FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Attorneys for Code, Dawkins and Gatto admitted during opening arguments and throughout the trial that their clients broke several NCAA rules and indeed arranged for payments to be made to the families of high-profile recruits.

But the attorneys also argued that while the defendants knowingly broke NCAA rules, they never believed they were breaking federal laws. The attorneys told the jury that their clients were only trying to help the schools by assisting them in signing talented basketball players and never intended to defraud them, as federal prosecutors alleged.

In fact, their attorneys argued that the payments were often made at the request of the university's coaches.”

Copied from here

15 minutes ago, Inequality said:

“Attorneys for Code, Dawkins and Gatto admitted during opening arguments and throughout the trial that their clients broke several NCAA rules and indeed arranged for payments to be made to the families of high-profile recruits.

But the attorneys also argued that while the defendants knowingly broke NCAA rules, they never believed they were breaking federal laws. The attorneys told the jury that their clients were only trying to help the schools by assisting them in signing talented basketball players and never intended to defraud them, as federal prosecutors alleged.

In fact, their attorneys argued that the payments were often made at the request of the university's coaches.”

Copied from here

And this is where the rubber meets the road.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The wire fraud and wire fraud conspiracy convictions carry potential sentences of 20 years. The judge has discretion and the legal pundits out there think they'll get a few years.

Since it's federal it's based mostly on guidelines determined on the amount of fraud. I've known guys who have stolen $500k get 24 months in a minimum security camp. These guys aren't getting anywhere remotely close to years. Months would be best guess....if not probation/supervised release. The key in sentencing is how many victims, amount of fraud, and past criminal history. If they had a clean record before this...I could see maybe a few months.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know -- but my thinking, from a lawsuit/prosecution strategy standpoint, is this prosecution had its own objectives, and they do not coincide with the prosecution of coaching staff personnel. What was said, the evidence, etc., in this prosecution is not only irrelevant from a legal standpoint to the subesquent prosecutions, it's all inadmissible. I see no reason to think they will employ an identical theory. The prosecutions are different. We're talking school staff alleged to be directly involved in illegal behavior. There's just no reason to think the prosecution would go out of its way to paint the schools as the victims of their own agents' actions.

Yeah, I understand it’s a different set of facts, which will obviously lead to a somewhat different strategy.  I guess what I’m getting at is, as I understand the charges, if the universities are not the victims, then there is no crime.  Under the federal wire fraud statute, there has to be a target of the “scheme or artifice to defraud.”  If that’s not the universities themselves, who else would it be?

20 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Should have seen this coming.

I don't know how that sanctimonious fleabag looks himself in the mirror each day.

You can insert Pitino, Calipari, Self, Roy Williams or Krzyzewski in for "sanctimonious fleabag".  They all fit at this point.

54 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

Screenshot_20181025-204424.png

Rick Stansbury was head coach of Mississippi State at the time.  Rick Stansbury is now head coach of Western Kentucky.  Western Kentucky has landed a 5* recruit each of the last two years.  There are some dots that can be connected here.

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am just different than most on here because I would rather never win another championship if it meant we had to cheat to win

So would rather not break these arbitrary rarely enforced NCAA rules than win a championship....yea I don’t believe that one bit. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

The NCAA doesn’t care about the rules. So is that really cheating?  At this point the rules of amateurism are really just marketing for the people that enjoy college basketball for the purity of it

One has to ask......Has CBB ever been pure?

Talk about the first BB cheater, Naismith who was a Canadian, and enrolled at the University of Colorado..... first played NINE men on his team.  LOL 

5 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I heard that the Georgia Peach basket association was major player in getting certain players to play for that cheater Naismith.

Archived