Jump to content

Indiana Beats Wyoming Post Game!!


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You have to have ball handlers in at the end of games.  

You have XJ and PS in the game (I think - I don't remember exactly who was in at that time, but I remember PS getting caught in a double team, which was almost another costly mistake), and they have to foul as soon as someone touches the ball. Ball handlers aren't as important as good FT shooters in that situation, and I don't want Trey shooting FTs for a number of reasons. He's simply not playing smart basketball for whatever reason, and it showed down the stretch last night.

TBF, I'm not sure I trust anyone on this team down the stretch other than possibly XJ or TJD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tru/CBS and the NCAA try to portray that the playing field across the league is more level than it actually is. They want a Cinderella team and a no name player to emerge. They tried as hard as they could to make Ike and/Moldonado one of those players. 

Don’t get me wrong, those guys are good players, but the Mountain West doesn’t have many guys that can play them straight up. They don’t have the caliber of coaches that major conferences do; and I mean coaches down the entire length of the bench. How do teams in the MW not adjust to a game plan that is just post, post, post and post? When I heard that’s all they do I was wondering how it was so effective for an entire season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Nice to be finally winning games in March! 

It took 15 minutes in the first half for IU to settle down. I hope we can carry that over to St Mary's. Let's jump on them out of the gate and benefit from this extra game getting us in rhythm. 

TJD looked like an All American. It was clear from the beginning that he came to play. TJD and Geronimo were not going to let us lose. 

Geronimo displayed his NBA potential. 

Xavier breaking down the D was crucial even if he was inefficient on O. 

Race did show some hustle and had a couple dunks. 

Parkers D was important. 

Our lack of 3 pt shooting brings us closer to a breakout shooting night. Hopefully we won't need it Thursday. I'd rather save it for Sat. 

Lastly, @5fouls did avoid a meltdown by leaving the game chat early. Just have a little more confidence in your team next time. 

I like this take.  Cheers to you being correct. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I miss the crazy positive poster, I forget his name? but come on people IU was the way better team, played very poorly offensively and was in no real danger of losing that game. Wyoming might not be great but they’re a tourney team. TJD and JG won that game. Two guys!! When’s the last time we can say any of this after a win? 

 

tenor (4).gif

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugly Ugly Ugly but I'll take it. Survive and advance was never more accurate of a statement.

Frankly, I'm not sure IU could have beaten any other team in the tournament last night. They set basketball offense back 70 years. They never seem to get a good squared up shot from outside. Everything looked rushed by Parker, Miller, and anyone else attempting a perimeter shot. I'm done hoping it will magically change. Time to accept the fact this team can't hit water from a boat.

Fortunately Wyoming really only has two players on the team that you have to guard and those two shot 30 of their 46 shots last night. They only hit six three pointers and turned it over like crazy. They basically forced IU to win the game.

Coming off their best play of the year in the B1G tourney it's disheartening to see them take such a big step back. That said, nothing surprises me with this team. If they come out and play a great game again St Mary's I wouldn't be shocked and if they lost by 30 I wouldn't be shocked.

Note: Not sure how the refs could not see the Wyoming flops. They were determined to fall on any IU drive and they were just as determined to flop when shooting threes. Some of them weren't really that close but I guess the refs didn't see it.

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

Ugly Ugly Ugly but I'll take it. Survive and advance was never more accurate of a statement.

Frankly, I'm not sure IU could have beaten any other team in the tournament last night. They set basketball offense back 70 years. They never seem to get a good squared up shot from outside. Everything looked rushed by Parker, Miller, and anyone else attempting a perimeter shot. I'm done hoping it will magically change. Time to accept the fact this team can't hit water from a boat.

Fortunately Wyoming really only has two players on the team that you have to guard and those two shot 30 of their 46 shots last night. They only hit six three pointers and turned it over like crazy. They basically forced IU to win the game.

Coming off their best play of the year in the B1G tourney it's disheartening to see them take such a big step back. That said, nothing surprises me with this team. If they come out and play a great game again St Mary's I wouldn't be shocked and if they lost by 30 I wouldn't be shocked.

Note: Not sure how the refs could not see the Wyoming flops. They were determined to fall on any IU drive and they were just as determined to flop when shooting threes. Some of them weren't really that close but I guess the refs didn't see it.

