Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

Look.  I believe in coach Woodson.  I think he will get things going in due time.  That does not mean he cant be criticized. 

He played the type of game the opponent wanted last night. 

He kept Geronimo on the bench even though he was impacting the game when on the floor.

He played our 3 best players a total of 14 minutes less than Rutgers played theirs.

We can sit there and shrug our shoulders and blame it on missing shots.  But, at some point, before you have to shoot the one at the end, you have to realize your shooters are not having good games and TRY something different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t  know what to tell you. Outside of a few stagnant possessions, which Rutgers had on their end too, we got great looks. 

We got the ball to the high post and the low block. We forced them to collapse on TJD and then kicked out to great, to decent shooters for wide open looks and we just didn't make them. 

What's the solution? Politely ask them to not play zone? 

They played zone. Our zone offense got really good looks for the most part. We misses those good looks. End of story. 

And this right here is why we need an overhaul of shooters that Woodson must bring in. If not more and more teams will run zone on Iu. The only problem will be that Iu might not have any post threats to trust even to make the passes our bigs made last night. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

Look.  I believe in coach Woodson.  I think he will get things going in due time.  That does not mean he cant be criticized. 

He played the type of game the opponent wanted last night. 

He kept Geronimo on the bench even though he was impacting the game when on the floor.

He played our 3 best players a total of 14 minutes less than Rutgers played theirs.

We can sit there and shrug our shoulders and blame it on missing shots.  But, at some point, before you have to shoot the one at the end, you have to realize your shooters are not having good games and TRY something different.

Who was JG coming in for? You just said you wanted TJD and RT on the floor more!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Who was JG coming in for? You just said you wanted TJD and RT on the floor more!! 

Right! TJD, Race and Geronimo play the same two positions. 

No coach in the world is going to put Geronimo, a kid who is already still trying to develop consistency and is inexperienced, in at a position he's never played before. 

Just now, BGleas said:

No coach in the world is going to put Geronimo, a kid who is already still trying to develop consistency and is inexperienced, in at a position he's never played before. 

Yeah he can't play the 3, currently. He really struggles dribbling and passing... hell even catching. XJ gift wrapped him a dunk last night and he couldn't make a good enough play on the ball for a dunk. 

Hummel put that TO on XJ which I very much disagreed with. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree with you. I don't know how more plainly I can say it. I didn't put any words in Scott's mouth. He said we subbed in mass, which... we don't. We don't sub 4 dudes in at once, literally what he said. 

and "everybody" no... I only think the ones with subbing complaints are crazy. I just don't understand why the conversation isn't more about those specific players and their lack of execution, rather then worry about subbing patterns on a team that's missing an important piece and isn't anywhere perfect to begin with. 

Yes, that is nuts to me. I'm sorry, it is. 

If two players who are primarily playing for one reason,  are BOTH consistently not executing, then why are both in the game? I'm not talking about the last possession when we had to have a 3.  I'm talking about the 19 minutes of the 2nd half up until that point.  

Just now, IU Scott said:

I have watched a lot of games and the last month I have seen most teams shortening their rotation. I don't see many teams playing playing more than 8 guys and some only playing 7 like Duke

We have, in fact, shortened our rotation, as well. Every starter played 30+ mins. 

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

If two players who are primarily playing for one reason,  are BOTH consistently not executing, then why are both in the game? I'm not talking about the last possession when we had to have a 3.  I'm talking about the 19 minutes of the 2nd half up until that point.  

Kopp and Stewart? 

Well that is a simple answer. Bates sucked defensively when he was in in the first half, and RP didn't have anyone to guard/wasn't effective offensively either. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched a lot of games and the last month I have seen most teams shortening their rotation. I don't see many teams playing playing more than 8 guys and some only playing 7 like Duke

I’m not saying shorting the bench isn’t a bad idea this year but could you imagine if we shortened the bench next year… My goodness Durr gets gassed after running up and down the court 6 times…. Imagine him playing 28 minutes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Who is supposed to be a zone busting 3pt shooter then? Bates isn't a good 3pt shooter. Phinisee isn't a good 3pt shooter and hadn't hit any he took previously in the game. TG wasn't available and isn't a 3pt shooter. 

Stewart, Kopp and XJ are our best 3pt shooters and we got them wide open looks. They didn't execute (Stewart and Kopp). It's really that simple. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why hasn't he played there before?  He's 6'6".  We couldn't find him minutes at the 3  in the pre-conference slate to get him comfortable there?

If both XJ and Rob are on the floor, do you need a 3rd ball handler?  Stewart doesn't handle the ball on the perimeter.  He shoots or passes if he touches it.  Kopp rarely drives and when he does, it's even more rare he succeeds.  Have Race play the Kopp role and slide Geronimo into Race's slot in the high post.

Think outside the box and try something different if what you're doing is not working.  Last night, there is no way Geronimo is as ineffective at the 3 than Stewart and Kopp were.  And, he gives us solid defense and rebounding as a bonus.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

I know we have one more regular season game and the BTT to go, but walking back to the car last night I had the same feeling I do every year after the last game of the year, a mix of disappointment and curiosity about the next year. 

That was certainly disappointing last night. No matter how many times you get punched in the groin, you never become numb to it. It still hurts every time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Why hasn't he played there before?  He's 6'6".  We couldn't find him minutes at th he 3  in the pre-conference slate to get him comfortable there?

If both XJ and Rob are on the floor, do you need a 3rd ball handler?  Stewart doesn't handle the ball on the perimeter.  He shoots or passes if he touches it.  Kopp rarely drives and when he does, it's even more rare he succeeds.  Have Race play the Kopp role and slide Geronimo into Race's slot in th he high post.

Think outside the box and try something different if what you're doing is not working.  Last night, there is no way Geronimo is as ineffective at the 3 than Stewart and Kopp were.  And, he gives us solid defense and rebounding as a bonus.

Do you remember how bad JG was against SU's zone? You can't believe our best route to success is try something you've never worked on/make a kid play a position that he isn't comfortable with? Right? 

Why hasn't he played there before? Because he doesn't have the skills to, as of now. 

I am willing to bet growing up, JG has not one single time played on the perimeter vs. a zone. And neither has Thompson! This is not a sustainable route to success. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Who is supposed to be a zone busting 3pt shooter?

We dont have one, but we didnt have that anyway last night.

Find a different way to beat the zone.  It couldn't have hurt.  We lost not trying it. How does doing something different hurt worse th than that.   Might as well have tried it.  The committee is going to look at the Final score, not the fact that we executed to get open shots but we were just unlucky that our two 'shooters' didnt shoot well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We dont have one, but we didnt have that anyway last night.

Find a different way to beat the zone.  It couldn't have hurt.  We lost not trying it. How does doing something different hurt worse th than that.   Might as well have tried it.  The committee is going to look at the Final score, not the fact that we executed to get open shots but we were just unlucky that our two 'shooters' didnt shoot well.

It hurts because we were right in the game. It was a close, back and forth game and we had our best 3pt shooters in the game against a team that was sagging in the paint. 

The strategy was 100% correct. We just didn't execute. XJ and Stewart basically both shoot over 40% from 3 and Kopp is at about 35%. Nobody else on the roster is really even close. 

We ran several plays to get Thompson good looks in the paint. We went to TJD on the block. We got the ball to the high post and we made the right reads most of the time which results in wide open shots from relatively solid shooters. 

We didn't execute.

• Like 2