UNC Postgame Thread

KDB

Good win no doubt. Following Carolina's recent losing skein and rankings tumble, though, was a must win, IMO. The fact that they were fighting hard due to this bumps up the impressiveness of the win. 

If we can consistently come up with that level of defense, we won't lose much, period. That said, the B1G is looking extremely tough. Like most of the conference as good or better than X/NC level. I'm looking forward to watching it unfold.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Anyone remember the last few seasons when we were freaked out over turnovers? I’m not even sure what they are this year, but I’m not stressing over them like I did under Crean and Miller. 

8 last night 

11 vs Xavier in our first road game

... I would say your eyes are aligning with reality! Plus Top 15 in AdjO backs that up, as well. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

8 last night 

11 vs Xavier in our first road game

... I would say your eyes are aligning with reality! Plus Top 15 in AdjO backs that up, as well. 

I just recall turnover numbers (and FT shooting) as being life or death, but now? Not so much. It’s kind of nice, isn’t it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I just recall turnover numbers (and FT shooting) as being life or death, but now? Not so much. It’s kind of nice, isn’t it?

I feel like it's a different breed of turnover as well. Under Archie (and I think Crean, too) it seemed like at least half our turnovers were just perimeter passes, where, even if the pass went through, our next guy would just be stuck holding the ball with no where to go. Now, our turnovers seem to be threaded needles in the paint or lob passes, where if the pass makes it through we have an easy bucket. 

The announcer last night was referring to bad shots as being like turnovers. I almost think of some turnovers as the flip: as missed shots, where if they go through we have points and if they don't the other team has the ball but in a spot where a run-out is unlikely. It seems like most of our turnovers this year are like that. They're aggressive on our part, not necessarily the defense's part. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I feel like it's a different breed of turnover as well. Under Archie (and I think Crean, too) it seemed like at least half our turnovers were just perimeter passes, where, even if the pass went through, our next guy would just be stuck holding the ball with no where to go. Now, our turnovers seem to be threaded needles in the paint or lob passes, where if the pass makes it through we have an easy bucket. 

The announcer last night was referring to bad shots as being like turnovers. I almost think of some turnovers as the flip: as missed shots, where if they go through we have points and if they don't the other team has the ball but in a spot where a run-out is unlikely. It seems like most of our turnovers this year are like that. They're aggressive on our part, not necessarily the defense's part. 

Yesssssss!!!!!!! Awesome post!

• Like 1

Rewatched the game today, and tried to see stuff other than ball movement and shots.

Saw X on a couple of occassions huddle up with JHS and "coach" him on how running the point. I NEVER saw this side of him last year.

I have a theory...

I think X realizes he has a guy that he CAN coach, with the talent to take over for him. He didn't have that last year.

"we're in good hands" boys!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

A coworker of mine is a huge UNC fan and sent me this article after the game. I particularly appreciated this excerpt about assembly hall, very complementary and pretty cool to read.

“The environment and atmosphere was exactly what the Challenge was supposed to create. Assembly Hall has perfected making Hoosier games the embodiment of a college basketball environment. They're not trying to emulate any professional arenas, and don't even pretend to do so. In the minutes before tipoff, the band took the court when the lights went down, with the band director standing directly above Jones Angell, waving his arms to conduct the fight song on the court. 

Eight minutes into the game, the student section broke into a derogatory chant directed at Hubert Davis. The PA announcer immediately admonished them that continuation of the chant could result in a technical foul against the home team. The cheer ceased immediately and was not heard again.

Afterwards, ushers surrounded the crimson and cream IU logo at center court. Fans cooperatively lined up to take photos at midcourt, with one usher tasked with taking each photo. When the time allotted on the scoreboard clock for photos expired, everyone dutifully left the arena.

It was, quite simply, the kind of place where you want to watch college basketball. There aren't many arenas—or maybe arena is overselling it, maybe it's a gym—like this anymore. 

https://goheels.com/news/2022/12/1/mens-basketball-lucas-a-rough-road.aspx

For all the love Cameron Crazies get I really like this quote from the article  

“Again, a road trip to a jacked-up Indiana was never going to be simple. And the experience will likely benefit the Tar Heels in the weeks to come; they won't play in any ACC arenas more hostile than what they saw at Assembly Hall”

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

Great win. I think IU got a good amount of respect from the announcers.

Sorry, but I disagree on the commentary, esp Bilas. He's in the tank up to his eyeballs for ACC teams, esp Duke and UNC.

Yes he did make some comments about our good play, but the tone in his voice (to me) was "I really don't want to compliment them". And most of his comments are like Boo-Boo bear. Mr Obivious.

