Social media is slowly killing us

TheWatShot

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Except methane is worse for the environment than CO2 😁

I emit so much gas on a daily basis they should try to regulate me. 

As for something else that's been annoying me, like I need anything else, the language around carbon emissions is either ignorant or purposely misleading. They talk about 0 net carbon emissions.  

Well, an indisputable law of nature is matter can neither be created or destroyed.  There are only 3 states of matter. Therefore, if carbon is not emitted as a gas then it has to be in liquid or solid form. So something somewhere is getting polluted with carbon waste. 

I guess my Scottish hooligan for an organic chemistry professor passed his hatred of ambiguous language on to me. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Lostin76 said:

GREAT post, but I’m sorry for why you made it. That has to sting a lot. 

I’ve found that deleting Facebook has been one of the best decisions I have made in my adult life. It’s such a lowest common denominator race to the bottom. Constantly seeking or pushing outrage. I was pretty addicted to Twitter, but noticed it was really upping my anxiety and anger. I walked away from Twitter and deleted my account eith a very healthy number of followers. 

I’m down to Instagram, here, and several sub-Reddits on Reddit. The latter are all very interest-focused - no politics, no fake outrage. 

I do think social media is making us more ignorant, impatient, and mean. 

Even here, I REALLY disagree with a lot of posters on a lot of issues, but I also realize we have something in common. I cannot stand to even open my computer when @Reachertalks about politics, but on a gardening or family thread I can support him or talk with him like a rational human being. 

We are all coming at things from different directions and the world is a freaking mess right now. I cherish this place and all of you. Sorry to call you out Reacher. 

And as @5fouls says, I love my morning paper and my gardening and bicycle magazines. Slow paper based media FTW!

I am late to this thread. But this is great perspective, my friend.

I disagree with you on everything but dachshunds and bikes. 🤣

But seriously, good post. 👍

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am late to this thread. But this is great perspective, my friend.

I disagree with you on everything but dachshunds and bikes. 🤣

But seriously, good post. 👍

I appreciate that! And I think I have said before that i know I’m an outlier here. 

I always assume that you all read my posts and say:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Except methane is worse for the environment than CO2 😁

Good thing our ancestors killed off all the buffalo….and imagine those dang brontosaurus…couple horses should be no issue I’d hope.

As far as lawns go there are tons of benefits and negatives to a healthy lawn. Not only do they reduce carbon dioxide because grass use it through photosynthesis but the lawn reduces water run off, reduces warming (compared to asphalt which absorbs the sun and heat), also well maintained can limit fire risks due to overgrowth, snd not last but all I’m mentioning is it creates space between you and your nosey and perhaps loud neighbors. There’s lots of negatives too like chemicals, watering, and running lawnmowers and cost to upkeep but I haven’t heard too many people complain about a nice lawn compared to having houses close together, more concrete, or wild unsightly grass and weeds growing in a neighborhood but to each their own.

• Like 3