2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

3 hours ago, IUJoe said:

I remember hearing that year after year about TJD.  Nobody knew then; nobody knows now.

That’s not true. People do know what the intentions are. The problem is things can always change. 

Edited by DC2345

Just now, btownqb said:

Where? 

The plan is still to go pro and the staff is planning as if he will be gone. That could change of course depending on NBA feedback after the season but as of now that’s the plan. His progress is trending in the right direction for that as of late as well. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I guess but I look at things from the perspective of what the staff is planning on because that’s the most likely outcome.

The staff isn't drafting.  Ware is more likely to have a chance than Mgbako but if you were Queen would you be willing to bet on it.  That's what matters.

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The staff isn't drafting.  Ware is more likely to have a chance than Mgbako but if you were Queen would you be willing to bet on it.  That's what matters.

Neither will be back.

• Haha 1

Not sure it matters even if ever comes back that can come back. There are minutes to be had with walker leaving.  Getting to practice against Reneau and Ware is only going to make you better. Queen is not likely to be a one and done. He is more like Reneau it will take some time. He has work to on getting into better shape and stronger. 

He has the ability to drive the ball, nice footwork and soft touch. His game looked compare Reneau with except the jump shot range

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The plan is still to go pro and the staff is planning as if he will be gone. That could change of course depending on NBA feedback after the season but as of now that’s the plan. His progress is trending in the right direction for that as of late as well. 

The feedback is going to send him back to school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Neither will be back.

Where is Mgbako going:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/mackenzie-mgbako/

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/checking-in-on-nba-draft-stock-for-ware-mgbako

Based on your posts here I don't think you have any inside knowledge so to say he is 100% gone is just you talking out your ass.  Unless he has specifically said he is transferring or going overseas after this year (and you are privy to those conversations and we both know you are not) then you can't say the kid is 100% gone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Where is Mgbako going:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/mackenzie-mgbako/

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/checking-in-on-nba-draft-stock-for-ware-mgbako

Based on your posts here I don't think you have any inside knowledge so to say he is 100% gone is just you talking out your ass.  Unless he has specifically said he is transferring or going overseas after this year (and you are privy to those conversations and we both know you are not) then you can't say the kid is 100% gone.

Do you believe DC2345? His percentages are very similar.

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I guess but I look at things from the perspective of what the staff is planning on because that’s the most likely outcome.

I get that, but I hope the staff has multiple backup plans in place.  I hope the staff remembers that their perspective as to what kids are going to do 5 months in the future hasn't necessarily matched what has actually ended up happening.  And that's not a knock on the staff, it's just reality.  Nobody can sit here and say with anywhere near 100% certainty what a kid is going to decide 5 months from now. 

• Like 1

I also like attaching numbers to my guesses. I'm going with,

Walker: 99% (I be believe there are still enough games for him to get a 6th year if he gets hurt soon and we win a couple post season games).

Ware: 96%. He has to have improved his draft stock, and another year seems unlikely to move the needle. The 4% he stays comes from the idea that he's probably making more now than a kid 2nd rounder makes, so maybe he gets bad feedback and doesn't want to take the risk.

MM: 52%. He's not explosive, so I don't see the NBA drooling over him. Seems like the kind of kid that has to actually play really good basketball to get drafted. He's coming along, but clearly hasn't had a lot of great coaching in his past, so it's either college or G- league next year.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I believe that people think that is the case but I don't think the NBA is going to draft Mgbako.  So then what?

That maybe the case for now. If he continues to improve he very well may go pro. JHS came on strong in middle of january till the end of season and flew up the draft board. 

I personally think he will play another year in college unless he drastically improves. Certainly time left for him to that. More than likely he is back 

• Like 1

My humble and unsolicited opinion on Mgbako -- since he's already making a nice bit of coin in college now, the impetus to jump into the professional waters might not be as certain as it could've been for a similar player in years past.

If he goes pro, he will no doubt become a better basketball player, but I don't think he gets drafted high enough to have the right/requisite attention to help him long term. Fair or not, being in the G-league will make it a bit more challenging to make the bump because of the inherent perceptions that are placed on certain players. Not impossible, but trickier. And who knows what the salary comparison will be like... 

If he stays at IU, he might not become a "better" basketball player (than he would become by turning professional) in this next year, but he could be good enough and progress enough to have even more notoriety and exposure, which could help him in the long term by getting drafted higher.

I'm pulling numbers out my ass here, but hypothetically if he's "rated" a, say 83 as a first year player with the Grand Rapids Gold vs a 80 as an IU Sophomore, I believe he'll have better long term prospects staying in college. So much of a player's value can come from their story as much as their inherent skill and abilities; JHS is a great example... you could argue that there are many players just as good as him playing G League ball, but their story didn't have the same spotlight as his, and that's likely what launched him to his final draft position.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I believe that people think that is the case but I don't think the NBA is going to draft Mgbako.  So then what?

There’s guys every year that leave school even though they aren’t a guaranteed first round pick. It’s not smart but it happens all the time. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:47 PM, DC2345 said:

In Europe or Asia?