INDIANA BEATS ILLINOIS POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

Just now, ephul said:

There's a lot more to that than Archie simply not winning.

I really don't care that Dan is a meanie sometimes. Some do. That's fine.

My point is, Dan has a little more leeway in my mind to criticize IU basketball than fans do. Dan watched the University that he put his heart and soul in for years just turn their back on former players and coaches. He watched them hire cheaters and do everything in their power to change the culture of IU. That'd piss me off too.

He had that leeway the first decade he mocked IU. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Right! Calling Langford "shoe guy". That's not disrespectful? That's not meant to disparage Langford's character? 

Does taking money from a shoe company behind the scenes disparage character?

If people don't think funny business went on behind the scenes, I got nothing for you. And it is what it is in college basketball.

But I think Dan has a little more of the scoop than we do

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Does taking money from a shoe company behind the scenes disparage character?

If people don't think funny business went on behind the scenes, I got nothing for you. And it is what it is in college basketball.

But I think Dan has a little more of the scoop than we do

He doesn't call anyone else that. He doesn't call any of the players from his era that, and we know stuff went on in the 80's and 90's. He only calls Langford that, and he does it as a member of the media, not as a former player in a bar or something. 

It's 100% meant to disparage Langford's character and as far as what has been reported, the Langford's did everything above board. Taking shoe money to fund an AAU program, while certainly a workaround, is not against the rules. 

Dakich has not reported anything that justifies him calling Langford "shoe guy".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ephul said:

There's a lot more to that than Archie simply not winning.

I really don't care that Dan is a meanie sometimes. Some do. That's fine.

My point is, Dan has a little more leeway in my mind to criticize IU basketball than fans do. Dan watched the University that he put his heart and soul in for years just turn their back on former players and coaches. He watched them hire cheaters and do everything in their power to change the culture of IU. That'd piss me off too.

You're dancing around the issue though. You say he isn't disrespectful to people and he indisputably, 100% is. 

There's no justification for calling Archie 'lil Archie's for 4 years. He is purposefully meant to belittle and embarrass the man. That's not criticism, it's acting like a child. 

You said Dakich doesn't do that. We've given you clear, concrete examples and then you just reply with justifications or excuses on how it's ok in that case. 

The guy acts like a 2 year old on radio and social media. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He doesn't call anyone else that. He doesn't call any of the players from his era that, and we know stuff went on in the 80's and 90's. He only calls Langford that, and he does it as a member of the media, not as a former player in a bar or something. 

It's 100% meant to disparage Langford's character and as far as what has been reported, the Langford's did everything above board. Taking shoe money to fund an AAU program, while certainly a workaround, is not against the rules. 

Dakich has not reported anything that justifies him calling Langford "shoe guy".

Agree to disagree. You don't like Dakich, that's fine. I understand why people don't. 

I enjoy listening to him and understand his perspective. I'm not saying he's a perfect human being, or says all the right things.

He has a radio show. People enjoy listening to him. Being himself has made his show popular. Why change?

• Like 1

Dakich does know basketball and does know the IU program better than most. I don’t have a problem listening to him when he analyzes games.

Dakich is mean spirited, disparaging, condescending, and an ass on his radio show. He takes pleasure in acting this way to anyone who disagrees with him or calls him out. He wants you to know that he is smarter than you, and doesn’t handle it well when callers don’t buy it.

Sorry @ephul, regardless of how much cache Dackich has in your mind, that doesn’t give him the right to act like he does 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ephul said:

Agree to disagree. You don't like Dakich, that's fine. I understand why people don't. 

I enjoy listening to him and understand his perspective. I'm not saying he's a perfect human being, or says all the right things.

He has a radio show. People enjoy listening to him. Being himself has made his show popular. Why change?

I'm not disputing any of that. The guy is great as an analyst too.

Just don't try to say he doesn't disrespect and disparage people and go below the belt much of the time. He absolutely, 100% does. 

That's his shtick and it's worked for him. But don't deny that it's his shtick. 

8 minutes ago, ephul said:

The IU administration wanted him on there, bud. Sampson didnt.

The administration knew who they hired, in a former cheater.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me...

So the administration hired Dakich to keep an eye on the ne'er-do-well that they'd hired, with the thought being he'd speak up if Sampson started pulling stuff?

Well, Dan didn't say anything til after the fact...

I always have Dakich kudos for what his did in the interim role...

But his subsequent bitter tears and overboard criticism of players and coaches, especially this year, spent that cachet...

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

You're dancing around the issue though. You say he isn't disrespectful to people and he indisputably, 100% is. 

There's no justification for calling Archie 'lil Archie's for 4 years. He is purposefully meant to belittle and embarrass the man. That's not criticism, it's acting like a child. 

You said Dakich doesn't do that. We've given you clear, concrete examples and then you just reply with justifications or excuses on how it's ok in that case. 

The guy acts like a 2 year old on radio and social media. 

I'm not dancing around anything. What I'm saying is, there's more to it than Archie wasn't winning, so he called him "Lil Archie".

You call it disrespectful, and that's fine. Let's go back to every game IU has played and take a look at the comments on this forum. My issue is, we all act like Dan is supposed to be different because he has a radio show. He's supposed to leave his personal feelings out of it.

