Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Go Bruce Pearl....

I've always like Auburn football, equal or second to IU football but with Pearl, I've adopted them as my second team in basketball and have watched as many games of theirs as IUs last couple of years.  Hard to be an IU fan exclusively and know come March, either they're not dancing or if they do make it, they're not doing anything when they get there. 

Tonight, I was just indifferent when they lost.  Been indifferent for past couple of years now.  Losing is just the norm with this program and being that I was born in 1985, honestly, this program hasn't done much that I can remember besides a few Crean sweet sixteens, couple of Big Ten titles and getting hot, riding the wave to the title game in 2002.  That's really it.  To be an IU fan, man, the experience has been you better be extremely patient and don't have the sights set to high or your going to be disappointed.  I'm not ditching IU and never will, not a quitter but..... frustrating, nevertheless.

Edited by ThePaulieWalnuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Officer Obie said:

Losing to Rutgers at Assembly Hall should never happen. No Excuses. No Excuses. No Excuses. No Excuses. No Excuses.

I'll put a different spin on your point: We should never have inferior talent to Rutgers.

Does anyone think our starting 5 is better than ANY of the numerous teams we will finish behind in the B10 standings?

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

We are who we are.  This loss isn't out of the norm.  It's a typical loss - you can't deny it.

It hurts to look at it this way, but the better team went on the road and won in a tough environment.  Every coach in the league knows how to beat IU, and you could see the confidence oozing off Pickiell's face in the second half.  Keep it close, and you will beat IU.

Need to hit the portal hard.  There's enough data to know you aren't winning with this roster.  

About as well as you could say it.  Spot on

• Thanks 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

They out hustled us and played smarter than us the entire second half.  

I saw a lot of hustle from our guys, too.

I think we had one turnover in the second half after the first media timeout.... 

We missed a lot, a lot, a lot of wide open looks. If we hit those at any sort of reasonable clip we win by double digits. 

Yes, we can point out plenty of other things that we could have done better and while some of it may be true, basketball comes down to making shots a lot of the time and we didn't do it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not going to blame the guy that scored 19.  How many wide open looks did he get for guys by sucking in the defense or setting screens where our guards could not throw it in the ocean.  Some of these guys have been in the program for years knowing that we need consistent 3 point shooting and still can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The guards lost the game, not Davis.

I highlighted the best line of the night from this post. Coach got the players in position for open shots, the players HAVE TO make shots, period. We had too many missed lay ups, bunnies and careless turnovers in crucial times of the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

Just stupid basketball down the stretch … yet again. I have no idea how you let Harper get that shot off in rhythm like that, and that was after we were completely gifted an opportunity to get back in the game. 

It has become a given. Go back for at least four seasons. The other team gets a one on one against Race out top in the closing seconds and they bury a shot. It's like clockwork. Race is good at some things but staying in front of his guy out top in not a strength. In all fairness, why is he in that position guarding a quicker guy out top so often?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Woody 💯absolutely had to make the dance this season to have a chance of surviving.  Miss out and were looking for a new coach next season.   Guaranteed 

Next year won’t be any better for him I’m afraid.  Love Woody and hope he gets his chance for more than 1 year.  I think he will get it his full chance.

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Sometimes you are open for a reason. Woodson against that zone tonight was pathetic.  The only time we got the ball at the high post we scored.  Not sure we scored much more against it.  Rutgers should’ve never got out of it honestly. 

So you are saying we got outcoached because the Rutgers gameplay was to leave Kopp and Stewart wide open? 

Very interesting theory...

• Thanks 1

When Harper hit the miracle 3 at the end of the shot clock, the miracle 3 before the half, and we came out and turned it over and fouled 26 seconds into the second half, I have to admit, I had a strong feeling that a loss was on the way. 
I have to handle it like a grown up and move on. But making the tournament shouldn’t be too much of an ask. Not for IU. 

• Like 2