INDIANA BEATS ILLINOIS POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Dakich knew about the problems with Sampson and chose to keep his mouth shut. When it mattered most the dude who can't keep his mouth shut swallowed his tongue. 

If you think that's really the case, I got nothing for you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

If you think that's really the case, I got nothing for you. 

So the person hired as Director Basketball Operation which involves the daily operations of Indiana Basketball and recruitment had zero, literally zero idea of what Sampson was doing? So basically he was another Indiana admin who was terrible at their job?

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

So the person hired as Director Basketball Operation which involves the daily operations of Indiana Basketball and recruitment had zero, literally zero idea of what Sampson was doing? So basically he was another Indiana admin who was terrible at their job. 

How do we think Dakich would act if Archie Miller went on a 4 year campaign constantly referring to Dakich in the media and on social media as "cheater Dan" due to his association with Sampson?

How would the people that think Dakich such "calls it like he sees it" would react?

• Like 1

I do think Dan cares about IU. His flaming I think stems from him not being on that IU sideline? Some of the stuff he says is spot on and other stuff seems to be trolling for hits. Seems to be all about entertainment with a twist of reality in there.

A lot of people don’t like him because he can say things they don’t want to believe. I used to be one of those people. I used to hate him, now I think I just understand him for who he is. Doesn’t mean I always agree with him. I definitely don’t go out of my way to listen to his shows.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

How do we think Dakich would act if Archie Miller went on a 4 year campaign constantly referring to Dakich in the media and on social media as "cheater Dan" due to his association with Sampson?

How would the people that think Dakich such "calls it like he sees it" would react?

I'm sure Dan would be extremely calm and have a polite discussion regarding the merits of him being called "cheater Dan."

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I do think Dan cares about IU. His flaming I think stems from him not being on that IU sideline? Some of the stuff he says is spot on and other stuff seems to be trolling for hits. Seems to be all about entertainment with a twist of reality in there.

A lot of people don’t like him because he can say things they don’t want to believe. I used to be one of those people. I used to hate him, now I think I just understand him for who he is. Doesn’t mean I always agree with him. I definitely don’t go out of my way to listen to his shows.

Agree for the most part. 

I dont have a problem with Dakich. He says a lot of things that are spot on and he says a lot of things that are ridiculous. It's part of the deal and part of the gig. 

I just don't like his fans trying to act like he isn't what he is. He's a smart basketball mind that has put decades of sweat, blood and tears into the IU basketball program. He's also incredibly disrespectful and quite often goes way below the belt with players and coaches. 

Just be honest (not meaning you, just generally) about what he is. 

• Like 3

Sorry for derailing the thread. It's a snowy Saturday morning here in PA, so just kind of sitting on the couch bored and not doing much. 

Don't worry, I have to record today's game again and watch it later (daughter has a volleyball tournament) so we're good there. 

• Like 1

I'll end my part with this...

@ephul, I've always appreciated you as a poster, but I think you're way off here...

Dakich has already talked his way out of one great gig (ESPN play color analyst..."it was as much my choice as their choice" 😂😂😂) and is fixing to talk his way out of another. 

That stuff about running sandwiches for DoorDash as penance for running up gambling debts? Bullsh!t...and then doing it for sh!ts and grins after he'd paid his debt? Double BS...

I understand his thoughts..."the more controversial I am, I'll get both people who like me and hate me hitting the show" only lasts so long...

Empty wagons make the most noise...

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll end my part with this...

@ephul, I've always appreciated you as a poster, but I think you're way off here...

Dakich has already talked his way out of one great gig (ESPN play color analyst..."it was as much my choice as their choice" 😂😂😂) and is fixing to talk his way out of another. 

That stuff about running sandwiches for DoorDash as penance for running up gambling debts? Bullsh!t...and then doing it for sh!ts and grins after he'd paid his debt? Double BS...

I understand his thoughts..."the more controversial I am, I'll get both people who like me and hate me hitting the show" only lasts so long...

Empty wagons make the most noise...

- Maybe the ESPN gig wasn't good for him? It's great from the. outside looking in. What may be good for some, may not be good for many.

- I don't understand the "doubt" of him door dashing. It's pretty down to earth, to be honest. We would applaud anyone else that did this.

- He's been voted the top show in Indianapolis A LOT. Love him, hate him, whatever. I get people not liking him; I really do. But a lot of people enjoy his perspective.

2 hours ago, ephul said:

I'm not dancing around anything. What I'm saying is, there's more to it than Archie wasn't winning, so he called him "Lil Archie".