I guess when I say he's not "disrespectful", I'm talking about his general assessments toward IU basketball and criticisms of it. Has he said "disrespectful" things? Sure. We all have. Should he "be better"? I guess this is where I've got a differing opinion. He is who he is. He doesn't need to change just because he's on the radio. If enough people have a problem with it, he wouldn't have a show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not disputing any of that. The guy is great as an analyst too.

Just don't try to say he doesn't disrespect and disparage people and go below the belt much of the time. He absolutely, 100% does. 

That's his shtick and it's worked for him. But don't deny that it's his shtick. 

I think he calls it how he sees it. I'm not sure that means he goes "below the belt".

He goes at it with people that he has a spat with. Sure. And there's more to the story 99% of the time.

Is it his "shtick"? Sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me...

So the administration hired Dakich to keep an eye on the ne'er-do-well that they'd hired, with the thought being he'd speak up if Sampson started pulling stuff?

Well, Dan didn't say anything til after the fact...

I always have Dakich kudos for what his did in the interim role...

But his subsequent bitter tears and overboard criticism of players and coaches, especially this year, spent that cachet...

The administration knew good and well what was going on with the team.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

I'm not dancing around anything. What I'm saying is, there's more to it than Archie wasn't winning, so he called him "Lil Archie".

You call it disrespectful, and that's fine. Let's go back to every game IU has played and take a look at the comments on this forum. My issue is, we all act like Dan is supposed to be different because he has a radio show. He's supposed to leave his personal feelings out of it.

I guess when I say he's not "disrespectful", I'm talking about his general assessments toward IU basketball and criticisms of it. Has he said "disrespectful" things? Sure. We all have. Should he "be better"? I guess this is where I've got a differing opinion. He is who he is. He doesn't need to change just because he's on the radio. If enough people have a problem with it, he wouldn't have a show. 

I haven't said a word about winning in regards to Archie. There is no scenario where calling him "lil Archie" for four years is justified. 

A child calls another man "lil Archie" publicly for 4 years because he's mad he's not getting his way. 

And yes, Dakich is held to a higher standard then fans on a message board. That should be fairly clear, he's supposed to be a professional. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So now we have an IU alum and DD mocks him!!! Hes a joke!! 

Again, Woody will be on Dakichs show again soon. I could almost bet on it.

The only person that understands and doesn't take it to heart is probably Woody.

Woody being a former alum still doesn't mean he can't be criticized. I think many of us were and still do criticize some of Woodys coaching. It is what it is. Its year 1 and we've appeared to turn things around. Live and learn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I haven't said a word about winning in regards to Archie. There is no scenario where calling him "lil Archie" for four years is justified. 

A child calls another man "lil Archie" publicly for 4 years because he's mad he's not getting his way. 

And yes, Dakich is held to a higher standard then fans on a message board. That should be fairly clear, he's supposed to be a professional. 

A professional what exactly? A professional because someone paid for him to talk and give his thoughts on the radio? That's exactly what they are paying him to do. To be himself.

I'm not sure why he should be held to a higher standard than other fans when it comes to a matter of being respectful.

He's a human being. As we all are. I'm not sure why our comments on a message board are fine and his are not. I'd say our collective bitching about things does more to the players/coaches psyche than Dan's comments.

Edited by ephul
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The only person that understands and doesn't take it to heart is probably Woody.

Woody being a former alum still doesn't mean he can't be criticized. I think many of us were and still do criticize some of Woodys coaching. It is what it is. Its year 1 and we've appeared to turn things around. Live and learn.

Nobody has a problem with criticism. We criticize the coach and players all day long here. 

Maybe this will help you understand what we're saying. If we criticized your position on this on this message board the same way Dakich criticizes IU players and coaches, then we would be given a ban from the board. 

If that's your cup of tea, totally fine. Lots of people like Dakich, he wouldn't have a show if they didn't. But, he's also a shock jock with his delivery and purposely tried to be disrespectful and disparage people publicly. It's what he does. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

If he said that about RMK, most of you would have camped outside of DD office and demanded a resignation lol 

To call it criticism is laughable. He can't form an actual point, he just yells and cusses the loudest.. which I get it, hes an entertainer. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know about turn things around like someone just mentioned. I’m not on that ‘we’re back’ roller coaster anymore. They won two games they likely shouldn’t have given their resume and the overall eye test for the mediocre season. They played well for three halves of the four. Kudos for finally playing to your potential.

I say most of it is two key players returning to the lineup and providing a lift.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If he said that about RMK, most of you would have camped outside of DD office and demanded a resignation lol 

What is the obsession with defending someone that is so clearly a pos? 

I guess this is what I find funny. Calling Dan a "POS" on here is fine and dandy. But if he "disparages" someone, he's out of bounds.

I just don't see how that makes Dan any worse of a person than people calling him names.

But I guess Dan did it first, so that's all good.

• Like 1

I guess this is what I find funny. Calling Dan a "POS" on here is fine and dandy. But if he "disparages" someone, he's out of bounds.

I just don't see how that makes Dan any worse of a person than people calling him names.

But I guess Dan did it first, so that's all good.

For him to not recognize that Woodson should be treated and looked at with more respect then he does .... tells me allllllll I need to know. 

• Like 2