest of them play like they did last night, the top 7 teams in our conference would beat them...26 turnovers is difficult to overcome against a good team...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If you take Cockburn off the Illinois roster, their T-Rank drops from 4 to 25. And Torkvik has Marquette at 101 so add in home court and it's probably fairly close.

But still Illinois should have been able to close it out with a 12 point lead in the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I watched the game and Curbelo was bad and i mean real bad. Frazier going 6-10 from three is the only thing that kept them in it.

Worst game performance I've seen since Rick Mount went 1-17 in the first half of the 1969 NCAA championship game when the Boilers got buried by UCLA...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I watched the game and Curbelo was bad and i mean real bad. Frazier going 6-10 from three is the only thing that kept them in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't shooting the knock on Curbello when IU recruited him?  I can't remember his detailed scouting report, but I can remember feeling less than excited over the possibility when shooting was already a problem with IU's guards.

Sounds like Phinisee may get some time against Frazier when IU plays the orange men from the west.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't shooting the knock on Curbello when IU recruited him?  I can't remember his detailed scouting report, but I can remember feeling less than excited over the possibility when shooting was already a problem with IU's guards.

Sounds like Phinisee may get some time against Frazier when IU plays the orange men from the west.

I think you could be right on that, about the shooting. It wasn't just his shooting though, he had 7 TO and if his teammates didn't bail him out on his loose handle he probably would have had around 10.

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think you could be right on that, about the shooting. It wasn't just his shooting though, he had 7 TO and if his teammates didn't bail him out on his loose handle he probably would have had around 10.

Sounds like his game last night was all-around terrible.  He surely didn't have the rep of being a bad ballhandler when he was recruited though, did he?  I mean, if the kid can't shoot OR dribble, what was the big attraction?

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're correct...

• Thanks 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like his game last night was all-around terrible.  He surely didn't have the rep of being a bad ballhandler when he was recruited though, did he?  I mean, if the kid can't shoot OR dribble, what was the big attraction?

To be honest i don't keep on recruiting a whole lot anymore lol. So i am not sure about it.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I still wish he had picked us.

I see 6 feet tall and can't shoot from outside.  Great passer is the most positive thing I saw from his scouting report.  Tell me how he's better than say, Khristian Lander?  I'm not seeing it at all.  Based on everything I've heard thus far, I'm at a loss to figure out why Underwear is playing him so much, unless he just has no depth at the point.  Understanding it's a very small sample size, I think IU has three point guards better than that.

• Like 1