How high can TJD climb on the All-Time list?

KoB2011

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Vic is my all time favorite player.  Chaney 2nd, Bailey 3rd.  TJD is a favorite for sure.  But I think the CAM era and the lack of winning tarnished his luster some and its not his fault, just the nature of the game.  There has been so much gloom around the program that as bright as he shines, its hard to see him for how great and awesome he is.

Big fan, thankful he chose IU and chose to stay for 4 years.

i'm surprised you grew up in the Cheaney era and would pick Vic as your all-time favorite.  i loved Vic, but just wouldn't consider him anywhere near my all-time favorite for what he did/accomplished at IU.  Alford, Cheaney, Bailey, Henderson, Guyton, Yogi, Evans...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it says a lot he has been able to do what he's done on teams that haven't been great. He has had a lot of load to carry and been the primary focus of defenses.

I don't know where to place him but if he didn't come to IU the previous 3 seasons would have likely been historically bad.  

Amen to that, sir.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

So it was Benson/Mays classes that were literally the last two classes for the old rule. Helluva long time ago. 

The other point is that they played less games on the regular season, plus the tournament had less teams so less games. For a long time it only took two wins to get to the final four.

Not taking away from guys who get the benefit of playing more games but I feel the guys who played way back gets less respect because their career numbers don't look as impressive.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The other point is that they played less games on the regular season, plus the tournament had less teams so less games. For a long time it only took two wins to get to the final four.

Not taking away from guys who get the benefit of playing more games but I feel the guys who played way back gets less respect because their career numbers don't look as impressive.

Devil's advocate here, but with more games needed to reach the FF, the more chances to falter. Strong argument that it's way more difficult now.

I do agree with you that older players shouldn't lose respect based off the lower number of games, but the same goes for current players who have to play more to reach the 'same' championship mountaintop. All eras have their pros and cons; it's nice to be able to respect all without taking away the merits of any.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Devil's advocate here, but with more games needed to reach the FF, the more chances to falter. Strong argument that it's way more difficult now.

I do agree with you that older players shouldn't lose respect based off the lower number of games, but the same goes for current players who have to play more to reach the 'same' championship mountaintop. All eras have their pros and cons; it's nice to be able to respect all without taking away the merits of any.

Last year Kansas won the championship and played 40 games.

1976 IU won the championship and played 32 games.

So both teams won the championship and Kansas players had 8 more games to put up stats

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last year Kansas won the championship and played 40 games.

1976 IU won the championship and played 32 games.

So both teams won the championship and Kansas players had 8 more games to put up stats

I understand that. Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

It's really team vs. individual in regards to the Pros vs Cons.

Taking your Kansas/IU comparison: KU had more games to play to win the tournament (tougher to do as a team) but this fact allowed the players to accumulate more aggregate statistics which helps their overall numbers in the record books.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I understand that. Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

It's really team vs. individual in regards to the Pros vs Cons.

Taking your Kansas/IU comparison: KU had more games to play to win the tournament (tougher to do as a team) but this fact allowed the players to accumulate more aggregate statistics which helps their overall numbers in the record books.

I think KU played 4 more regular season games and if course 2 more tournament games. Also had a conference tournament which they didn't gave back in the day.

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm surprised you grew up in the Cheaney era and would pick Vic as your all-time favorite.  i loved Vic, but just wouldn't consider him anywhere near my all-time favorite for what he did/accomplished at IU.  Alford, Cheaney, Bailey, Henderson, Guyton, Yogi, Evans...

Henderson is my all time favorite for personal reasons.  Cheaney is #1 all time no doubt. Alford a close 2nd, I went to church with his grandma and Sam was a graduate of my Alma mater. Bailey obviously...

The others, beloved by me but all time favorites. Great IU players though. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Despite not adding a jump shot to his game, he has improved in so many other ways.  His shot blocking, passing, rebounding have all improved and he's added the ability to push the ball in transition after a rebound.  He is good for a bad pass or two a game, but he is a net positive playmaker when considering his assist numbers.  He deserves a successful finish for the team so he can rightfully be considered among the all time greats.  I think he should be in that conversation regardless.  In my lifetime of watching the Hoosiers (last 30 years or so) top 5 is probably Cheaney, Henderson, Yogi, TJD, Guyton.  

• Like 3

As a player, he has just about every tool you could imagine, save for a shot outside of 6-8 feet. He is so good around the rim that he defaults to his bread and butter simply because it's so effective. It would be interesting to see him in an offense that isn't so reliant on his productivity. I imagine it would open up his game and allow him to take more 'chances' from further out. He has a nice stroke, as evidenced by his improved free throw shooting. 

If IU were to win either the Big Ten or Conference Tourney Championship, and make it to the second weekend in March, he would have to pass Henderson, Yogi, Guyton and then its splitting hairs with Cheaney as the best of the last 30 years.

A Natty puts him in the top 4 all time.

I took my boys last night and just tried to convey to them how special TJD is and not to take this for granted because players this talented just don’t come around very often - or stay this long. Soak it in. I’ve been watching IUBB for 40+ years and TJD is an easy top 5 guy for me. He would be on talent alone but his unique balance of personality, humility and intensity make him a no brainer 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...