Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

Listening to Assembly Call and I guess some of our so called fans went to far with the criticism of the players.  They talked about Twitter and how a few fans ruin things for the whole fan base.  I guess they made things personal toward Stewart pretty bad.  I think all of us need to realize that these players are.human just like us and they are not perfect. I know all fan bases has these lunatics but to me this is not what IU fan base should be like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to Assembly Call and I guess some of our so called fans went to far with the criticism of the players.  They talked about Twitter and how a few fans ruin things for the whole fan base.  I guess they made things personal toward Stewart pretty bad.  I think all of us need to realize that these players are.human just like us and they are not perfect. I know all fan bases has these lunatics but to me this is not what IU fan base should be like.

Every fan base has idiots, and the IU fan base is one of the worst.  I'll stand by my position that this loss is more on the coaches than the players (whereas Northwestern is on the guys who were suspended).  But, tonight, it wasn't like Parker did not give effort.  He did.  But, when Parker is not shooting well, he's not one of our 5 best options.  The coaches should have realized that early in the game and tried someone else tonight.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I guess UW shouldn't be in the tournament because they lost at home to Rutgers. LOL!

Well, there are a few obvious differences, including UW sweeping IU and likely winning the Big Ten.  Other than that, I'd agree with you. 🙄 

Rutgers is not good enough to stand between IU and a ticket to the dance...on senior night...playing at home with a friendly crowd.  This is an embarrassing loss.  I don't know what else you can say when your season is on the line and you fail to beat a bubble team at home.  I simply don't see any way to put lipstick on that pig.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Every fan base has idiots, and the IU fan base is one of the worst.  I'll stand by my position that this loss is more on the coaches than the players (whereas Northwestern is on the guys who were suspended).  But, tonight, it wasn't like Parker did not give effort.  He did.  But, when Parker is not shooting well, he's not one of our 5 best options.  The coaches should have realized that early in the game and tried someone else tonight.  

I know no one agrees with me but things like this hurts recruiting and the quality of coaching candidates we get when there are openings at IU.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, there are a few obvious differences, including UW sweeping IU and likely winning the Big Ten.  Other than that, I'd agree with you. 🙄 

Rutgers is not good enough to stand between IU and a ticket to the dance...on senior night...playing at home with a friendly crowd.  This is an embarrassing loss.  I don't know what else you can say when your season is on the line and you fail to beat a bubble team at home.  I simply don't see any way to put lipstick on that pig.

This post does not align with your avatar.  :coffee:

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I've never agreed with making it personal for on-court failure.  There is plenty of blame to go around with what I saw tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know no one agrees with me but things like this hurts recruiting and the quality of coaching candidates we get when there are openings at IU.

So why doesn't it hurt Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Texas, Florida, MSU, or basically any other good program?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I'm with you 100% that it should not get personal.  But, Parker is going to hear those same things in the same situation if he's playing at UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke, UL, etc.  He accepts some of that by coming to a major program.  

At the same time, this loss is not on him.  I don't care if he went 0-10.  After it was obvious his shot was not on tonight, someone else should have been in the game.  He doesn't really help with defense, ball-handling, or rebounding.  When he's not shooting well, half of his 31 minutes should have gone elsewhere.  

• Like 4

Just now, 5fouls said:

This post does not align with your avatar.  :coffee:

I can only pump so much sunshine.  With everything that was on the line tonight, that was a disappointing failure.  No excuse losing to a bubble team at home on senior night when your tournament life hangs in the balance.

I'll get past it and get back to my more positive self, but it's pretty hard to look at the egg laid tonight by a team I THOUGHT was hungry to go dancing and find much to be happy with.  Better days ahead, I guess...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've never agreed with making it personal for on-court failure.  There is plenty of blame to go around with what I saw tonight.

No problem with constructive criticism but social media is always a cesspool.  We have no idea what these players are going through off the court. They were talking about some of the problems that Stewart had with speaking and I guess he pre recorded his speech.  Also XJ just lost his grandfather lady month and he was very close to him.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I guess UW shouldn't be in the tournament because they lost at home to Rutgers. LOL!

One of these times your eternal optimism until it is clear that the bottom has fallen out will pay off.  I just it happens sometime before I turn 60.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can only pump so much sunshine.  With everything that was on the line tonight, that was a disappointing failure.  No excuse losing to a bubble team at home on senior night when your tournament life hangs in the balance.

I'll get past it and get back to my more positive self, but it's pretty hard to look at the egg laid tonight by a team I THOUGHT was hungry to go dancing and find much to be happy with.  Better days ahead, I guess...

Actually, I am campaigning for you to change the avatar.  I don't want sunshine right now, because it's fake.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

Coaches are rarely going to bench good shooters for missing open shots. It just doesn't really happen that often. 

Then mentality is rarely, 'well, sit him he just doesn't have it tonight.' The vast majority of coaches are happy with the open looks and know a good shooter is going to start knocking them down if we keep getting them open looks.

IU just had an unfortunate night at the worst time where Stewart just kept missing. But, it's rare to bench a good 3pt shooter for missing great looks. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

One of these times your eternal optimism until it is clear that the bottom has fallen out will pay off.  I just it happens sometime before I turn 60.

I guess with me being old enough to actually see IU great makes me a little more patient than people who haven't seen that.  Also I hated the kind of fan I use to be and how I use to act during games.  I am not proud of how I use to act during games and how I use to embarrass my kids.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Coaches are rarely going to bench good shooters for missing open shots. It just doesn't really happen that often. 

Then mentality is rarely, 'well, sit him he just doesn't have it tonight.' The vast majority of coaches are happy with the open looks and know a good shooter is going to start knocking them down if we keep getting them open looks.

IU just had an unfortunate night at the worst time where Stewart just kept missing. But, it's rare to bench a good 3pt shooter for missing great looks. 

Pretty sure the last play, if it wasn’t tipped, was the Valpo play for Stewart. And it was the right call.

He is our best shooter and we kept getting him shots. Saying we should stop getting him shots is like saying you’d pinch hit for your best hitter in baseball because he is 0/4 to that point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Ex-Wife #8 used to accuse me of not sticking with things long term.  Not sure what I've done to get that reputation.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So why doesn't it hurt Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Texas, Florida, MSU, or basically any other good program?

Exactly.  Losing is what hurts.  Not making the tournament since 2016 hurts.

This isn't Steve Alford days anymore (clearly) so with NIL and the portal, these kids better get used to being treated more like pro players.  We've dispensed with the charade of "amateur" guys doing it for the ol' Alma Mater.  3 of our 5 starters were basically mercenaries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're being really naive if you don't think every fanbase, college or pro, doesn't have this. 

I just think our fan base is a lot bigger than most and ate way more passionate than other programs.  It seems like we have a lot of fans who follow young guys who play basketball on social media.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just think our fan base is a lot bigger than most and ate way more passionate than other programs.  It seems like we have a lot of fans who follow young guys who play basketball on social media.

Yeah, I think you're being naive on this. Every fanbase of major college sports has this. 

• Like 5