Completely agree. I try not to be negative, but if we weren't playing in that game last night, I would have turned it off in the first half. I could rationalize that it was great defense, but it was just bad basketball by both teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great win! I'm really excited for the players here. They have worked so hard to get to experience the tournament and now to win and advance is awesome.

The game itself was a dominating defensive performance from IU. So many fans are complaining about the shooting whoas that it's detracting from defensive side of the game IMO. PStew played more minutes than anyone else last night and was a huge factor in keeping their PG in check and turning them over so much yet let's focus on his one over zealous closeout and the 2 3's he missed. So many other good things from the defensive side but offensive stats are the gauge most people seem to use to determine if someone had a good game or not so I won't waist any more time calling those out (plus I'm trying to get this posted for the 3rd time before the site goes down again 😉  )

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ba43056 said:

For any of the boxing fans out there, that was like boxing John Ruiz. That team's offense was brutal to watch and kept us from getting into any kind of a flow. 

Stewart might lead the nation in giving up potential four-point plays. 

It was the first game I've watched that Galloway played poorly. 

Geronimo was our difference maker. You have to expect your star to give you big numbers but getting that effort from Geronimo was certainly the difference maker. 

Ike reminded me a lot of a poor mans Zeebo Randolph. 

 

I feel pretty confident as long as St. Mary's doesn't shoot the lights we'll beat them. 

 

I think galloway is sick...underweather

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

Happy that we won. Relieved would be closer to the truth. I think we are getting close to the ceiling for this team. We all know how well they CAN play, but so often this season, for whatever reason,they don’t reach that level. A lot of things have been accomplished, and I am grateful. I would love to beat St Mary’s, and this team can do it. But if tonight’s version of IU shows up, it won’t happen. From this point on, we are definitely playing with house money. 

But their main competition is #1 Gonzaga (the great and powerful)since they in such a great conference maybe they should have been a 2 seed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

Happy that we won. Relieved would be closer to the truth. I think we are getting close to the ceiling for this team. We all know how well they CAN play, but so often this season, for whatever reason,they don’t reach that level. A lot of things have been accomplished, and I am grateful. I would love to beat St Mary’s, and this team can do it. But if tonight’s version of IU shows up, it won’t happen. From this point on, we are definitely playing with house money. 

But their main competition is #1 Gonzaga (the great and powerful)since they in such a great conference maybe they should have been a 2 seed..../sarc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

You have XJ and PS in the game (I think - I don't remember exactly who was in at that time, but I remember PS getting caught in a double team, which was almost another costly mistake), and they have to foul as soon as someone touches the ball. Ball handlers aren't as important as good FT shooters in that situation, and I don't want Trey shooting FTs for a number of reasons. He's simply not playing smart basketball for whatever reason, and it showed down the stretch last night.

TBF, I'm not sure I trust anyone on this team down the stretch other than possibly XJ or TJD.

PS isn't a ball handler though. Or at least not a very good one. Trey is a good FT shooter. We got lucky PS didn't turn it over when we put him in that position. Once that happened, Trey was coming in no matter what. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need to give credit to Wyoming’s defense. Don’t underestimate how much their size impacted things. It clearly frustrated X and made it difficult for him to drive and finish. Our lack of shooting really allowed them to pack it in tight in the middle. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I certainly hope that's the case because fouling out in 12 minutes isn't anything like good basketball.

Hes usually brighteyed he was squinting throughout game and had a overall sick look to him...kinda like my Marines i always had to keep an eye on them cause they never tell me when they were ...ugh

Edited by Dawg Bawls
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

I think he forgot to say, "in my opinion".   😉

I deleted this post. The whole post was just a big complaint after we won our first tourney game in idk how many years. To each their own. To think that game "set us back" is funny. All I got for now. 

St Mary's is the worry 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

PS isn't a ball handler though. Or at least not a very good one. Trey is a good FT shooter. We got lucky PS didn't turn it over when we put him in that position. Once that happened, Trey was coming in no matter what. 

Agreed on PS, but Trey has not shown that he's a good FT shooter this year, or a good shooter in any way, shape, or form. I guess it's a pick your poison sort of thing - Trey might be able to handle the ball better than PS, but he also had two really dumb fouls in the last 40 seconds, and hasn't been playing smart basketball for a few games now, for whatever reason. 'Course, PS also had at least one dumb foul, too. 

I've no idea what's going on with Trey and Race, but I hope they figure it out quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...