Transfer Portal 2022

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really see any minuses. It's evident he is connecting with a good number of our players by their reactions and answer in interviews when asked about CMW. 

There are potential minuses, it all depends on CMW’s approach and adjustments. Time will tell. 

“From academic problems to girlfriend issues to players who might have mental health challenges to getting phone calls from parents who are unhappy about how much their son is playing, the college coach has to deal with all of it. You don’t get to clock out, turn off your phone or go on vacation and disconnect. It’s every hour of every day. Totally different job and lifestyle than what Woodson is used to in the NBA. “

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7040706002

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

There are potential minuses, it all depends on CMW’s approach and adjustments. Time will tell. 

“From academic problems to girlfriend issues to players who might have mental health challenges to getting phone calls from parents who are unhappy about how much their son is playing, the college coach has to deal with all of it. You don’t get to clock out, turn off your phone or go on vacation and disconnect. It’s every hour of every day. Totally different job and lifestyle than what Woodson is used to in the NBA. “

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7040706002

You don't think any of that occurs in the NBA? 

Players who have mental health challenges- not exclusive or even a higher rate, I would doubt, then in the pros

Getting phone calls from disgruntled parents- ok, sure, the NBA doesn't deal with that. But he has coached JR Smith, that trumps any dumbass parent

This is why guys like Brad Stevens and Bill Donovan like the NBA better than college.  They don't have to deal with all this shit.  They don't have to recruit.  Or deal with any of this build relationship stuff.  They do their jobs and deal with the players on their teams.  And most of them are multi millionaires who can afford to deal with their own problems.  They don't have to listen to parents, just the cry baby players lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is why guys like Brad Stevens and Bill Donovan like the NBA better than college.  They don't have to deal with all this shit.  They don't have to recruit.  Or deal with any of this build relationship stuff.  They do their jobs and deal with the players on their teams.  And most of them are multi millionaires who can afford to deal with their own problems.  They don't have to listen to parents, just the cry baby players lol

Also the guy in the NBA that deals with a lot of the off the court stuff is the GM and the front office.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You don't think any of that occurs in the NBA? 

Players who have mental health challenges- not exclusive or even a higher rate, I would doubt, then in the pros

Getting phone calls from disgruntled parents- ok, sure, the NBA doesn't deal with that. But he has coached JR Smith, that trumps any dumbass parent

The NBA has more breaks/vacations, they don’t have to recruit, etc. There are reasons why if an NBA job opened many coaches would take it over college.  It’s just a better life and job in general. NBA coaches have GMs, scouts, etc doing a lot of things for them. In college they are doing all that plus getting kids to sign with you because they like you. NBA is easier for coaches. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

The NBA has more breaks/vacations, they don’t have to recruit, etc. There are reasons why if an NBA job opened many coaches would take it over college.  It’s just a better life and job in general. 

I never meant for it to seem that I was arguing which job was better. I understand why a coach would prefer NBA over college. 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I never meant for it to seem that I was arguing which job was better. I understand why a coach would prefer NBA over college. 

It is perfectly fine to debate whether Woodson gets or understand how college operates. HS coaches expect you at the state finals and get upset if you miss things and send assistants, etc. It’s building relationships with tons and tons and tons of people. People talk especially in this state. Most pro coaches coming to college fail because they can’t figure out all the things they need to do here. They need to understand how to build a team, coach it, deal with the drama, relate to kids, etc. They just have never done it at the NBA level because they don’t have to. 

Edited by IU_Realist

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

It is perfectly fine to debate whether Woodson gets or understand how college operates. HS coaches expect you at the state finals and get upset if you miss things and send assistants, etc. It’s building relationships with tons and tons and tons of people. People talk especially in this state. Most pro coaches coming to college fail because they can’t figure out all the things they need to do here. They need to understand how to build a team, coach it, deal with the drama, relate to kids, etc. They just have never done it at the NBA level because they don’t have to. 

👍

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So when can college coaches take a vacation.  April and May has some AAU tournaments so he needs to go to those. July has no time off and August school starts back.

If they win, whenever they want.  If things go south, lol, never.

Honestly, nobody cares when he goes on vacation as long as things are going well.  We all know the name of this game.  You look at Archie Miller's recruiting the 4 years he was here, if word got out that he was taking vacations during "important" recruiting times, you can guarantee that would have been on the list of reasons why "he gotta go".  "Chance to get his team better and he was off sitting on a beach somewhere staring at Mrs. Miller..." (Insert comment about her attractiveness here).  You know it.  I know it.  Everyone here knows it.

I would guess that the hardest part about being the IU coach is having message boards full of yahoos keeping track of your every move.  That sucks.  Then when you are 9-11 in the BIG and they are looking for every reason under the sun to explain why, "Well, if he wouldn't have been on vacation when guys were entering the portal, maybe he could have built relationships with some better players."  It is crazy train but you know I am right.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Iowa loses another one to the portal in Center Josh Ogundale

I think when he saw with Rebraca coming back he knew Filip was going to get the lions share of the post minutes...

Ogundele needs to work on getting his body in shape first and foremost...

Ben Carlson of Wisconsin in the portal is a bit of a surprise....

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If they win, whenever they want.  If things go south, lol, never.

Honestly, nobody cares when he goes on vacation as long as things are going well.  We all know the name of this game.  You look at Archie Miller's recruiting the 4 years he was here, if word got out that he was taking vacations during "important" recruiting times, you can guarantee that would have been on the list of reasons why "he gotta go".  "Chance to get his team better and he was off sitting on a beach somewhere staring at Mrs. Miller..." (Insert comment about her attractiveness here).  You know it.  I know it.  Everyone here knows it.

I would guess that the hardest part about being the IU coach is having message boards full of yahoos keeping track of your every move.  That sucks.  Then when you are 9-11 in the BIG and they are looking for every reason under the sun to explain why, "Well, if he wouldn't have been on vacation when guys were entering the portal, maybe he could have built relationships with some better players."  It is crazy train but you know I am right.

Too many yahoos for sure.

I doubt that CMW got to where he is in life and in his profession by not understanding the ins and outs, the nuances of dealing with all kinds of people.

Not directed at you, per se, but jeez, just let the guy breathe. Maybe not have every decision, every action, put under the microscope. 

The world of social media has plenty of other things to get all up in arms about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think he saw with Rebracca coming back Filip was going to get the lions share of the post minutes...

Ogundele needs to work on getting his body in shape first and foremost...

Ben Carlson of Wisconsin in the portal is a bit of a surprise....

I thought Rebracca was a grad transfer

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Too many yahoos for sure.

I doubt that CMW got to where he is in life and in his profession by not understanding the ins and outs, the nuances of dealing with all kinds of people.

Not directed at you, per se, but jeez, just let the guy breathe. Maybe not have every decision, every action, put under the microscope. 

The world of social media has plenty of other things to get all up in arms about. 

Great post! I get it's the nature of the beast, but geez sometimes it gets exhausting obsessing over every little thing. 

• Like 2