Jeff Goodman’s Mock draft

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I can’t think of one NBA forward that you can point to and say “TJD would/could be of that cloth”. He doesn’t have NBA size, shooting ability, handles, or quickness/explosiveness. He’s a very good college player but unless he develops an excellent outside shot he’ll have little opportunity at the next level. 

The 1st guy I think of is Cody Zeller.  Lived in the paint. Didnt develop any outside game at all. Good passer.  He's now on his 3rd? NBA contract. 

What's the major difference between TJD and Cody?  Other than 4 outside shooters, i dont see much of one while at IU. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

The 1st guy I think of is Cody Zeller.  Lived in the paint. Didnt develop any outside game at all. Good passer.  He's now on his 3rd? NBA contract. 

What's the major difference between TJD and Cody?  Other than 4 outside shooters, i dont see much of one while at IU. 

One of TJD’s challenges is the competition at power forward in this draft. He’s projected as 18th PF on this list

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/trayce-jackson-davis/

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

2-3 inches (I don’t think TJD is a true 6’9 but we shall see come combine time) and a bigger frame, passing ability and midrange jumper come to mind. Cody isn’t light years ahead of TJD and if he were 6’8 he’d be out of the league 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

2-3 inches (I don’t think TJD is a true 6’9 but we shall see come combine time) and a bigger frame, passing ability and midrange jumper come to mind. Cody isn’t light years ahead of TJD and if he were 6’8 he’d be out of the league 

Agree on most of that, Cody is also a better athlete, but he definitely does not have a midrange jumper. Zeller's midrange is probably worse than TJD's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree on most of that, Cody is also a better athlete, but he definitely does not have a midrange jumper. Zeller's midrange is probably worse than TJD's. 

Ya, admitedly, ive not watched Cody in the pros, but the only time i remember him shooting outside of 4ft was a freethrow. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

I feel like with bigs especially, it's really hard right now to project who will translate to the NBA and who won't. TJD could end up a guy who thrives as an athletic 5 and with the spacing in the NBA. He could also end up a guy who is too undersized to defend and rebound and never develops a jumper. 

It's just so hard to tell anymore with how the game is played. Who knows?

I'm not much of a NBA fan anymore, but the player he reminds me of in college is Julius Randle.  Dominant college player with no outside shot, and only went to his left. With my wife being an UK fan, I watched most of his games. He was obviously much stronger, but their size and skill level in college seem similar.   Randle has obviously had a nice NBA career and learned to shoot,  so could TJD play that kind of role?

Tjd doesn’t jump off the screen as super athletic( as elite athletes go) all the time, but he makes some blocks and dunks that make me say wow and shows more explosiveness than I thought he had. He develops an outside shot and I think he can have a good pro career. Don’t see him as a first round pick. Hell look at Luka Garza. He’s averaging 3 points a game with an outside shot and dominated everyone last 2 years in college. Albeit his rookie year. I think because of lack of team success some of us don’t appreciate just home dominant tjd is at times. He’s awfully impressive. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Tjd doesn’t jump off the screen as super athletic( as elite athletes go) all the time, but he makes some blocks and dunks that make me say wow and shows more explosiveness than I thought he had. He develops an outside shot and I think he can have a good pro career. Don’t see him as a first round pick. Hell look at Luka Garza. He’s averaging 3 points a game with an outside shot and dominated everyone last 2 years in college. Albeit his rookie year. I think because of lack of team success some of us don’t appreciate just home dominant tjd is at times. He’s awfully impressive. 

Be awfully MORE impressive if he didn’t miss 3-5 bunnies every game. 

• Like 1

TJD has a lot going for him but the question is how does his game translate to the NBA ? It's difficult right now to see him being more than end of the bench help and that gets signed over or drafted over rather quickly. 

Defensively, he has some size but he's not a monster physically. Who does he guard at the NBA level? Offensively, it's going to be difficult without a reliable jump shot. We've heard a lot about his need to develop one but I haven't seen much evidence so far. 

Selfishly, would like to see him stay another season in hopes of developing the game he needs. That's probably not realistic. But I hate seeing these guys jump knowing they probably won't have the NBA career they always wanted. If he could use one more year to develop that jump shot and give himself more than a cup of coffee in the league, seems it would be a better option. Whatever he decides, IU fans are glad for the time we've had to watch him play.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Saw a mock draft that had TJD on the bubble (62) and Cockburn(58) and Liddell (57) late second round. Said TJD will need to shoot better to make the league. 

Had Hunter Dickinson at 67 and Dawson Garcia at 65

While I have no clue if those numbers/draft positions are accurate, we do know that there are plenty of great college players who never make a NBA roster.  The skill sets/requirements, whether real or perceived are different.  It's making a roster that is important.  That's the golden ring.  Then can you...will you do the work to hold onto it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

While I have no clue if those numbers/draft positions are accurate, we do know that there are plenty of great college players who never make a NBA roster.  The skill sets/requirements, whether real or perceived are different.  It's making a roster that is important.  That's the golden ring.  Then can you...will you do the work to hold onto it.

Tell you what.  I ain't no NBA scout.  I would hate to venture how many guys that were college stars that I have completely missed on through the years.  I wonder if the Pacers have a job for me?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Tell you what.  I ain't no NBA scout.  I would hate to venture how many guys that were college stars that I have completely missed on through the years.  I wonder if the Pacers have a job for me?

I always go back to the Arizona National Title team. The backcourt was Mike Bibby, Miles Simon, Michael Dickerson, and Jason Terry was the first guard off the bench. 

Of the four, Miles Simon was a 1st Team All American. The other three had successful NBA careers (though I believe Dickerson retired early because of injuries), while Simon only appeared in 5 total NBA games. 

• Like 4