Offseason 2022

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So very hard, so many posts i just don't respond to because it's just not worth it lol 🤪

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so hard to find yourself agreeing with either of them isn't it?

This is like the ultimate pot met kettle moment. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You still have to have depth to get to that point. I wasn't confusing you with anyone. 

Kansas played 9 dudes 9 mins or more a game. 

In conference that downgraded to 8.  And, realistically, you can actually argue 7 since Martin was out for half the games.  

image.png.1e8b5f26322119badd271b75297e9de3.png

Just now, 5fouls said:

In conference that downgraded to 8.  And, realistically, you can actually argue 7 since Martin was out for half the games.  

But that wasnt their design, until the injury. I'm not seeing where they downgraded to 8 in general though? From the graph you posted. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This isn't giving me anything. I understand we aren't going to be as good, at times, when the bench is on the court. The Michigan, RU, Purdue, and Wyoming games don't support your stance.

And a 4 min break for TJD where we are only -2, is good for our basketball team. He has to rest. 

And you also mentioned "by the 10 min mark"... and my question is.. why would we, generally, want guys playing more then 10 straight mins in the first half? 

I think they should be subbed out by that point. 

Are you deliberately missing the point? No where did I suggest that I want guys playing more than 10 minutes in the first half.

Why do we have to rest all 3 of our best players ten minutes into the game at the same time?  

Are you saying there’s no way to have them rotate through getting rest? I mean, virtually other other CBB team does this effectively. You’re acting like this is a radical strategy. 

• Like 2

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Are you deliberately missing the point? No where did I suggest that I want guys playing more than 10 minutes in the first half.

Why do we have to rest all 3 of our best players ten minutes into the game at the same time?  

Are you saying there’s no way to have them rotate through getting rest? I mean, virtually other other CBB team does this effectively. You’re acting like this is a radical strategy. 

No, I'm saying.. it didnt have that big of an effect. Shit we won half those games lol 

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is about as true or provable as saying we can win more by only playing 7.  We have no idea because we never did it. 

And i don't have a problem giving starters a breather.  I just don't think at any given time should your best 3 players, when you only have 3 really good players, should be on the bench at the same time, unless you are really controlling the game or getting it handed to you.

With that said, i understand that my way of thinking doesn't align with yours or some others and unfortunately aligns with IUScott which makes me want to change my opinion lol, just kidding IUScott :D .  I am probably colored by watching 80-90s IU basketball where knight played his starters for such long times.  I am aware that isn't necessary today's game though.  Hard to change my thoughts on this though.

Great minds think alike, RMK pretty much only subbed due to getting 3 fouls  in a half or stupid play.  He had no set pattern to when to make subs.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Great minds think alike, RMK pretty much only subbed due to getting 3 fouls  in a half or stupid play.  He had no set pattern to when to make subs.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1999.html

This shows a different story. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2000.html

So does this

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1998.html

And this 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You definitely have to look at more than just the average minutes and look at how many games those players sued in.  I would look at the minutes of close games to see how the coaches used their bench 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No, I'm saying.. it didnt have that big of an effect. Shit we won half those games lol 

You said the Woody doesn’t use those lineups. I demonstrated that he does. And he consistently does.

And if these lineups consistently have negative swings, even in wins, than the use of them in loses is highlighted even more. Heck, the negative swings I used as examples were when we playing pretty well. I can only imagine how bad these swings were during our losing streaks. 

Again, we lost many games by less than 5 points. If we’re throwing our hands up and putting in a completely ineffective lineup mid way thought he first half, opponents are going to take advantage of it. They did - almost every single time. Those 2-4 minutes stretches probably cost us a few games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You said the Woody doesn’t use those lineups. I demonstrated that he does. And he consistently does.

And if these lineups consistently have negative swings, even in wins, than the use of them in loses is highlighted even more. Heck, the negative swings I used as examples were when we playing pretty well. I can only imagine how bad these swings were during our losing streaks. 

Again, we lost many games by less than 5 points. If we’re throwing our hands up and putting in a completely ineffective lineup mid way thought he first half, opponents are going to take advantage of it. They did - almost every single time. Those 2-4 minutes stretches probably cost us a few games. 

Iowa. It cost us at Iowa. After having been very good two straight games against Minnesota and OSU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I have watched a lot of old games since the pandemic started and stand by my comments.  In the games I watched which were mainly 81, 87, 92 and 93. In most of those games which were big games and most were close games. In those games RMK did not have a set time to sub and he subbed mainly due to foul troubles which was 3 fouls in a half. He also benched you got stupid plays.  You can look at minutes per game for bench players but look at how many games those players played and how many of their minutes were in blowouts. In the 92 we only dressed 10 guys while 3 were redshirting and he only played 8 of those 10 significant minutes.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

True the late 90's and early 00's show that.

1979 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1980.html
1980 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1981.html
1981 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1982.html

He always played his best player maximum minutes.  And maybe that is what i remember the most about him. 

You do prove your point so i will acquis the point to you.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So funny you showed 3 of the worst teams in the RMK era. 

No... I showed the three last. And I will tell you why..  they all had similar records and post seasons results as our team this past year. 

So while you try and compare a very marginally above average 21-22 IU basketball team to a National champion...  I am trying to make a much more relevant comparison. 

But either way..  it happened. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

True the late 90's and early 00's show that.

1979 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1980.html
1980 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1981.html
1981 - https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1982.html

He always played his best player maximum minutes.  And maybe that is what i remember the most about him. 

You do prove your point so i will acquis the point to you.  

I dont want a point.

I'll I'm trying to say is.... you aren't "wrong" to have 8-9 guys in your rotation, if it works for you. I dont think either way is wrong or right. I just dont think you can say a coach was "wrong" when they didnt play their starters X amount of mins.. Maybe their starters suck lol idk

Hard to know about 79-- who the heck knows what happens if coach is healthy. Dang it!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty good team and look like the two that started every game played 30 minutes.  He tried a lot of different starting lineups so a lot of guys started to push up those numbers.  Also that was a very deep team with experience. I just didn't think this year's team was deep and those bench players didn't compare to the bench Ayers of the 91 team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty good team and look like the two that started every game played 30 minutes.  He tried a lot of different starting lineups so a lot of guys started to push up those numbers.  Also that was a very deep team with experience. I just didn't think this year's team was deep and those bench players didn't compare to the bench Ayers of the 91 team.

Who is getting cut from the rotation? You can't say Durr... if the kid from KU wasn't in their rotation, Durr absolutely wasn't in ours. 

So past him-- Bates, TG, JG, RP-- one of them gotta go. It makes no sense man. You have to get those 4 mins, for just an abundance of reasons. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who is getting cut from the rotation? You can't say Durr... if the kid from KU wasn't in their rotation, Durr absolutely wasn't in ours. 

So past him-- Bates, TG, JG, RP-- one of them gotta go. It makes no sense man. You have to get those 4 mins, for just an abundance of reasons. 

Bates or Galloway.  I am not worried about keeping the most kids happy I am worried about putting the best team in the floor.  If we had 10 guys on this team and had lite drop off then go for it and play two different units but we don't have that and most teams don't.  Just look at the final four teams this year they say 7-8 guys most of the minutes especially in the tournament. I guess the major difference is that kids back then we're patient enough to wait their turn for playing time.  Today if they aren't playing coaches have to worry about them transferring early.