Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're absolutely mediocre. 

I've said this before, but you don't bring Woodson, Matta, Fife, etc., in for a slow build. 

I give them a pass for now because they had to use bandaids on this roster, but you bring in a 63 year old with 40 years of experience, as well as Matta and Fife, to go get ballers immediately. 

Whether it's the portal or some kids like Bates that get out of their LOI's because coaches get fired, but Woodson needs to add some legit ballers this offseason. 

You've posted this before and it continues to be the absolute TRUTH.  I'll add that he/we cannot afford the same lackluster results as what we got from XJ, MK, MD, and TB.*

(* meaning only 1 in 4 being consistent contributors).

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Again, if a 42.6% 3pt shooter makes the wide open shots he's supposed to, we win easy. 

Geronimo on the wing is not something a coach is going to do in that situation. Being out of position against a zone, I could argue he'd have more turnovers then offensive rebounds. 

The bet was that an excellent 3pt shooter wouldn't miss 7 wide open 3's and we got unlucky and lost the bet. 

It's a much safer bet then putting a young player at a position he doesn't play in a huge game. 

We just didn't make wide open shots. 

But, he wasn't going to make them tonight.  That was obvious from the start.  He wasn't rimming them out.  He was clanking them with some authority.  

Geronimo is at the end of his sophomore season.  He's not 'young'.  He may be less experienced, but there are a lot of sophomores in the Big Ten and around the country who are helping their teams win big ball games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Woody 💯absolutely had to make the dance this season to have a chance of surviving.  Miss out and were looking for a new coach next season.   Guaranteed 

Guaranteed?!?!  Put your money where your mouth is.  I will bet $1000 that even if we miss the tournament, Mike Woodson will coach IU next year.  Let's both send the money to a MOD of your choice, and the winner will get the cash at the first game next year.  How about it?  Let's test that guarantee.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're absolutely mediocre. 

I've said this before, but you don't bring Woodson, Matta, Fife, etc., in for a slow build. 

I give them a pass for now because they had to use bandaids on this roster, but you bring in a 63 year old with 40 years of experience, as well as Matta and Fife, to go get ballers immediately. 

Whether it's the portal or some kids like Bates that get out of their LOI's because coaches get fired, but Woodson needs to add some legit ballers this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree.  This program is in no position to set around waiting for guys to contribute as upperclassman.  Need guys that can compete at the Big Ten level right now.  Unfortunately it may mean guys we like and want to see develop, will need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

Guaranteed?!?!  Put your money where your mouth is.  I will bet $1000 that even if we miss the tournament, Mike Woodson will coach IU next year.  Let's both send the money to a MOD of your choice, and the winner will get the cash at the first game next year.  How about it?  Let's test that guarantee.

I have the lowest holders fee just sayin’

• Haha 5

Just now, 5fouls said:

But, he wasn't going to make them tonight.  That was obvious from the start.  He wasn't rimming them out.  He was clanking them with some authority.  

Geronimo is at the end of his sophomore season.  He's not 'young'.  He may be less experienced, but there are a lot of sophomores in the Big Ten and around the country who are helping their teams win big ball games.  

The percentages say Stewart was going to start making them. Coaches don't typically look at that and say, "bench him, he's off". They trust their guys and trust the numbers. The numbers and history say Stewart isn't going 2-for-9 on wide open 3's. 

You're not putting an inexperienced player at a position he's never played in that situation. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

There’s a disconnect between the university and fan base. Sadly, IU basketball will never be what it once was, or even close to it…I don’t think the University will allow it

Like I posted last night when UNC hired Dean Smith the president said the wanted to de emphasis the basketball program. Frank McGuire got them on probation and the president thought it was time for basketball to not be as important. Well that didn't work since Dean Smith ended up as one of the all time great coaches.

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

I wouldn't send it to @bluegrassIU.  He blows through a lot of money supporting an unhealthy hoof fetish.  It's like a foot fetish, but involves cows.  

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not saying that, and I will listen to legitimate arguments for the last 3.  The first one, however, is indefensible in my opinion.  Each and every game stands on its own.  Based on what was happening on the floor, Geronimo was going to help the team be successful tonight,  The other two (Race and Stewart) were not.  And, I'll even throw Durr into that since he got 5 minutes of time in the 2nd half.that could have went to Geronimo as well.  

