2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

On 11/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, DC2345 said:

He would be able to play alongside Ware easier than he could Reese at Maryland so I highly doubt that is part of the thought process. 

You don't think existing players and available playing time are part of the though process? Seems like you have identified a great reason why he hasn't already signed with MD. Would stand to reason then that he would be looking for a better fit. We may or may not be that.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This makes sense to me in terms of Queen evaluating Indiana. Not sure on the other schools. 

But if I'm Queen and I'm considering IU, I want to know who out of Ware, Reneau and Sparks is leaving or coming back next year. 

Really that's just saying Ware. I can't imagine Reneau or Sparks going pro. Seems like Queen would play well beside Reneau and I would assume Queen thinks he can beat Sparks for minutes (and he's probably right).

13 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Really that's just saying Ware. I can't imagine Reneau or Sparks going pro. Seems like Queen would play well beside Reneau and I would assume Queen thinks he can beat Sparks for minutes (and he's probably right).

Not really. If Reneau averages double figures this year and close to 7 pr 8 boards (yes, I know he only had 1 on Sunday) he could absolutely go pro. 

Pro doesn't just mean the NBA. He may want to get started on his career. Make 6 figures in Europe or begin getting serious NBA evaluation in the G League. 

I don't know what his goals are, but less talented players have turned pro. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really. If Reneau averages double figures this year and close to 7 pr 8 boards (yes, I know he only had 1 on Sunday) he could absolutely go pro. 

Pro doesn't just mean the NBA. He may want to get started on his career. Make 6 figures in Europe or begin getting serious NBA evaluation in the G League. 

Seems like that would be him taking a pay cut. Especially if he averages 12 and 8, seems like he would get a raise if he stays.

Regardless, if I'm Queen, I don't think I care one way lor the other what Reneau does. I do care what Ware does. In theory, Sparks could impact things, but the little bit we've seen thus far doesn't suggest he is going to beat out a 5 star for minutes.

55 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

really? can you link? I missed this

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090255-2024-nba-mock-draft-top-60-prospect-projections

MM 14, Ware 20. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10095458-2024-nba-mock-draft-full-predictions-as-college-basketball-tips-off

Another one with Ware 22, MM 28. 

Most mocks have both in the first round. 

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2024-nba-mock-draft/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

These are not opening for me, but articles saying they are highly rated is different than the players coming out and actually saying they're 1-and-dones.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is spot on. Reneau has a soft touch. if he continues to develop the 3pt shot he definitely become a prospect. Probably not a first round but a second round. He fits the modern NBA game. Needs to continue to work on exploding of the floor

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

This is spot on. Reneau has a soft touch. if he continues to develop the 3pt shot he definitely become a prospect. Probably not a first round but a second round. He fits the modern NBA game. Needs to continue to work on exploding of the floor

I don't know. He isn't tall enough to play a stretch 4. He isn't athletic enough to be a 3. If he's going to make the NBA, he needs to be really good at basketball on both ends of the floor. I actually thought his on ball defense was good that first game, so maybe he will be really good, but he has a long way to go. He doesn't have the high ceiling that will get him drafted if he's only pretty good at basketball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Seems like that would be him taking a pay cut. Especially if he averages 12 and 8, seems like he would get a raise if he stays.

Regardless, if I'm Queen, I don't think I care one way lor the other what Reneau does. I do care what Ware does. In theory, Sparks could impact things, but the little bit we've seen thus far doesn't suggest he is going to beat out a 5 star for minutes.

How would you know? We don't know what he makes and guys in Europe can make mid six figures, plus you don't have to go to class.  

Again, if he averaged something like 14 and 7 and shot 30ish% from 3, he'd absolutely be a pro prospect. Maybe not a first rounder, but we don't know what his goals are and way worse talent than that has turned pro. It's not something that would be off the table. 

It's smart of Queen to monitor the bigs situation at IU. 

55 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Wasn't doubting the mocks, just the fact that both had verbally said it (apparently at media day?) which is fundamentally different IMO

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Gotcha. Whether they said it or not, probably did, if they are projected first round picks, they will leave. 

Seems odd that two players would say, "I'm outta here after the season" at media day?

Maybe Scott read reports that both want to leave for the NBA after this season, would just be surprised if they both outright said it as a fact/certainty. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Huh? Ware is widely projected as a lottery pick. I don't think Reneau is NBA ready, but worse players have tested the waters and ultimately declared. 

I dont think Sparks is going anywhere, but if all three do end up coming back, then I doubt Queen comes here. 

I doubt Sparks returning scares off a 5* recruit. Especially one who hasn't eliminated Kansas despite them having Bazinga in coming. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I doubt Sparks returning scares off a 5* recruit. Especially one who hasn't eliminated Kansas despite them having Bazinga in coming. 

Sparks wasn't really my point. The point is that if all three come back then I doubt he comes here. 

Even if two of them come back he may not want to come. We don't know what Queen values, but looking at this from his perspective, not the perspective of an IU fan, it makes sense to wait until Spring and see how the frontcourt picture shakes out. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Sparks wasn't really my point. The point is that if all three come back then I doubt he comes here. 

Even if two of them come back he may not want to come. We don't know what Queen values, but looking at this from his perspective, not the perspective of an IU fan, it makes sense to wait until Spring and see how the frontcourt picture shakes out. 

I'm pretty sure Ware is gone regardless. Woodson was able to play TJD and Thompson together so no reason Reneau and Queen couldn't play together. So only Sparks would be the direct competition for Queen. 

4 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm pretty sure Ware is gone regardless. Woodson was able to play TJD and Thompson together so no reason Reneau and Queen couldn't play together. So only Sparks would be the direct competition for Queen. 

We don't know any of that though. Ware looked good at the start of last season for Oregon too and then it all went south. 

There aren't guarantees. People thought TJD wanted to be one and done and then two and done and all of the sudden he was here 4 years. 

You also have Julian Reece who is a junior Maryland. Maybe he stays or goes?

We don't know and it makes sense for Queen to wait given who he's down too.