24 minutes ago, DWB said:

Sorry, but I disagree on the commentary, esp Bilas. He's in the tank up to his eyeballs for ACC teams, esp Duke and UNC.

Yes he did make some comments about our good play, but the tone in his voice (to me) was "I really don't want to compliment them". And most of his comments are like Boo-Boo bear. Mr Obivious.

I concur with this sentiment. Literally they, Bilas especially,  were making excuses on how North Carolina just wasn't clicking cause Bacot was hurt or Nance was a transfer or they are at IU and it's a hostile crowd. Seriously as if they don't face the Dukies or NC State multiple times a year. As if they aren't used to hostile crowds. Also the announcers were acting as if we weren't dealing with injuries. Nope just TJD was out 2 games ago our pre season all American. Galloway was out until this game. A couple guys have bandaged hands. Nope no injuries in the least. Literally every time they scored a basket you could tell the announcers almost got excited. Also they would go on 3 to 5 minute rants at a time about the NC team and Hubert Davis. They would talk about how NC could do this or this to try and loosen up IUs defense etc. Just fawning over NC. Literally it was a buzz kill to a wonderful game. Also the reffing was atrocious. What was the stat line for free throws before they started fouling us to extend the game? Something like 30 fta to 10fta? I have not seen that at any point in time where the home team was that disproportionately called for fouls. I understand with a much more agressive defense approach it would lead to a few more foul calls but not this much. IU had almost all of our front line with 2 and 3 fouls in the first half. This was actually great to see. Honestly this made the game even more of an awesome win cause we overcame adversity with some of our starters as well as most of our front line racking up the fouls. Our strength which is our front line was almost taken away in the first half and yet we overcame. This is a testament to our depth. We played 8 on 5 and yet still won pretty convincingly. The announcers kept saying this game felt much more out of reach than it was. Well no dip cause the refs were keeping NC in the game from the tip off. Ok sorry rant over. Haha. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I concur with this sentiment. Literally they, Bilas especially,  were making excuses on how North Carolina just wasn't clicking cause Bacot was hurt or Nance was a transfer or they are at IU and it's a hostile crowd. Seriously as if they don't face the Dukies or NC State multiple times a year. As if they aren't used to hostile crowds. Also the announcers were acting as if we weren't dealing with injuries. Nope just TJD was out 2 games ago our pre season all American. Galloway was out until this game. A couple guys have bandaged hands. Nope no injuries in the least. Literally every time they scored a basket you could tell the announcers almost got excited. Also they would go on 3 to 5 minute rants at a time about the NC team and Hubert Davis. They would talk about how NC could do this or this to try and loosen up IUs defense etc. Just fawning over NC. Literally it was a buzz kill to a wonderful game. Also the reffing was atrocious. What was the stat line for free throws before they started fouling us to extend the game? Something like 30 fta to 10fta? I have not seen that at any point in time where the home team was that disproportionately called for fouls. I understand with a much more agressive defense approach it would lead to a few more foul calls but not this much. IU had almost all of our front line with 2 and 3 fouls in the first half. This was actually great to see. Honestly this made the game even more of an awesome win cause we overcame adversity with some of our starters as well as most of our front line racking up the fouls. Our strength which is our front line was almost taken away in the first half and yet we overcame. This is a testament to our depth. We played 8 on 5 and yet still won pretty convincingly. The announcers kept saying this game felt much more out of reach than it was. Well no dip cause the refs were keeping NC in the game from the tip off. Ok sorry rant over. Haha. 

My favorite was when UNC brought in a freshman at garbage time and ESPN kept the camera on him for 30 seconds so Bilas could talk about how great of a shooter he is. No mention of the team that’s actually dominating the game….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

He also started the game saying this is a battle of blue bloods, we have history but not the recent success

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

He also started the game saying this is a battle of blue bloods, we have history but not the recent success

That comment stood out to me.  I imagined some PU or IL type seething when he said it, lol.

One thing about the commentary that I found a bit amusing was the many times Bilas observed how it felt like our lead should be greater, but never delved into why that might be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

That comment stood out to me.  I imagined some PU or IL type seething when he said it, lol.

One thing about the commentary that I found a bit amusing was the many times Bilas observed how it felt like our lead should be greater, but never delved into why that might be.

He mentioned it was because of free throws, he just never really got into the refs being bad.

Which is odd, considering he is usually one of the first announcers to criticize refs, but he didn't notice the team dominating the paint was getting significantly less foul calls....

• Like 2