Purdue pre-game….

Artesian_86

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is a good point on TJD.  When he goes up strong, he follows through and generally finishes. When he goes up looking for contact and simply floats the ball at the basket, he usually misses. This is probably his last crack at little brother at home, so I would hope he goes beast mode. CMW should have the boys fired-up in a way Archie never understood. 

You say little brother like it means something.  Do you honestly think any of the players or coaches think that?

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Tell me you’re not referencing a random AAU game where Duncomb had a better game than Furst lol. 

Furst had a great start to the year but has hit the freshman wall (covid bout didn’t help either). 

Gillis is a solid defender who shoots the 3 at at 53% clip. 

Yeah, I'm referencing the only time they've played against each other.

Gillis is a solid defender who has hit one or fewer threes in over half the games he's played this season. Race should absolutely win that matchup handily.

I mean, you picked IU to win, what matchups do you think IU is exploiting if it's not that one? 

I think I'd rotate Durr and Duncomb in on the big fella and make him earn his from the line. We certainly can't afford to have either Race or Trace in foul trouble. The rest of the positions on the floor,,,,at home,,,,I think we can be a handful for them to guard. More of an evolving Geronimo will be huge for us. I predict Rob will be big for us there. 

I feel good about this one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I'm referencing the only time they've played against each other.

Gillis is a solid defender who has hit one or fewer threes in over half the games he's played this season. Race should absolutely win that matchup handily.

I mean, you picked IU to win, what matchups do you think IU is exploiting if it's not that one? 

I think TJD will get his and I could see you guys being better at the PG position since that’s our biggest weakness. 

My concern for this game is that this is a match-up where it would have been really beneficial if TJD and/or Race had developed perimeter shooting for. 

TJD's big kryptonite is going against larger centers with length. It's bothered him his entire IU career. 

Also, Race has really developed some excellent touch on the block with some solid post moves. 

This would be a perfect game to work through Race on the block against a smaller Gillis, if we could draw Edney and Williams away from the basket with a confidently shooting TJD. 

I think IU can win, but also think this is potentially a bad match-up for us. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think TJD will get his and I could see you guys being better at the PG position since that’s our biggest weakness. 

So you think TJD will get his against what is probably your two best players, but our second best player and a guy who is probably honorable mention all conference as we approach the halfway mark won't be able to solidly win his matchup against two platoon players? Interesting....

Just now, Purdue7 said:

How do we ever beat you ?  All we get are “IU leftovers” ?

Who is your lowest rated recruit? 

The simple answer is you guys usually take darn good advantage of us being down. You can go back a long way in the series and see the trend that.

But you act like I'm shitting on your team and I'm not, I'm pointing to one spot I think we have a pretty clear advantage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Purdue fans, you are welcome to post here. But keep in mind, this is our house. Do not start or engage in some pissing contest.

Come and discuss. Don't come and trash talk.

So far, it is fine. Just a preemptive request.

In my mind, that's been their MO the whole time...it's subtle, but always there...

It's some kind of weird need to be validated by IU fans...

Hence the "little brother" syndrome...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

You say little brother like it means something.  Do you honestly think any of the players or coaches think that?

When you do something of substance, in March, I will not call you little brother. Until then, little brother, I would assume that they do. 

14 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

I think I'd rotate Durr and Duncomb in on the big fella and make him earn his from the line. We certainly can't afford to have either Race or Trace in foul trouble. The rest of the positions on the floor,,,,at home,,,,I think we can be a handful for them to guard. More of an evolving Geronimo will be huge for us. I predict Rob will be big for us there. 

I feel good about this one. 

Foul trouble on TJD or RT is the only way I am "worried" about TH night. They can still beat us with those two on the court, but they WILL beat us if those two have to sit quite a bit. 

just go to 6 fouls per player and do away with this nonsense. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you think TJD will get his against what is probably your two best players, but our second best player and a guy who is probably honorable mention all conference as we approach the halfway mark won't be able to solidly win his matchup against two platoon players? Interesting....

TJD has always done well against us and I think Gillis will be able to hold his own is all. I feel like we let TJD get his and not let someone else go off has worked well in the past. 

• Like 1

This is a tough match up for IU and for the same reasons it has been a tough match up over the past several years. IU cannot match the size and they don't shoot it as well.

While purdue can run three or four guys at TJD (or 15 - 20 fouls) IU will have to defend them with TJD and and a 6'8 Race Thompson. That's basically it. Durr has shown nothing that would suggest he's capable of playing more than five minutes without fouling out or turning the ball over multiple times. Duncomb is a non-factor. That leaves Geronimo at 6'6. You're asking a lot of this group to compete against 7'4 295, 6'10 255, 6'10 230 and some others who are not bad even at 6'7 and 6'6. 

If you look at shooting/scoring the edge is with purdue. They shoot 50% overall and 40% from three. IU is at 48% overall and 34% from three. IU has one guy shooting the three over 40% and they have five.

IU can stand pat and hope their D and home court is enough. The other option is to go small and run them out to erase their size but that requires avoiding stupid fouls and turnovers, and shooting it well while forcing them adjust to play at a faster pace and a smaller lineup. Nothing so far suggests IU's guards are able to make that happen.

Big picture - something has to change with recruiting. IU can continue the stretch of never having more than two legit 'bigs' who are ready to play at any give time meaning those two must be high level players and they have to be surrounded by high level perimeter players. OR they can add some legit size (3 or more who are not projects) that can impact the game.

I want to win, but would truly be happy with a great effort. I think if IU plays it’s best, limits mistakes ( fouls and turnovers) then the power of the Hall can produce a win. As long as we don’t see a repeat of the Coach Knight game, and they play how we know they are capable of playing, there is a chance. The Purdue game with the return of Coach Knight was my Rock Bottom of the AM era. 

4 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

As long as we don’t see a repeat of the Coach Knight game, and they play how we know they are capable of playing, there is a chance. The Purdue game with the return of Coach Knight was my Rock Bottom of the AM era. 

We completely wilted under the pressure of his return in that game last year and there is still huge pressure on this team to beat PU and get that cow loving monkey off our backs. How we handle that pressure will be key. Will we play loose like we have nothing to lose or pucker up again? Purdue has 0 pressure on them in this game. They've owned us for years (I threw up in my mouth typing that). That much pressure plus playing a team that is better than our team (if you can't admit that then you're kidding yourself) is not a good combination. Woodson and Fife will certainly bring a different level of perspective to this game than the previous staff did, but will that be enough?

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Foul trouble on TJD or RT is the only way I am "worried" about TH night. They can still beat us with those two on the court, but they WILL beat us if those two have to sit quite a bit. 

just go to 6 fouls per player and do away with this nonsense. 

The smartest man in the world, Dan Dakich, likes IU in this game.

Just now, ledies22 said:

fully aware. Usually appreciate your input, but coming to an iu board to argue IU vs Purdue week of the game is pretty silly. Did you go to UI board Sunday?

Don’t regularly post on their board. Was only trying to have a civilized discussion here before the game. In past IU/Purdue games, I always stay away from posting during the game and after for a good period of time. 

• Like 2