Purdue pre-game….

Artesian_86

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Has to be. 

He's not capable.  The Nebraska guards were blowing by him every time down the court when our lineups became limited and he had to guard one of their threats.  

The good thing with PS defensively is his anticipation and smarts.  He knows angles.  He knows where and what his guy wants and where they plan to go and do.  Chasing a Stef may be in his best interest because he's not going to be a blow by dribble penetrator and he has the length to disrupt his shot.  JMO

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He's not capable.  The Nebraska guards were blowing by him every time down the court when our lineups became limited and he had to guard one of their threats.  

The good thing with PS defensively is his anticipation and smarts.  He knows angles.  He knows where and what his guy wants and where they plan to go and do.  Chasing a Stef may be in his best interest because he's not going to be a blow by dribble penetrator and he has the length to disrupt his shot.  JMO

I think he's for sure capable, and Kopp has to guard Sasha to begin with, I mean maybe you can stick Miller on Thompson? I mentioned you can cross match them with Parker on Thompson to start, flirting with fire with XJ guarding Ivey though. It might be a risk we need to take though. We don't really have any options in the starting lineup, other than that. 

Edited by btownqb

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As far as Thompson goes, are you talking about a string of recent games? I show him at 41% for the year...

As far as Stefanovic goes, who do we put on him? Kopp?

Has to be Kopp. Thompson is shooting 11% from 3 in conference games, he is 2-18. Edey and Williams combine for over 6 offensive rebounds a game. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's for sure capable, and Kopp has to guard Sasha to begin with, I mean maybe you can stick Miller on Thompson? I mentioned you can cross match them with Parker on Thompson to start, flirting with fire with XJ guarding Ivey though. It might be a risk need to take though. 

Now I'm thinking all kinds of stuff...

Gillis isn't much of a put it on the floor guy, so do we have to have Race guard him? Maybe Kopp would be a better fit? 

Any reason Race couldn't guard Ivey? I mean I know Ivey is very good on the dribble drive, but Race's height might present a problem...Race is at least as good as Stewart and Kopp on the close out, and better than either one guarding the dribble drive...

Crazy, but just a thought...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Now I'm thinking all kinds of stuff...

Gillis isn't much of a put it on the floor guy, so do we have to have Race guard him? Maybe Kopp would be a better fit? 

Any reason Race couldn't guard Ivey? I mean I know Ivey is very good on the dribble drive, but Race's height might present a problem...Race is at least as good as Stewart and Kopp on the close out, and better than either one guarding the dribble drive...

Crazy, but just a thought...

I disagree with basically this entire post, but that's ok. Doesn't mean I'm right. 

I don't think there is anyway Race can guard Ivey, and I think you're way over thinking defensive one on one match ups.  I will say, and we have seen this since Archie Miller took over. Every.... single.....time we play Purdue, we are exposed because we don't have a big that can stretch the floor. Every time. 

You put Watford on this team, instead of Race, holy heck that would have opened up SO many options for us. I love Race, he just isn't a perfect tandem with Trayce, offensively. 

@IUFLA if Thompson is struggling from 3, and Kopp can manage Gillis. You could put Race on Isaiah Thompson like we used to do with Watford on Appling. 

Race can really help down low at that point, and show on screens, use his length to disrupt Isaiah's shot if does get a clean one. Problem Race not guarding Edey, Williams.... you are really leaving TJD exposed to foul trouble and if Race has to close out, often, he can't defense rebound, as well. 

But again, I think we are way over thinking this. It's a complete unit concept and that end will go a lot better if we can execute on the offensive end. "offense helps your defense"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@IUFLA if Thompson is struggling from 3, and Kopp can manage Gillis. You could put Race on Isaiah Thompson like we used to do with Watford on Appling. 

Race can really help down low at that point, and show on screens, use his length to disrupt Isaiah's shot if does get a clean one. Problem Race not guarding Edey, Williams.... you are really leaving TJD exposed to foul trouble and if Race has to close out, often, he can't defense rebound, as well. 

But again, I think we are way over thinking this. It's a complete unit concept and that end will go a lot better if we can execute on the offensive end. "offense helps your defense"

Overthinking it to the max for me, but that's because I want them to win so damn bad...

Channeling RMK on losing to Purdue ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am interested to see if Phinisee comes in early to cover Ivey.  

