NCAA Eliminating One-Year Ineligibility Rule for Transfers?

It's already the wild west. Why not. The only thing I would hope is that the NCAA protects APR rating for schools and on flip side....a kid can transfer if he or she has minimum course load (24 credit hours per year) and maintained a 2.5....dangle that carrot. Better for both sides. 

Edit-I certainly would prefer not to go this route but we are so far gone on what's right with coaches, agents, aau influences....let the kids go where they want.

Play 'immediately'?  Like I play for Michigan State on Tuesday, IU on Saturday, and Ohio State the following Monday?  :coffee:

Seriously, this could really damage the product.  It will basically cause free agency and coaches are going to have to recruit both high schoolers AND transfers.

No surprise that the brain trust at the NCAA would come up with something like this... ignore the larger issue of the "one and done" rule and address a much lesser issue.  Business as usual.  As for the proposed rule itself:  There are always a group of people that will look to exploit any rule for their own benefit.  This one could cause a raft of problems in that regard.  Glad the Ball boys are in Europe.  Can you imagine what ol' LaVar would do with this little gem?

It would be a total free for all.  Coaches would have to be in fear of losing players constantly, because one wrong move would lead to any player just up and leaving.  UK, Duke, and Kansas would  be poaching players from everyone and putting out even more ridiculous all star lineups than they already are.  Any good player on a bad team would be gone at the first opportunity.

If I were to change the transfer rule at all, I would allow any player to be immediately eligible after a coaching change.  In that case, the situation is completely out of the player’s control, and it’s not fair to require players to stay in a situation they didn’t sign up for.  But getting rid of the rule entirely would be a really bad idea.

I think this is just about the worst idea I have ever heard. What would stop coaches from trying to poach your players? Rosters would constantly be overturned-even more than they already are. It would be awful.

The worst part? It will demolish the small schools. As soon as a player has a break out year he will transfer to a bigger school for more exposure, bigger conference, etc. Say goodbye to the small schools that are tough as hell because they are full of 4 year players who are totally bought in on the system.

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it would be as bad see everyone else seems to. And I really don't see the connection to the one and done rule, they seem unrelated. 

I think a lot more for into transferring than just rather or not you have to sit out a year. 

The connection being..... one rule is currently hurting the college game, and if implemented, the other would do the same.

In general I don't like the idea of allowing transfers without sitting out. We often hear about how coaches have all the power and the kids have none, which is a valid point, but sometimes I think we forget that maybe a rule like this (requiring sitting out a year) wasn't just put in place just to protect coaches. Maybe it was also put in place to protect kids/young men who have a tendency to make bad, impulsive decisions. 

How many times do we hear about a kid who thought about transferring, or who had problems with a coach early in his college career, come back years later and thank the coach for being hard on him and making him earn things? Now, that kid probably makes a mistake and transfers. I know transferring already happens a lot, but I think the guardrails are in place for a reason beyond just protecting coaches. 

With that said, I think a kid should be able to transfer immediately (with a time little on it) when there is a coaching change. I do like that they're proposing it be tied to academics and that you can only do it once. I also heard a report that there would be a window (maybe two weeks after the season) where it can happen, so it wouldn't be like a player can get upset about something in August and up and transfer right before school starts. So, it sounds like there putting some things in place so it's not just free agency. 

I'll never feel sorry for coaches who get lifetime $ to deal with these issues but I will say this. Imagine Archie right now. He basically would have to not only focus on 18,19, and 20 recruits (life of a program) but he would almost have to spend time re-recruiting his current players who aren't getting the minutes they (or his family) thinks he deserves just to keep them around.

16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Thoughts?  I think this would be a total disaster.

this is going to be terrible for college basketball. We already see over 700 transfers a year with having to sit out and now if you don't have to sit out we will see mass exodus.  Kids are already impatient about playing time so anyone who does not see much time early will just transfer without any consequenses. It could also really hurt the mid majors if there star players can just go without sitting out and transfer to bigger programs.

16 hours ago, Lizard said:

No surprise that the brain trust at the NCAA would come up with something like this... ignore the larger issue of the "one and done" rule and address a much lesser issue.  Business as usual.  As for the proposed rule itself:  There are always a group of people that will look to exploit any rule for their own benefit.  This one could cause a raft of problems in that regard.  Glad the Ball boys are in Europe.  Can you imagine what ol' LaVar would do with this little gem?

NCAA can't do anything about the one and done rule because that is a NBA rule

I actually like the 1 time free transfer and play immediately.  If i transfer schools i don't have to sit out a year before taking classes.  Coaches don't have to sit a year before starting to coach.  If a kid decides that Kansas isn't the place for him, let him leave and go play somewhere else , once.   And if you Graduate and want to go somewhere else, who says they shouldn't be allowed too.  NCAA sports makes billions off these kids, who do get free rides and food and lodging, but that doesn't change the fact that billions are made.  I highly doubt you would get alot of 3 school transfers without having to sit out.  That would be the exception to the rule i would think.

But what do i know.  I guess we will see

In addition to allowing players to be immediately eligible after a coaching change, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to let players who have graduated be immediately eligible either.  Those two changes seem fair, and probably wouldn’t lead to the transfer epidemic getting much worse.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In addition to allowing players to be immediately eligible after a coaching change, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to let players who have graduated be immediately eligible either.  Those two changes seem fair, and probably wouldn’t lead to the transfer epidemic getting much worse.

I never understood why a student who graduates had to request permission to transfer and it had to be a school that offered a graduate program you wanted to be in.  Once graduated, the cost of the university drops unless they pay for his graduate under the scholarship, which i don't think happens.  They should be able to go where ever after that if they want to leave, they have fulfilled the scholarship agreement

http://www.insidethehall.com/2018/01/19/news-and-notes-from-archie-millers-radio-show-8/

Archie gives his thoughts:

On the potential for transfers to not have to sit out a season, “I’m not a fan of immediate eligibility for transfers. I think it would create a really, really difficult challenge as a coaching staff to not only maintain your roster from year-to-year but also, to maintain your program in general with some stability. It’s so easy now a days for a young guy to get good advice or bad advice, but the minute they’re able to leave and go somewhere immediately and start playing, you open up a lot of different avenues for, y’know tampering, recruiting. Just in general, when it’s not really going well, (to) have the ability to change course. As a staff, as a coach, the thing you always are trying to do is maintain your roster. Get older, get better. I think immediate eligibility for transfers is something that would be bad for the game.”

Archived