• Ride Keith Smart in the '87 championship game when he is hot
  • Ride Christian Watford against UK when he is on fire

When a player is making a difference, let them play!

Durr was too slow for that game. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like I posted last night when UNC hired Dean Smith the president said the wanted to de emphasis the basketball program. Frank McGuire got them on probation and the president thought it was time for basketball to not be as important. Well that didn't work since Dean Smith ended up as one of the all time great coaches.

If only we could have gone to the 4 corners tonight.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Agree.  This program is in no position to set around waiting for guys to contribute as upperclassman.  Need guys that can compete at the Big Ten level right now.  Unfortunately it may mean guys we like and want to see develop, will need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

It's not going to be easy for MW - telling guys like Leal, Lander, etc. that they need to move on, but it's either that or continue to flounder with a talent disadvantage.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The percentages say Stewart was going to start making them. Coaches don't typically look at that and say, "bench him, he's off". They trust their guys and trust the numbers. The numbers and history say Stewart isn't going 2-for-9 on wide open 3's. 

You're not putting an inexperienced player at a position he's never played in that situation. 

And Parker did hit the tying 3 and should have put the game on OT

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Gotta think JHS may start? Maybe both play? 

I would say both start, that's my thought. XJ as the point and JHS as a combo guard without the burden of everything on his shoulders. 

JHS would have to a be a complete, unquestionable stud for me to be comfortable making him the starting point guard on a team with potentially 5 new starters. 

Like, he'd have to be one and done lottery pick good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It's not going to be easy for MW - telling guys like Leal, Lander, etc. that they need to move on, but it's either that or continue to flounder with a talent disadvantage.

There is nothing wrong with having a guy like Leal as your 12 or 13th player on your roster.  You are not going to play 13 guys so the end of the roster won't be 4 or 5 star players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Don’t think Leal leaves. He’s a Bloomingnton native. Kid could stay as a preferred walk-on i suppose. Agree about Lander, he needs to go. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out with him and I think if he could do it all again, he wouldn’t re-classify. 

We need a major upgrade at the wings. Stewart and Kopp have both been a disappointment this year…and while I love TJD, and really hope he stays, he shouldn’t be the focal point in our offense next year— bball is now dominated by perimeter play. I Expect major minutes from JHS next year. We also need high major transfers this summer…we need a talent upgrade, and one quickly.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah, I don’t think Leal deserves to be in that conversation. Smart player that will knock down shots with enough opportunity. Lander, you’re absolutely correct IMO… along with MK and PS for sure. But if we’re really going to upgrade through the portal a couple more guys will have to go. Question is, will there really be very many game changers available through the portal? Enough where we’re able to get a couple of them. Outside of XJ, I can’t say any of the other portal guys have been a success, or what we need to really take the next step. 

Maybe this loss will be a referendum on the job CMW has done this year. 
I was happy with the job he did getting players to stay

We can’t complain about recruiting, even though in the B1G, you HAVE to recruit some size. Id be even happier if we can get a big guy like every other good team seems to have.

One thing that I already mentioned was the platooning, or mass substitutions, or giving players too much rest. 

Another thing, there really did not seem to be much of a sign or signal that there is any Matta influence on our play. Or, it also seems like the staff have given CMW full autonomy, which, I guess is how it should be. 
I think it boils down to all the close games that we had a lead in, and ended up losing. By my reckoning, including tonight, we could easily have something like a 23-6 record. Very easily IMHO. So, there are going to be glass half full guys who will say the only reason we were in these games was because CMW maxed out the talent and took the team as far as it can go. 
Glass half empty guys will be like with 3 5 stars, a shooter like Stewart ( except tonight) and TJD, ( who did not really show too much improvement this year) maybe some things were mismanaged, especially in the second half. 
I tend to be glass half empty on this one, and if this season ends how the overwhelming odds look like it’s going to, then I have to give “C+” as my grade. 
That being said, maybe intentionally blowing the NW game, which will be the game that knocks us out of the dance, was a brilliant RMK-like move to “set the cutlure.” OR, it was stupid and stubborn. Without knowing what those kids did, time will tell. 
GO IU

• Like 2