Eastern Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Aside from Rob and Jordan, im just happy Race and TJD took a couple outside shots. I know they didnt fall for the most part, but you have to take 'em before you make 'em.  Im not saying i want those 2 jacking up jumpshots all game, but if we can get several game tapes of them hitting a couple its going to give teams somethibg else to think about.

On a different note, from those that know more than i do, what makes that Shakakhan kid (for example) a mid-major and "pick an IU guard from the last 6 years" a high major?  We constantly get torched by kids that come in and give zero f's what the names on the jerseys are. Do those kids just out kick their coverage for 1 game against us or should we look at getting a couple sometime?

I think earlier in this thread someone said Farrakhan was a highly rated recruit earlier in his high school career, but ended up in the 300 range by the time he was a senior...

But let's not get carried away...as XJ pointed out in the post game, he was 5-21 "he had to make one" I think was the comment...

And a couple of those were circus shots..

I thought the McBride kid spurred the comeback early...

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's if you agree with the analysts that labeled him a 5 star. Sometimes the small time assistant coaches turned recruiting analysts have guys pegged wrong. 

No clue what the future holds for young Mr. Lander......just don't like the early narrative going on boards. Transfer,etc....he's 18. Let's give him a few months is all I want. 

That’s fair ….I thought he had the athleticism and pedigree of a five start but I didn’t have him as a top ten or fifteen recruit …and you are right he’s still young, I also am speaking in generalities as I don’t have any background on his personality.  For all I know this is something that would put a chip on his shoulder and motivate him.  It’s an unfortunate assumption but the modern player hasn’t had a track record of showing that kind of patience or dedication.  Hope you’re right , won’t be shocked if I am 

50 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Pre-season CBS Sports had EMU 315th and NIU 217th so we might see a competitive step-up next game.

I honestly don't think you will. EMU is quite a bit better than 315.  That's 99% from last season and as I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see them maybe claw up to the 150's. I would be pretty surprised if they didn't at least get to the NIU level.  There are no way 314 teams better than that in D1.  If there is, IU is in real trouble. 

...but genuinely, while they are not anywhere near Power 5 level competition, they are better than 315.  I'd bet a lot of money on that.  Stan Heath is a solid coach and those kids played hard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I honestly don't think you will. EMU is quite a bit better than 315.  That's 99% from last season and as I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see them maybe claw up to the 150's. I would be pretty surprised if they didn't at least get to the NIU level.  There are no way 314 teams better than that in D1.  If there is, IU is in real trouble. 

...but genuinely, while they are not anywhere near Power 5 level competition, they are better than 315.  I'd bet a lot of money on that.  Stan Heath is a solid coach and those kids played hard.

EMU will go as far as Farrakhan will take them. When he’s hot, they’ll be dangerous. When he’s not, not sure they have the pieces to make up for that. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think earlier in this thread someone said Farrakhan was a highly rated recruit earlier in his high school career, but ended up in the 300 range by the time he was a senior...

But let's not get carried away...as XJ pointed out in the post game, he was 5-21 "he had to make one" I think was the comment...

And a couple of those were circus shots..

I thought the McBride kid spurred the comeback early...

Thats fair. Farah Faucet is just what stood out during the game, im sure because of the circus shots.

Just now, IndyHoosier22 said:

EMU will go as far as Farrakhan will take them. When he’s hot, they’ll be dangerous. When he’s not, not sure they have the pieces to make up for that. 

IU absolutely had him bottled up and frustrated the first 30 minutes.  Great defensive game plan that simply wasn't sustained for 40 minutes.  Binelli is a good shooter from outside and the McBride kid is a solid player.  Their bigs were lacking but made Trayce work hard for his buckets.  They're still a cupcake, but they are better than 315 by quite a bit, IMO.  A good coach helps a lot and I like theirs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

How many remember Stan at Arkansas?  He has won pretty much everywhere he has been.

Yes, he has...he'd made the NCAA Tourney his last 2 years at Arkansas, and his departure there surprised me...he did struggle a little at South Florida, but I believe I saw where he was G league coach of the year recently...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Lighten up Francis.

Probably came across a bit more hostile than I intended and may have been a bit of an overreaction. Not saying anyone isn't free to post their thoughts on other aspects of the game. It just came across a classic case of finding other things to complain about once one thing goes wrong. Again, not trying to strike a nerve with anyone. 

• Like 1

Couldn't watch live due to Little Keet's game.  Unfortunately, my DVR screwed up and only recorded the first 14 minutes.  Someone at the game told me the halftime score and I thought, "Okay, here we go."  I walk out of the game and see a text from a buddy that says, "I just turned on the radio and heard the score," accompanied by a set of googly eyes.  My heart sunk.  

Thank you all for your input on the game.  It helped out this Hoosier who didn't see it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Couldn't watch live due to Little Keet's game.  Unfortunately, my DVR screwed up and only recorded the first 14 minutes.  Someone at the game told me the halftime score and I thought, "Okay, here we go."  I walk out of the game and see a text from a buddy that says, "I just turned on the radio and heard the score," accompanied by a set of googly eyes.  My heart sunk.  

Thank you all for your input on the game.  It helped out this Hoosier who didn't see it. 

The most important thing, how did Keets game go??

• Like 1

Also I appreciate that everyone seems to be relatively understanding that this is the first game and things will hopefully improve as coach and the players get going through the season.  I was talking to my neighbor and he said a few people around him said we might as well have kept Archie if this is how things are going to be 😩.  I didn’t have many people around us, unfortunately a few to many open seats so didn’t here much talk like that so hopefully it was limited as that’s just bonkers.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing on Stewart and Kopp...early, we got a couple of good 3 looks in transition, one of which Parker's drained in rhythm...

After the first 5 minutes, it looked like we forgot all about getting points like that in transition...

I wonder if that had to do with XJ’s turnovers. After his stint of 3 TO’s, we seemed to play a little more under control but now that I think about it, it coincided with a drop off in transition points. I definitely think XJ is going to be key in getting us out in transition, he just has to value the ball more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

I wonder if that had to do with XJ’s turnovers. After his stint of 3 TO’s, we seemed to play a little more under control but now that I think about it, it coincided with a drop off in transition points. I definitely think XJ is going to be key in getting us out in transition, he just has to value the ball more. 

That's a great point and could very well be true...

Focus on getting rid of the turnovers AND still look for some transition points may be a teaching point of emphasis...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Could very well be that Phin doesn't push the floor or look for the dish as quickly as XJ does.  I do not like Phin at the point anytime this season.  Play him at the 2 or on the bench.  He does not do well running an offense.  I would rather have Bates, Lander or even Galloway playing pass the ball instead of the dribble game phin likes to play.

• Like 3