Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

5 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

I’m actually taking it quite well. I mean, it’s been in front of me for 5 years. The other guys hit pressure shots, and IU doesn’t. Every. Single. Time. 

I remember one I think 🤔 

no I don’t 🍺 🍸🥃🍷

Edited by Purdue7

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would say both start, that's my thought. XJ as the point and JHS as a combo guard without the burden of everything on his shoulders. 

JHS would have to a be a complete, unquestionable stud for me to be comfortable making him the starting point guard on a team with potentially 5 new starters. 

Like, he'd have to be one and done lottery pick good. 

Having watched him play 5 or 6 times, I'm not sure his outside shot is good enough at this point to be a 2. He's got a good mid range game and dribble drive as well, but if he going to get big minutes, I'd say a Chucky Hepburn of Wisconsin type role would suit him best...at least starting out...

Mediocre coach, mediocre talent, inept administration equals bottom feeder program.

With a couple exceptions the last 20 years we have been a joke. We are not feared, respected and other teams look at us as a guaranteed win. 

Pathetic, in my opinion. No more excuses, we suck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know no one agrees with me but things like this hurts recruiting and the quality of coaching candidates we get when there are openings at IU.

No one agrees with you because it’s ridiculous. You actually think that PS is getting personal attacks that are worse than Tubby Smith did at Kentucky? And that was before social media, and that was for not winning a natty every year. 

Every single fan base has people that do and say moronic things to players. I have no idea why you continue to think the IU fan base is special in this aspect, or that it magically affects recruiting more than other programs. 

Is it pathetic that people do these things? Absolutely. Is it unique to this fan base? Absolutely and unfortunately not. 

• Like 8

All you need to know about our administration is we self-reported minor violations and it was treated  like the ultimate sin, while we’ve seen other programs, very successful ones at that, do far worse since. Complete over reaction. It has set back our program years. The trajectory of our program forever changed. We could’ve easily had a couple Final Fours or a 6th banner. We chose not to go that route and now we continue to see a program like Houston make Final Fours while we are begging just to make the tournament because we haven’t been invited for the better part of a decade. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Kopp playing 34 minutes in a must win game, tells me pretty much everything I need to know about Woody.

Geronimo had 6 and 2 in 9 minutes...  

I defended Archie until the end, even though I could see the issue's.  I won't do the same thing again... not that my opinion means anything!

For better or for worse…let’s hope for the the better. Woodson isn’t going anywhere. Woodson will leave when he wants to leave. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Kopp playing 34 minutes in a must win game, tells me pretty much everything I need to know about Woody.

I defended Archie until the end, even though I could see the issue's.  I won't do the same thing again... not that my opinion means anything!

One thing is that Jordan doesn't play the same position is Kopp.  So Jordan's minutes is influenced by how much Kopp plays.

After a night of reflection, I keep going back to this.

• Ron Harper - 38 minutes
  • Geo Baker - 36 minutes
  • Omoruyi - 36 minutes
  • TJD - 32 minutes
  • XJ - 33 minutes
  • Race - 31 minutes

They got 14 more minutes of court time out of their 3 most critical players than we did.   Is 14 minutes of your best players worth 3 points?  I say so.

XJ and TJD did NOT need to be sitting on the bench for that critical stretch in the 2nd half.  Someone convince me otherwise. 

• Like 5

I imagine I am not alone, but sadly, I want this season to be over.  This off-season will tell us whether or not we will have a return to the top of the conference anytime this decade, if ever.  Coach Woodson has had a full cycle of a season, learned what he is up against, has seen how recruiting works, etc.  This is the biggest off-season, well, since last year.......but bigger from the standpoint of Woodson seriously needing to put his stamp on this program.  

For a long time for me IU basketball has had a frustrated:excited ratio of about 5:1, with most of the excited feeling coming during the offseason.  So, maybe we are heading into the best months of the year to be an IU basketball fan.  IU should do a "Hoosier Hysteria" in mid April. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• Geo Baker - 36 minutes
  • Omoruyi - 36 minutes
  • TJD - 32 minutes
  • XJ - 33 minutes
  • Race - 31 minutes

They got 14 more minutes of court time out of their 3 most critical players than we did.   Is 14 minutes of your best players worth 3 points?  I say so.

XJ and TJD did NOT need to be sitting on the bench for that critical stretch in the 2nd half.  Someone convince me otherwise. 

