Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Looking at the list reminds you how ridiculous the difference between the divisions is.  The west is like the JV division.  It is crazy that the league continues to go with it that way.  

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Looking at the list reminds you how ridiculous the difference between the divisions is.  The west is like the JV division.  It is crazy that the league continues to go with it that way.  

Yeah, it has been talked about here and on other boards.  Heck, the OSU, MSU, UM, and PSU complain about it more than we do!

• Like 1

The east division is absolutely brutal when trying to build a program.  We should swap with Purdue and let them deal with it.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The east division is absolutely brutal when trying to build a program.  We should swap with Purdue and let them deal with it.

Or the Big Ten could just go North-South with the North being Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Northwestern and the South being Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers. But it'll never happen because OSU and Michigan call the shots in this league and don't want to potentially play on back to back weeks.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Or the Big Ten could just go North-South with the North being Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Northwestern and the South being Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers. But it'll never happen because OSU and Michigan call the shots in this league and don't want to potentially play on back to back weeks.

I bet the way it is going....Michigan would be all for that!!!!!

My brain says IU likely finishes 5th to last in the East.My gut says that last year there was a lot of pressure on them to breakthrough and not enough experience at key positions to deliver.Although they lose a ot they have a lot of upperclassmen. I could envision an all around effort but with a breakout Oline and a mobile QB this team can keep fresher legs on the field late that might make up for what we lost in the end.I think we bend more on things such as opponent average YPC but the DBs and Husky bend not break as often.Ball is severely underrated.The big plays bit after Ball had an all-B1G freshman year in 2016.2016 was a talented defensive class for  the conference so in perspective and given the way I was losing close it was a big setback not having him for the most part..

If IU has a half way solid pass rush to go with all of the above watch out.They could sneak up on the contenders in the early portion of B1G play if they gel early and the offense clicks.But my prediction for now  is likely 5th to 6th with 4-7 wins.Bowl and Bucket will probably be  on the line again ,except in Bloomington.Overall I expect a wobbly statt to the season and a strong finish as the players stepping in to address key losses get accustomed to their roles.

Edited by jblaz13

I think 2 things will be huge this year compared to last year.

Our new strength and conditioning program is going to pay massive dividends.  Sounds like an immense upgrade compared to what we had before and should help keep us fresh later in games.  It should help with the strength of our offensive line too.  I also remember seeing that some of Ballou's specialties are in speed and injury prevention.

Having another year with a head coach who cares about special teams should be a big help.  Wilson couldn't care less about special teams, and it will take some time to fully get past that.  Overall they weren't bad last year except for a couple games where they were disastrous (damn you Maryland!).  We now have Inge as a Special Teams Coordinator, so that area should only improve.  I wasn't sure if we should expect a drop off with Oakes graduating, but check out this video of our new kicker.  Even without a rush, that's pretty impressive.

https://twitter.com/chuck_campbell3/status/986341552892141569

Edited by Leathernecks
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

One good thing from that article is that the pee yew smellermakers will only return 3 of their top TEN Tacklers from last season !!! I'm loving it !!!!

Our defense will take a hit but I think we’ll be better on offense.