IU Baseball 2024

btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

17 in the RPI is awesome!  My result-based metric has them #21, so very close.  You know much more than I do as to what the selection committee considers when picking tournament teams.  Is there a heavy emphasis on the RPI?  Obviously, IU's predictive or score-based metric is not quite as good, but it's not bad, either.

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

17 in the RPI is awesome!  My result-based metric has them #21, so very close.  You know much more than I do as to what the selection committee considers when picking tournament teams.  Is there a heavy emphasis on the RPI?  Obviously, IU's predictive or score-based metric is not quite as good, but it's not bad, either.

Yes, it's pretty important. 

I cringe mentioning something like this because I feel like I regularly jinx my teams... but, we COULD host. Would have to win a lot from now until the end, but it could happen. 

Maryland hosted last year-- they won all the weekend series in the B1G and beat Baylor/Campbell in weekend series. We would need a soft host bubble... to win every B1G series from here on out, and do very well in the remaining mid week games (2 games vs Ball St, @Cinci, Louisville, USI, and Evansville). 

I think there is a path for us to host. But, probably getting ahead of myself. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Looking at the Top 25 and I see several teams with 10 losses, and TCU with 12! Is IU getting a "sniff" of the rankings???

It appears that in last week's USA/Today Coaches poll they would have factored out to #31.  I don't know about the other polls, and this week's USA Today poll isn't out yet as far as I can tell.  So yes, they are getting noticed by poll voters, it appears.

• Like 2

Couple of things to watch for--- Texas, Auburn are both 1-1 in their current weekend series. 

Auburn @ Bama

Tex @ Baylor

We want Tex+Auburn to win as many games as possible moving forward. And in all honesty, other then when they're playing us... we should be rooting for Iowa, Maryland, and Mich St to win as many games as possible and solidify themselves as tourney teams. But then we pick up series wins against all three.

My computer rankings, updated through April 16 games, features a new #1 and Indiana continuing to move up.  Indiana is 0-2 versus my Top 25 but a very respectable 4-5 versus my Top 50.  The Big 10 ranks as the 6th best conference behind the SEC, ACC, Pac 12, Big 12, and Big West.

National:

1 LSU
2 Wake Forest
3 South Carolina
4 Virginia
5 Kentucky
6 Vanderbilt
7 Duke
8 Florida
9 NC State
10 East Carolina
11 Arkansas
12 Alabama
13 Virginia Tech
14 Oregon
15 Tennessee
16 Oregon St
17 Stanford
18 Louisville
19 North Carolina
20 Coastal Car
21 UCLA
22 Campbell
23 Connecticut
24 Texas Tech
25 Miami FL

Big 10:

28 Iowa
44 Indiana
50 Nebraska
52 Rutgers
61 Michigan St
67 Maryland
74 Ohio St
95 Illinois
102 Penn St
106 Michigan
137 Purdue
194 Minnesota
271 Northwestern

Indiana's opponents this week: Louisville (#18), Cincinnati (#206), and Ohio (#156).

Still intrigued by what we're doing pitching wise... with Seti pitching/starting tonight, I wonder if this is a message by Mercer. He sees that if we walk the dog the last 6 weeks, we could host.... I hope that's the case. 

Along with that--- does he try to move Sinnard to the Friday night role? Luke threw 72p on Saturday, I think he could definitely throw 50-60p come this Friday and be ready to go game 1 vs. Maryland the following weekend. 

If you can get him to Friday... 1. Use Kraft on Friday and Sunday both, possibly Yoho in that set up, as well. 2. If you get an extended outing from Sinnard, Kraft could could throw LONG relief, on Sat/Sun if we struggle. 

But... who starts Game 2 of a series? Do you axe Kraft from the pen and have him start game 2? Or Brooks Ey? I'm very interested. 

I've mentioned this before... it's big we get to play midweeks against-- UK, UL, and IN ST. 4 games against schools with a Top 25 RPI. Playing in the Midwest has plenty of disadvantages, but not many, or any of the other B1G schools have that type of ability to schedule. 

Maryland, Rutgers a little bit because of proximity on the East Coast. But I still don't see Maryland taking advantage of it like they should. 

Past those 3 schools--- Ball St, Evansville both have very solid RPIs and Kent St does this year, as well. Evansville has been solid for a while on the diamond. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I've mentioned this before... it's big we get to play midweeks against-- UK, UL, and IN ST. 4 games against schools with a Top 25 RPI. Playing in the Midwest has plenty of disadvantages, but not many, or any of the other B1G schools have that type of ability to schedule. 

Maryland, Rutgers a little bit because of proximity on the East Coast. But I still don't see Maryland taking advantage of it like they should. 

Past those 3 schools--- Ball St, Evansville both have very solid RPIs and Kent St does this year, as well. Evansville has been solid for a while on the diamond. 

Yes the Aces are playing really well....

Couple of things IU needs to happen... 

Iowa RPI= 56

Maryland RPI= 57

... we need those two RPIs to get below 50. They become Q1 games at that point, and Indiana has already taken 2/3 from Iowa, take 2/3 from Maryland next weekend.... sweep NW, Purdue, and Ohio and we would probably be favored to host. 

Especially assuming if Maryland and Iowa can be Q1 games. Yes, we need to root for Maryland to take 2 or 3 this weekend against Purdue, makes it harder in the standings, but need the RPI boost. Same with Iowa against Neb.. .we want Iowa to win that series. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

good write up on the FR

Thanks for posting this. Of all the sounds in sports from swishing of the net, to starting the engines at 500, to hitting a ball flush on the golf course....I still think the greatest sound is the ball off a bat and you know it's gone. 

• Like 1