IU Baseball 2024

btownqb

Here are my national and Big 10 computer ratings updated through yesterday's games.  First time IU has dropped this season after a steady climb up, but it is a big drop:

1 Wake Forest
2 LSU
3 South Carolina
4 Duke
5 Virginia
6 Kentucky
7 Vanderbilt
8 Tennessee
9 Florida
10 Alabama
11 Oregon St
12 West Virginia
13 Louisville
14 Oregon
15 Arkansas
16 Coastal Car
17 Arizona
18 NC State
19 Campbell
20 North Carolina
21 Clemson
22 Virginia Tech
23 Stanford
24 UCLA
25 UC Irvine

Big 10:

31 Iowa
42 Maryland
52 Indiana
54 Rutgers
57 Nebraska
63 Michigan St
92 Penn St
93 Ohio St
98 Illinois
104 Michigan
120 Purdue
204 Minnesota
257 Northwestern

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I didn't realize until this morning how young this team actually is. 

Oh man... stay healthy, avoid ppl leaving in the portal and personally I think we should be pre season Top 25. 

The staff is considerably better and doesn't lose a lot and Holderfield comes back. 

Sinnard, Kraft, Risedorph, Manase, Foley, Phillips, Holderfield is a really nice place to start for any staff. Plus I know we are adding two LHP FR we like and hopefully the kid from MO (Benes) can be a dude day 1. 

FR on this staff have thrown 135.2 innings at a 4.79ERA. We also have a 6'8 250lbs FR that's RSing and he throws 94. 

Big ?s

1. Shortstop-- can you fill that in house or portal? 

2. Catcher same thing.. (almost sure we have two young ones we like, along with an incoming FR, probably no portal necessary)..

3. Does Whalen come back? (CF)

4. Does Wiggins make it to campus? 

A lineup with Wiggins, Taylor, Mathison, Pyne, Cerny, and Tibbitts is just unreal. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh man... stay healthy, avoid ppl leaving in the portal and personally I think we should be pre season Top 25. 

The staff is considerably better and doesn't lose a lot and Holderfield comes back. 

Sinnard, Kraft, Risedorph, Manase, Foley, Phillips, Holderfield is a really nice place to start for any staff. Plus I know we are adding two LHP FR we like and hopefully the kid from MO (Benes) can be a dude day 1. 

FR on this staff have thrown 135.2 innings at a 4.79ERA. We also have a 6'8 250lbs FR that's RSing and he throws 94. 

Big ?s

1. Shortstop-- can you fill that in house or portal? 

2. Catcher same thing.. (almost sure we have two young ones we like, along with an incoming FR, probably no portal necessary)..

3. Does Whalen come back? (CF)

4. Does Wiggins make it to campus? 

A lineup with Wiggins, Taylor, Mathison, Pyne, Cerny, and Tibbitts is just unreal. 

What could have been if we had Colson Montgomery for a couple of years. Definitely see a preseason top 25 next year. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

What could have been if we had Colson Montgomery for a couple of years. Definitely see a preseason top 25 next year. 

Like.. that was said in the mind frame "this sport is still all about pitching" right? I mean, for sure.. we'd be better than him... just, we are one elite-- Sinnard/Kraft/Yoho level arm away from being DAMN good. 

Colson would make a great offense, even greater. 

Remember.. Ben Hess went to Bama because Justin Parker took the pitching job at So Carolina (the baseball equivalent to probably Florida in football) 

And I harp on this because Hess was committed for like 3 years and even signed his LOI... you don't just find or develop arms like that or plan to absorb the loss of that.. 

I'm staunch on Jeff Mercer and staff.. he's like 34-35 years olds.. he's growing, as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Like.. that was said in the mind frame "this sport is still all about pitching" right? I mean, for sure.. we'd be better than him... just, we are one elite-- Sinnard/Kraft/Yoho level arm away from being DAMN good. 

Colson would make a great offense, even greater. 

Remember.. Ben Hess went to Bama because Justin Parker took the pitching job at So Carolina (the baseball equivalent to probably Florida in football) 

And I harp on this because Hess was committed for like 3 years and even signed his LOI... you don't just find or develop arms like that or plan to absorb the loss of that.. 

I'm staunch on Jeff Mercer and staff.. he's like 34-35 years olds.. he's growing, as well. 

Love Mercer and what he's been doing. Glad he's from the state too....have a punchers chance to keep if/when some of the bigger programs come calling.

• Like 1

There are many college baseball polls.  The end of the season D1 poll has Md. at #23.   No other B1G teams in top 25.  IU beat Auburn #19 in 1 game of a 3 game series.  We hand single losses to East Carolina #15, UK #25, and 3 losses to #23 Md.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, slojoe said:

There are many college baseball polls.  The end of the season D1 poll has Md. at #23.   No other B1G teams in top 25.  IU beat Auburn #19 in 1 game of a 3 game series.  We hand single losses to East Carolina #15, UK #25, and 3 losses to #23 Md.

MD being ranked is crazy. Poor poll on their part. 

MD sweeping us simply looks like an anomaly on both ends, currently. 

Sidenote-- we are all big INST fans this weekend. 

Have not updated these for a couple weeks, but with the poll discussion above and the end of the regular season here, I thought I would post an update.  Again these computer rankings are similar in formula to the NET or Pomeroy in basketball, so much more predictive than the RPI.  Will try to post again before the NCAA Tournament.

National Top 25:

1 Wake Forest
2 LSU
3 Virginia
4 Kentucky
5 Alabama
6 South Carolina
7 Florida
8 Tennessee
9 Duke
10 Vanderbilt
11 Clemson