Jump to content

Worst Coach in NCAA D1?


Recommended Posts

I formally nominate for your consideration, Patrick Ewing.  Anyone got a more deserving candidate?  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Looks like Georgetown is going down to American University, whose previous 2 wins were against William and Mary, and NJIT...

 

58 minutes ago, rico said:

giphy.gif

 

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

what-practice.gif.9b308f155465d66a5d9bdec3a543095e.gif

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are currently 11 winless teams in D1,

Louisville, Monmouth, Northeastern, Green Bay, Fairfield, South Carolina State, Central Connecticut State, California, Jackson State, Alabama A&M, and Alabama State, 

The last three are SWAC teams and those programs normally play murderous road schedules in non-conference, so I'll toss them out, which leaves 8.  Louisville and California are the only Power 6 programs, which should result in a little extra embarrassment, but they're not who I'm looking at.  

I'm looking at Will Ryan, head coach of Green Bay. He's in his third year.

First year 8-17

2nd year 5-25 (aren't you supposed to get BETTER once the players have a year in your system?)

This year his losses include:

Indiana State by 27 (The Sycamores haven't beaten anyone by that much since Larry Bird played there)

Georgetown by 34 (If Pat Ewing is getting nominated, and this guy lost too him by 34.....)

Wisconsin (His team gave up 56 points to Bucky.  The Badgers only scored 43 today against a real team.)

Queens by 16 (Who the F is this?)

Utah Valley by 23 (Not surprising with the amount of D1 talent coming out of Utah....never mind) 

The question for Will Ryan is will Ryan survive the year or will Will get sent Packering.  

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Bobby Hurley, Shaka Smart, 

These two names surprise me a bit, although admittedly, I haven't followed either one that closely.  At one point, Shaka Smart was a hot commodity, but I realize he's long since fell off that pedestal.  What I HAVE seen, I wouldn't put them on a Patrick Ewing level of bad though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are currently 11 winless teams in D1,

Louisville, Monmouth, Northeastern, Green Bay, Fairfield, South Carolina State, Central Connecticut State, California, Jackson State, Alabama A&M, and Alabama State, 

The last three are SWAC teams and those programs normally play murderous road schedules in non-conference, so I'll toss them out, which leaves 8.  Louisville and California are the only Power 6 programs, which should result in a little extra embarrassment, but they're not who I'm looking at.  

I'm looking at Will Ryan, head coach of Green Bay. He's in his third year.

First year 8-17

2nd year 5-25 (aren't you supposed to get BETTER once the players have a year in your system?)

This year his losses include:

Indiana State by 27 (The Sycamores haven't beaten anyone by that much since Larry Bird played there)

Georgetown by 34 (If Pat Ewing is getting nominated, and this guy lost too him by 34.....)

Wisconsin (His team gave up 56 points to Bucky.  The Badgers only scored 43 today against a real team.)

Queens by 16 (Who the F is this?)

Utah Valley by 23 (Not surprising with the amount of D1 talent coming out of Utah....never mind) 

The question for Will Ryan is will Ryan survive the year or will Will get sent Packering.

Yeah, that dude's record is terrible, although I'm going to assume he gets much less talent to work with than Ewing does.

Still...he's bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That one yelling at the kid taking the one legged step back shot….had to be McClung. 

There's another uber-talented kid who jumped early without graduating and is bouncing around the G-league.

Shoulda stayed in school and worked on that one-legged step-back while he graduated.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it's amazing.  many of the big name former players have no business being head coach in college.  Patrick Ewing is awful.  Penny is a recruiter, but a horrible coach.  

Agree on everything you've said there.  I remember Chris Mullin being pretty poor as well, although he got St. Johns to the tourney faster than Archie got IU there.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Ewing just isnt a smart person. 

Possibly…I know lots of smart people that would probably do a worse job coaching and visa versa that possibly could do better. Probably not the most pc thing to say but I think we can unobjectionably say he isn’t a good coach and team builder. That I think we can all agree on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Possibly…I know lots of smart people that would probably do a worse job coaching and visa versa that possibly could do better. Probably not the most pc thing to say but I think we can unobjectionably say he isn’t a good coach and team builder. That I think we can all agree on. 

I get what you are saying

I don't give a flying nutsack about political correctness

It's about goddamn time someone stands up and fights against this ridiculous bullshit.

I can't tolerate it anymore

And this is me being nice about it

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I get what you are saying

I don't give a flying nutsack about political correctness

It's about goddamn time someone stands up and fights against this ridiculous bullshit.

I can't tolerate it anymore

And this is me being nice about it

 

Lol…it was a joke..but yeah I get that. My bigger point is how do you know how smart he is? Not sure that is something that can be measured in wins and losses. Clearly isn’t a good college basketball coach. That however doesn’t even mean he is a bad coach altogether. Just he is not a good fit for the job. I’ve yet to hear him say anything or do anything to suggest he is stupid though. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...