Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think you're being naive on this. Every fanbase of major college sports has this. 

Well if the team is winning I doubt the fans has as much to complain about and all of those teams had won consistently.  So why do you think we have trouble generating a lot of interest in our coaching vacancies.  Like I have said we have blamed coaches, AD's and the administrations and we have changed those positions several times.  The one constant is the fan base who turns on coaches to fast.

Edited by IU Scott

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Coaches are rarely going to bench good shooters for missing open shots. It just doesn't really happen that often. 

Then mentality is rarely, 'well, sit him he just doesn't have it tonight.' The vast majority of coaches are happy with the open looks and know a good shooter is going to start knocking them down if we keep getting them open looks.

IU just had an unfortunate night at the worst time where Stewart just kept missing. But, it's rare to bench a good 3pt shooter for missing great looks. 

He also hit the biggest shot of the game for us….until we decided not get up on Harper and give him the easiest game winning look I can remember.

• Thanks 1

Just finished watching the game on DVR. Man, what a disappointing end to that game. It really was a perfect encapsulation of our entire season though. Good start, showed potential, took a lead into halftime, but this team crumbled at the end. It even had extra heartbreak with Parker’s 3 to tie with about 10 seconds left leading to Harper’s dagger. 

I really thought this team would be better, and frankly wasn’t far off from having 4 or 5 extra wins. BGleas is totally right; we don’t have any killers on this team. I think Tamar has that mentality, Rob has shown it at times, and Xavier has it sometimes, but we don’t have a guy who refuses to lose and has the skill to back that up. Who on our team can create a decent look for themselves? Frankly I don’t really think anyone can. We need to de-emphasize post play, have a true stretch 4 playing that position, and get some wings who can create their own shot and be a true closer at the end of close games. I think this program can get rolling quickly, but there needs to be some real changes this offseason. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well if the team is winning I doubt the fans has as much to complain about and all of those teams had won consistently.  So why do you think we have trouble generating a lot of interest in our coaching vacancies.

We should have doubled our offer to Brad Stevens.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We should have doubled our offer to Brad Stevens.   

How much difference do you really think we would have seen this year with him as coach.  Give him the same roster and all of its liabilities do you really think it would be that much better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if the team is winning I doubt the fans has as much to complain about and all of those teams had won consistently.  So why do you think we have trouble generating a lot of interest in our coaching vacancies.

It has nothing to do with fans on Twitter. If it did then the coaches we target wouldn't be able to coach at any Power 5 school. They all have fans like this. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess with me being old enough to actually see IU great makes me a little more patient than people who haven't seen that.  Also I hated the kind of fan I use to be and how I use to act during games.  I am not proud of how I use to act during games and how I use to embarrass my kids.

You aren't the only one who has seen part of the glory days.  A little more patient?  We haven't been in the tournament in 6 years.  Every other team in the BIG has had a winning record since the last time we did.  All 13. 

I have 4 boys but my oldest 3 are the same age as this guy.  The youngest 2 can't remember the last time Indiana made a tournament.  My oldest kinda remembers Zeller's years but not really.  And that is almost it for his lifetime.  Think maybe 1 or 2 other years outside of that, but that's it.

Be patient...lol...I have heard that for every single hire since Knight was fired except Sampson.  Patience doesn't win games.  You need a good coach and good players.  I am not saying to fire Woodson, but there were some real "danger Will Robinson" elements to this year.

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

It has nothing to do with fans on Twitter. If it did then the coaches we target wouldn't be able to coach at any Power 5 school. They all have fans like this. 

I know they all have them but not on the scale that we have.  I guess I will just agree to disagree on this topic.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You aren't the only one who has seen part of the glory days.  A little more patient?  We haven't been in the tournament in 6 years.  Every other team in the BIG has had a winning record since the last time we did.  All 13. 

I have 4 boys but my oldest 3 are the same age as this guy.  The youngest 2 can't remember the last time Indiana made a tournament.  My oldest kinda remembers Zeller's years but not really.  And that is almost it for his lifetime.  Think maybe 1 or 2 other years outside of that, but that's it.

Be patient...lol...I have heard that for every single hire since Knight was fired except Sampson.  Patience doesn't win games.  You need a good coach and good players.  I am not saying to fire Woodson, but there were some real "danger Will Robinson" elements to this year.

What does the last 20 years have to do with this year's team and what we should expect from Woodson.  I think the last thing I would  describe this fan base is patient.  It takes our fans less than two years to start to turn on the coaches. Just because they weren't fired right away doesn't mean the fans were patient.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just don't think making coaching changes every few years is a way to bud a sid program.  Most top programs have stability even during losing seasons.  

Other then DBM I dont think anyone has said anything about changing coaches. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Other then DBM I dont think anyone has said anything about changing coaches. 

I know they haven't but I have seen people saying he should be fired next year after just two years.  We have had 6 coaches in 22 years and those coaching changes hasn't help one bit. The thing is that this is just a small part of the fan base and have seen other media outlets where people are wanting a change already.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What does the last 20 years have to do with this year's team and what we should expect from Woodson.  I think the last thing I would  describe this fan base is patient.  It takes our fans less than two years to start to turn on the coaches. Just because they weren't fired right away doesn't mean the fans were patient.

Sorry but you don't live in reality.  The past 20 years absolutely have everything to do with now.  And they will continue to have something to do with it until someone lands the job and is consistently successful.

Same as dating, we bring (brought) our prior relationships with us.  If you keep running into similar behavior, your grace is going to decrease with each new significant other.  First one likes going out partying without you and cheats on you, you are going to be leery if the next one is out partying and fails to come home one night.  If that one then cheats on you, then the next one is going to be dealing with the baggage of the last 2.  And on and on until you find your match.

And that is where we have gotten with the coaches.  Davis, never should have been hired kept well past expiration date.  Sampson cheated and the house was burned down in his wake.  Crean kept longer than he should have been.  Archie 4 years of "help is on the way and be patient."  

If we got our guy, we should be able to sell him right now despite the record.  So sell Woodson based off on the court product.  I think 5fouls pointed out some troubling things.  Substitution patterns seem off, never really was able to tailor the offense to the team, etc.

Woody is around for at least 4 years most likely.  Hopefully he figures some sh*t out this offseason because we are pretty much out of do overwa at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought Harper should got a T for taunting after his 3 pointer. Rutgers has a few punchable players on their team.  It is time for us to stop letting teams  come in AH and win then taunt the crowd.

I am so tired of having late leads and blowing them in the last 3 minutes.  We ran good plays and got wide open looks but just couldn't hit wide open 3's.  TJD should look at himself because he is to easy to guard and can be taken out of games late.  He just hasn't expanded his game to where you have to be ready for different moves from him 

Home court advantage isn’t even a thing anymore. Other teams aren’t afraid to play against our roster and coaching staff. What player wouldn’t enjoy silencing 17k passionate fans cheering on a dumpster fire? 

• Like 1

I want to know who the genius was that decided we shouldn’t have beer at games.  I would have been much happier with beer at a lot of games this year.  I mean the baseball team is gonna be bad this year and they get to offer beer to those poor fans, why not basketball!

In the off season I’d like to see the athletics office hit the beer transfer portal and bring in some additional breweries from Indiana, not just Upland and mass produced beer.  BBC Kirkwood Cream would be a great beer starter for next year.  Maybe something from Switchyard off the bench to give me a spark.

• Like 3