You call it disrespectful, and that's fine. Let's go back to every game IU has played and take a look at the comments on this forum. My issue is, we all act like Dan is supposed to be different because he has a radio show. He's supposed to leave his personal feelings out of it.

I guess when I say he's not "disrespectful", I'm talking about his general assessments toward IU basketball and criticisms of it. Has he said "disrespectful" things? Sure. We all have. Should he "be better"? I guess this is where I've got a differing opinion. He is who he is. He doesn't need to change just because he's on the radio. If enough people have a problem with it, he wouldn't have a show. 

You flat out don’t get it.  You.don’t.get.it.  Nobody begrudges him the chance to criticize IU’s handling of the program or if there is a bad game plan in a particular game.  We all say that.  It’s hardly a newsflash.  The fact that you keep clinging to these points shows that you don’t in fact get it.  No one here is arguing that IU has done a great job with IU basketball.  No one is arguing that Archie is a great coach, etc.  He played for IU and everyone gives him his due for that.  Literally none of that is in dispute and none of it is related to why he has issues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t care one way or the other what Dan Dakich says, which is why I haven’t listened to him in years. If he makes you angry, don’t listen. His controversy is made to get and keep people talking. The worst thing anyone in a ratings/attention-dependent spot can face is silence. 

2 hours ago, ephul said:

Again, Woody will be on Dakichs show again soon. I could almost bet on it.

The only person that understands and doesn't take it to heart is probably Woody.

Woody being a former alum still doesn't mean he can't be criticized. I think many of us were and still do criticize some of Woodys coaching. It is what it is. Its year 1 and we've appeared to turn things around. Live and learn.

Or… Woody knows there’s a portion of the fan base he needs to cater to that for some unfathomable reason take a shock jock seriously….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

I don’t know about turn things around like someone just mentioned. I’m not on that ‘we’re back’ roller coaster anymore. They won two games they likely shouldn’t have given their resume and the overall eye test for the mediocre season. They played well for three halves of the four. Kudos for finally playing to your potential.

I say most of it is two key players returning to the lineup and providing a lift.

This post makes zero sense man.

Your criticize the team for being “mediocre” and say they won games they shouldn’t have, but then say that only happened because they had two guys they haven’t for a lot of the season (including the skid).

Do you think maybe it just shows how ridiculous a lot of the criticism was in the first place?

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This post makes zero sense man.

Your criticize the team for being “mediocre” and say they won games they shouldn’t have, but then say that only happened because they had two guys they haven’t for a lot of the season (including the skid).

Do you think maybe it just shows how ridiculous a lot of the criticism was in the first place?

No. Sorry it’s unclear 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

So, just to clarify, you think DD had no idea what was going on, yet he almost immediately kicked a bunch of guys off the team? That makes sense to you?

Do you think Dakich had the power to fire Sampson? Seriously? Is that what you're saying? He knew exactly what was going on, thus, the administration did too. Did Kelvin Sampson report to Dan Dakich?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Do you think Dakich had the power to fire Sampson? Seriously? Is that what you're saying? He knew exactly what was going on, thus, the administration did too. Did Kelvin Sampson report to Dan Dakich?

Ok, so you’re saying DD knew what was going on, but just didn’t say anything? I’m just trying to clarify what you were saying with that comment. 

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, so you’re saying DD knew what was going on, but just didn’t say anything? I’m just trying to clarify what you were saying with that comment. 

Dakich reported everything he knew/what was going on to the administration (his bosses). I'm not sure what more people would expect him to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Dakich knew about the problems with Sampson and chose to keep his mouth shut. When it mattered most the dude who can't keep his mouth shut swallowed his tongue. 

I'm just catching up on this thread after the day. This seems to cover what I saw and heard. I'll never forget at the Coaches vs Cancer breakfast in Oct of 2007. My wife and I are sitting with Senderoff and he keeps dropping his phone...all nervous and stuff. My wife goes...this guy is a coach of ours? Dakich is talking with him and the crew...again all smiles/laughing/smiling/photos with Kelvin,etc..

PS...later that day is the day the news broke about Kelvin. 

Dakich swallowed his tongue for a $ like you said....because at the time nobody would hire the guy except for one old friend inside the athletic department.

One other thing that's always bothered me with Dan/Archie. Archie went out of his way to get Dan's daughter an internship....yet he kept calling him lil Archie. Dan is a complete jagoff and anyone that sides with him or his thought pattern might want spend a few hours at the pharmacy or a shrinks office. 

• Like 6