This is spot on. I was at the game last night and said something similar to my father in law. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• Geo Baker - 36 minutes
  • Omoruyi - 36 minutes
  • TJD - 32 minutes
  • XJ - 33 minutes
  • Race - 31 minutes

Blame Woody with his screwed up substitutions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• Geo Baker - 36 minutes
  • Omoruyi - 36 minutes
  • TJD - 32 minutes
  • XJ - 33 minutes
  • Race - 31 minutes

Totally agree with you on this.  If today's players are so much better and better conditioned, why can't they play more minutes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I imagine I am not alone, but sadly, I want this season to be over.  This off-season will tell us whether or not we will have a return to the top of the conference anytime this decade, if ever.  Coach Woodson has had a full cycle of a season, learned what he is up against, has seen how recruiting works, etc.  This is the biggest off-season, well, since last year.......but bigger from the standpoint of Woodson seriously needing to put his stamp on this program.  

For a long time for me IU basketball has had a frustrated:excited ratio of about 5:1, with most of the excited feeling coming during the offseason.  So, maybe we are heading into the best months of the year to be an IU basketball fan.  IU should do a "Hoosier Hysteria" in mid April. 

Never ready for the season to end.  For me bad IU basketball is better than no IU basketball.

31 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

And Scott, this would be my case in point of why the last 20 years absolutely does matter.  There are only 2 ways the history of the last several hires will stop mattering: 1. The losing and mediocrity goes on for so long that the fan base stops caring or 2. A coach is finally hired that is able to consistently put a winning product on the floor.

Absent that, each successive coach is going to get less and less leeway before people start saying, "Here we go again..." 

We have a top assistant from one of the winningest programs in the Big Ten over the past 20 years and another top coaching mind from the league as an adviser.  Who is the older gentleman that always has a mask on that is sitting next to Woodson every game?  Rumblings that Woody has his own guys and doesn't listen to the college people on his staff would explain the inexplicable substitution patterns all year.  That is a problem.  We tried to run an offense that fit maybe 3 or 4 guys on the team.  That is a problem.  All of the promises made about guys improving certain parts of their game appeared to be nothing but talk.  That is a problem.  All the talk about respecting Indiana and we had multiple one game suspensions and outside of that guys still started and played big minutes.  A problem.  We faltered down the stretch of the majority of our Big Ten games or games against "real" competition.  A problem.

We played really good defense for most of the year.  That is the one thing I could point to that was consistently pretty good.  Woodson bas to do better next year.  I believe there are at least 7 coaches in the Big Ten who would have had this team a tournament team.  It appears Woodson is not and that is troubling.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

There is no correlation between Millers mins and JGs mins. They dont play the same position. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• Geo Baker - 36 minutes
  • Omoruyi - 36 minutes
  • TJD - 32 minutes
  • XJ - 33 minutes
  • Race - 31 minutes

Substitutions had absolutely zero bearing on that game. Race Thompson not understanding how to play defense with his hands up hurt though!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Substitutions had absolutely zero bearing on that game. Race Thompson not understanding how to play defense with his hands up hurt though!

Disagree.  You are harping on basically one play while ignoring 14 minutes of potential time that was lost between the 3 main guys last night.

And if you want to blame anyone, blame whoever thought it would be a good idea to have Race in that situation to begin with.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Which brings a point I made last night.  Why wasn't Rob in on that last defensive play?  He would have done a much better job guarding Harper.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Which brings a point I made last night.  Why wasn't Rob in on that last defensive play?  He would have done a much better job guarding Harper.  

What? We had an off possession before that? 

5? He would have just been put on the block like he was all game and taken to school like he was all game.  

RP was awful last night.  

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Disagree.  You are harping on basically one play while ignoring 14 minutes of potential time that was lost between the 3 main guys last night.

And if you want to blame anyone, blame whoever thought it would be a good idea to have Race in that situation to begin with.

Well.. he guarded him really well in the half court all game. I don't understand why the last possession should have been any different. 

We got lost for 12 points on miscommunications/poor awareness of rotations.. 4 3s because we couldn't do the little things. RT twice, PS once, RP once. But no, saw no issue with the subbing. Holy cow can we miss wide open looks though.  

Those 4 plays defensively mattered light years more than any subbing did.  

• Like 1