I am concerned about Trayce inside against Edey.  Trayce is a great player, but he can get tripped up by length guarding him. This might be an interesting time to trot out Durr for more minutes and let him absorb Edey while Trayce works over Gillis.  We can't keep banging our head against the wall having Trayce trying to score on Edey for heavy minutes, and we need some other guys to score.  Let him go to work on Gillis. 

We have not matched their intensity overall for a few years now.  That is ridiculous and hopefully gets solved.

X needs to maintain his faculties. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am interested to see if Phinisee comes in early to cover Ivey.  

I am concerned about Trayce inside against Edey.  Trayce is a great player, but he can get tripped up by length guarding him. This might be an interesting time to trot out Durr for more minutes and let him absorb Edey while Trayce works over Gillis.  We can't keep banging our head against the wall having Trayce trying to score on Edey for heavy minutes, and we need some other guys to score.  Let him go to work on Gillis. 

We have not matched their intensity overall for a few years now.  That is ridiculous and hopefully gets solved.

X needs to maintain his faculties. 

I thing Trace will be fine just because of his great footwork and quickness. A couple early fouls on PU post would not hurt at all. This game IMO comes down to our guards. I don't think it's as much about what their guards do it's much more about what our guards do or don't do that will determine the outcome.i fear that we can't blow them out and I am worried about us closing out a game. X and Rob are key to limit turnovers and make the PU guards have to play D. Stewart and Kopp combine for 7 plus 3 pointers would be great. I just ask that we play hard inspired Indiana basketball for 40 minutes and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I was watching that when you posted it...

I love Coach Woodson, but his pre game pressers are a lot of the same ol, same ol...

"Well, again"

"Next game up"

"It's not what they do, it's what we do"

"We're gonna have to go for 40 minutes."

I would imagine behind the scenes that Purdue isn't "just another game."

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he's for sure capable, and Kopp has to guard Sasha to begin with, I mean maybe you can stick Miller on Thompson? I mentioned you can cross match them with Parker on Thompson to start, flirting with fire with XJ guarding Ivey though. It might be a risk we need to take though. We don't really have any options in the starting lineup, other than that. 

I'm thinking this game may wind up being a chess match.  Our starters don't match up well with them but X on Ivey may actually be the X factor.  Who gets under who's skin first?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

X is always the "X" factor ;) 

He truly is.  He has to keep the edge but keep his head.  The more I think about it, he's the only one with the edge and athleticism to go up against Ivey consistently.  Will have to sprinkle in others but I think he's our best bet. 

If we don't bring greater defensive intensity than them I'm going to be royally pissed.   

3 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Sounds like we have to pick our poison with Ivey. Limit his 3's or his drives?

Drives. Take out the game he went 6/6 from three, which is a clear anomaly with him, and he's "just" a good three point shooter, not elite/really good. 

I'm not saying you dare him to shoot, but if you don't let him get anything easy inside that's a huge plus. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

They were 3-10 outside of Sasha. Gillis shot 3 shots in 43 mins of play and Thompson was 1-4 from 3, which is double % wise that he has been shooting from 3. 

Right. Gillis isn't going to be able to make 50% of his shots at anything near the same volume Sasha can do it. Honestly, if Gillis goes 4/8 from three I am beyond fine with that, to me it says we took away the right things from them. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Right. Gillis isn't going to be able to make 50% of his shots at anything near the same volume Sasha can do it. Honestly, if Gillis goes 4/8 from three I am beyond fine with that, to me it says we took away the right things from them. 

Right. Basically, Purdue is probably beating anyone if they get 4 3s out of Gillis. Gillis is 6'6 btw everyone and plays Purdue's 4 spot. 

• Like 1

If X on Ivey, X needs to start talking "Yo Momma is" crap from the tip. Be the aggressor, make it a game like Bird or Isiah did back in the NBA. 

I was a pretty decent baseball catcher in the 10-14 yr old league. I talk so much smack to the batters that I had the Home plate Ump call time out several times, so they could step back and laugh. He needs to be more like .... well ME.. hahaha

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. Basically, Purdue is probably beating anyone if they get 4 3s out of Gillis. Gillis is 6'6 btw everyone and plays Purdue's 4 spot. 

Stood next to him….might be 6’5”

You guys have posted Race a lot more this year…..might be a matchup to exploit 

• Like 3