UNC Postgame Thread

KDB

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Fun game.

I do know the refs sucked and made some bad calls on IU, BUT some of those fouls were legit, careless and need to be cleaned up. 

That’s my only complaint. 

Yeah the foul discrepancy was horrid but we deserved a lot of them. We were very aggressive on D. Something Woodson can teach without compromising a W. 

I'll echo everyone else's comments that if not for Courtney Green, Paul Szelc, and Larry Scirotto that thing was easily a 25+ point win.

JHS out of the gates. TJD all game long. Trey showing how valuable he is....Xavier too. So many weapons. Now we see react to a big win and take it on the road. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It was ridiculous. IU was very aggressive defensively, but I saw very few reaches or slaps. It was mostly good position defense. OTOH, Bacot set a moving pick on the ball screen on nearly every possession and wasn't called once. 

The foul call on Race on the 3 pt shot was an obvious flop. 

UNC was in the bonus with more than 10 minutes left in the first half. IU made the bonus with 9 seconds left. With about 4 minutes left in the game, the FT attempt disparity was something like 27-8. 

That shouldn't happen, especially at AH. 

Thanks for that 27-8 number. Was curious what the disparity was before the 3 idiots figured out they need to catch up for the box score.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It was ridiculous. IU was very aggressive defensively, but I saw very few reaches or slaps. It was mostly good position defense. OTOH, Bacot set a moving pick on the ball screen on nearly every possession and wasn't called once. 

The foul call on Race on the 3 pt shot was an obvious flop. 

UNC was in the bonus with more than 10 minutes left in the first half. IU made the bonus with 9 seconds left. With about 4 minutes left in the game, the FT attempt disparity was something like 27-8. 

That shouldn't happen, especially at AH. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for that 27-8 number. Was curious what the disparity was before the 3 idiots figured out they need to catch up for the box score.

Even Bilas, with his ACC bias hanging out all game, said after XJ got shoved out of bounds on the baseline near the end of the game, "Well, they called the 3rd foul."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I fully admit that I complain about officiating a lot. The officiating has a direct impact on these games. 

With that said, my complaints usually aren't that IU isn't fouling, my big complaint is that it's not being called evenly on both ends. 

We had over 50 paint points last night and dominated inside, yet until UNC was fouling on purpose we hadn't taken a single 2nd half free throw. 

I don't think the game was being called evenly on both ends. 

Yeah this was my issue, it wasn't so much the fouls that were being called on us, it was the fouls not being called on them. Is it a physical game with contact being allowed or not? 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I fully admit that I complain about officiating a lot. The officiating has a direct impact on these games. 

With that said, my complaints usually aren't that IU isn't fouling, my big complaint is that it's not being called evenly on both ends. 

We had over 50 paint points last night and dominated inside, yet until UNC was fouling on purpose we hadn't taken a single 2nd half free throw. 

Like at the end when NC was trying to foul and the refs were slow to catch on so they didn't blow the whistle until our guy was literally shoved out of bounds?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The stories on ESPN just crack me up...It's nothing about how good we were, just how they're "struggling."

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it, but I honestly believe many sportswriters hate us because of RMK...Not that I care...Hate all you want, but give Coach Woodson and the team their due...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

The stories on ESPN just crack me up...It's nothing about how good we were, just how they're "struggling."

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it, but I honestly believe many sportswriters hate us because of RMK...Not that I care...Hate all you want, but give Coach Woodson and the team their due...

I really don't think Bob Knight has anything to do with how ESPN is covering this game. 

I'm as excited as everyone else with last night's result, but on the national level the bigger story really is that UNC went from #1 in the country to losing three straight. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think it might be more that ESPN and the Big Ten don't have a relationship moving forward so we aren't going to get the positive coverage. 

• Like 4

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

We have finally replaced Sheehey with an even more talented all around player.  Just need to start banging threes like Adam Morrison.  

Gosh, I'd hope after last nights performance he could bang at least a solid 7 or 8. I know he's a little goofy looking but...

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I really don't think Bob Knight has anything to do with how ESPN is covering this game. 

I'm as excited as everyone else with last night's result, but on the national level the bigger story really is that UNC went from #1 in the country to losing three straight. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it might be more that ESPN and the Big Ten don't have a relationship moving forward so we aren't going to get the positive coverage. 

Think what you want...It's been going on for some time and it'll continue...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Think what you want...It's been going on for some time and it'll continue...

So you think ESPN, who employed Bob Knight, has a vendetta against Indiana because of Bob Knight? That seems more likely than the fact that they're covering UNC (bigger national brand than us, and they have a financial relationship with) dropping from #1 to probably out of the Top 25 with straight loss?

You're right, think what you want...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

So you think ESPN, who employed Bob Knight, has a vendetta against Indiana because of Bob Knight? That seems more likely than the fact that they're covering UNC (bigger national brand than us, and they have a financial relationship with) dropping from #1 to probably out of the Top 25 with straight loss?

You're right, think what you want...

Yeah, I also know ESPN did a 30 for 30 hatchet job on Knight...Some folks in the press have long memories...

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Even Bilas, with his ACC bias hanging out all game, said after XJ got shoved out of bounds on the baseline near the end of the game, "Well, they called the 3rd foul."

TJD got slammed to the floor and they blew the whistle because of a shot clock problem. 

A little bit later, I think it was X, cleary trying to avoid contact gets a foul a half court because the Carolina guard ran into him. 

About sums it up. 

And I've never seen Davis flop and you know he's not easy to toss around like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Even when they were fouling on purpose, it took until their third attempt before it was actually called. Whereas Geronimo can't even be in the vicinity of the other team without getting whistled.

• Like 4