'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, this kind of thing can absolutely happen. I am honestly rooting for this to be what happened.

But at the same time, it really feels like Bama athletics, police, etc. just heard the first thing Miller and his lawyer could come up with and said, "yup, our star player is innocent". 

Agree. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Miller's lawyers and the university are now saying Miles left the gun in Miller's car without Miller's knowledge, that Miller was already on his way to pick Miles up and never saw the text asking for the gun, and arrived and Miles got the gun without Miller ever touching it or knowing anything about anything. 

Well...that's a convenient narrative.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I believe the text messages where the gun was requested by Miles also mentioned the argument.

Wouldn't saying, "hey I'm in an argument, bring me my loaded gun" generally put the person bringing the gun into a position of knowledge about what might happen? 

I had not seen that.  You are definitely correct If I was prosecuting the case that would be a central component to determining if he should be charged.  Any other information that comes to light that suggests prior knowledge increased the likelihood he may face some criminal liability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I understand that, but we have text messages saying otherwise, right?

Doesn't the fact that we have conflicting information show a full investigation needs to happen, and potentially a jury trial to determine the truth? 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Was just sharing the info, not saying I'm buying it. 

I don’t know if there is conflicting info or not. It would depend on if/how Miller replied to Miles' text messages. His lawyer is making it sound like Miller didn't reply or even see the message Miles sent asking for the gun. 

Again, not saying I buy it, just sharing what the lawyer is selling. 

That's fair, and I honestly hope that what the attorney is saying is the truth.

The fact that Bama and the DA decided to it didn't even require an investigation is pretty telling, IMO. 

Speculation here …every case is SUPPOSED to be handled the same regardless of who the victim is and regardless of who the alleged offender is…. that being said, it doesn’t always shake out that way.  I’ve done no research into the prosecutors current election cycle , prosecutorial history, or political affiliation but just evaluating generally my guess is he or she is going to be slow to file any formal charge against miller even if initial information supports it.  The following are substantial factors 1. It’s going to be a high profile case so you either show off for the cameras or you’re careful not to make a mistake to look stupid when the magnifying glass is on you  2.  It’s unfortunate that our current climate is what it is but millers race has to factor into the timing decision because you don’t want the aclu or Ben crump ripping you for filing a formal charge without sufficient position to do so.  Well founded filings are scrutinized …Reactionary filings are crucified so if you decide to charge him make sure you’re right first 3.  A slight delay could let miller finish his season so even if you choose to charge him you haven’t alienated a fan base that may make up a large portion or your electorate and you also may win favor with the university which could carry political influence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The media (even ESPN) is calling for Miller to be suspended, and the program to be shut down for the remainder of season just like New Mexico State. I’m sure Alabama is going to try to ride this out until the coverage dies down, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen anytime soon. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, and if he makes it through the end of season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The media (even ESPN) is calling for Miller to be suspended, and the program to be shut down for the remainder of season just like New Mexico State. I’m sure Alabama is going to try to ride this out until the coverage dies down, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen anytime soon. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, and if he makes it through the end of season.

Interesting for sure but with where they sit I think there is too much on the line for them to shut it down ….I think they would have to become aware of additional circumstances/evidence that is likely to clearly implicate miller. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Interesting for sure but with where they sit I think there is too much on the line for them to shut it down ….I think they would have to become aware of additional circumstances/evidence that is likely to clearly implicate miller. 

I mean shouldn't the NCAA step in at this point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I mean shouldn't the NCAA step in at this point?

Morally ? Probably ….optically ? Probably ….I think the problem is the prevailing fear that if you take an administrative action and NOTHING ever comes to light that would implicate miller criminally or, worse , if something clearly exculpatory is brought into the public domain now you’re going to deal with not only the wrath of the school and fanbase but also the direct brunt of our fair weather/ bandwagon  media who will jump on whatever the trend du jour is.  headline:  NCAA unfairly ruins alabamas best historical season and drastically damages top prospects draft status ( probably written more dramatically )

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Morally ? Probably ….optically ? Probably ….I think the problem is the prevailing fear that if you take an administrative action and NOTHING ever comes to light that would implicate miller criminally or, worse , if something clearly exculpatory is brought into the public domain now you’re going to deal with not only the wrath of the school and fanbase but also the direct brunt of our fair weather/ bandwagon  media who will jump on whatever the trend du jour is.  headline:  NCAA unfairly ruins alabamas best historical season and drastically damages top prospects draft status ( probably written more dramatically )

Yeah, the NCAA risks getting sued if nothing comes to light that criminally implicates Miller, but unfortunately, I bet they are even more concerned about other claims that would be made if they took action…. in other words implications that they are only taking action bc he is…. The world we live in.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, the NCAA risks getting sued if nothing comes to light that criminally implicates Miller, but unfortunately, I bet they are even more concerned about other claims that would be made if they took action…. in other words implications that they are only taking action bc he is…. The world we live in.

albeit it is/would be different, but doesnt the NCAA have an obligation for this just like the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. X player is suspended pending investigations. In most circumstances the university can and do implicate their own penalties, but in this circumstance where the university decides to sweep it under the rug, the NCAA should have the ability to step in and say you, Alabama, are incompetent, and your university is out of control. 

Side question, maybe dumb, just thinking, but wouldnt Saban and the football program want this put to bed ASAP before the NCAA does come and investigate? i know two different sports, but things could be unearthed when/if NCAA comes knocking on the doors in Tuscaloosa. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Side question, maybe dumb, just thinking, but wouldnt Saban and the football program want this put to bed ASAP before the NCAA does come and investigate? i know two different sports, but things could be unearthed when/if NCAA comes knocking on the doors in Tuscaloosa. 

I know this. If I was the control freak that I think Saban is who has spent years of building this empire. I'm not going to be sitting around doing nothing because the casual fan is saying this. Geez if they let that go on at the hoops program no doubt they let a ton of stuff go on in football program. He knows that too.

Now the Oats approach worked for Bobby Bowden for years. Kid messes up you put your arm around him gosh golly darn he made a mistake but he's a really good kid,etc....just depends on what side of the media you reside. Bowden was loved so they overlooked it. Seems like Oats is 50/50 right now. Bilas coming out last night and saying his stuff can be absolutely right. Or it can be spun that he's walking the company line because ESPN has SEC interests.

• Like 1

Sounds like the dumbest thing Miller did is being a dumba$$ and having a dumba$$ for a friend.  If a guy asks you to hold on to his firearm you say take care of your own stuff buddy. 

If the same thing happened to any of us we would be able to go about our business until an investigation brought a formal charge and arrested. The kid hasn't even been charged with anything. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sounds like the dumbest thing Miller did is being a dumba$$ and having a dumba$$ for a friend.  If a guy asks you to hold on to his firearm you say take care of your own stuff buddy. 

If the same thing happened to any of us we would be able to go about our business until an investigation brought a formal charge and arrested. The kid hasn't even been charged with anything. 

You’re right to an extent, but pretty naive to think he had no idea what was going on or that he shouldn’t have known better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You’re right to an extent, but pretty naive to think he had no idea what was going on or that he shouldn’t have known better. 

And I think a big part of the issue is most of us would have been charged. He’s the best player on a national title contender, at a school with a history of looking the other way to shady dealings including possible murder.