2021 Recruiting Hub

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

True or false: lander will be better in 2021-22 after competing against big ten competition instead of high school competition.

Who cares which class he wound up in.  This year does not even count against his eligibility.

We really missed on kauffman... Otherwise we have landed almost everyone we wanted from Indiana the last few years.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Reclassifying means he changed his class so he was no longer a 2021 recruit. How can he possibly be a 2021 recruit when he's playing college in 2020?

What if it was the reversed and instead of being a very good student who was able to graduate a year early he was a poor student so went to prep evil and reclassified to 2022? Should you still try to count him as a 2021 recruit?

What if he skipped a year while in elementary  or middle school instead of skipping his senior year of HS? Is he still a 2021 recruit instead of 2020?

It's where the player finishes that determines which class he is considered to be a part of, nor where he starts.

After reclassifying he was still the top recruit from Indiana in 2020.

He was still a 2021 recruit. He decided to enroll early, but you can’t say IU whiffed on the state when they got the best player from the class - in the state. He happened to come on campus early - but he’s part of the class.  

Also, had IU not landed Lander, People like you would be saying how much they whiffed on guys.   Can’t have it both ways.  IU got the best recruit in the 21 class.  Bottom line.  

While in the context of semantics, he ended up enrolling early from the 2021 class.

In the context of IU whiffed on in-state players in 2021, it’s just factually incorrect. 

Edited by Bustout

20 minutes ago, Bustout said:

He was still a 2021 recruit. He decided to enroll early, but you can’t say IU whiffed on the state when they got the best player from the class - in the state. He happened to come on campus early - but he’s part of the class.  

Also, had IU not landed Lander, People like you would be saying how much they whiffed on guys.   Can’t have it both ways.  IU got the best recruit in the 21 class.  Bottom line.  

If he had still reclassified but committed to another school I would've talked about how we missed on him last year. Since he was a 2020 recruit and all. But IU did land him and it made their recruiting class of 2020 even better. 

Maybe we should go ahead and award Lander as the 2021 Mr Basketball.

But keep telling yourself whatever you need to to keep from having to face the reality that the 2021 recruiting class has been disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

False.

The best player who graduated in 2020 after reclassifying is on IU's roster.

He was a 2020 recruit. There are no 2021 Indiana recruits on IU's roster.

Point is, why are you simply re-hashing the point Purdue beat us out on a recruit this year when we’ve dominated them on in-state recruiting the last three years? Looks like you’re just searching for something to complain about. Duncomb > Furst. We missed on Kauffman. One kid we really wanted that Purdue got in 4 years. 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Point is, why are you simply re-hashing the point Purdue beat us out on a recruit this year when we’ve dominated them on in-state recruiting the last three years? Looks like you’re just searching for something to complain about. Duncomb > Furst. We missed on Kauffman. One kid we really wanted that Purdue got in 4 years. 

No, you said "Losing out to Purdue on the best Indiana recruits? Since when? Not last year or the year before. " The answer to that is this year. That's the point. Recognizing that doesn't change or diminish the fact that IU beat them in recruiting the state the last 3 years.

You guys make it seem that acknowledging the reality that not everything IU is going amazingly great is the same as saying everything IU is absolutely awful. It's not and there is a lot of room between extremes. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend IU has a better recruiting class than Purdue this year. Do so if it makes you feel better. 

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

No, you said "Losing out to Purdue on the best Indiana recruits? Since when? Not last year or the year before. " The answer to that is this year. That's the point. Recognizing that doesn't change or diminish the fact that IU beat them in recruiting the state the last 3 years.

You guys make it seem that acknowledging the reality that not everything IU is going amazingly great is the same as saying everything IU is absolutely awful. It's not and there is a lot of room between extremes. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend IU has a better recruiting class than Purdue this year. Do so if it makes you feel better. 

Still missing the point bc that’s not what was claimed. Carry on. Or go over to the postgame thread and complain where it’s actually warranted. 

20 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Lander is from Indiana but reclassified to 2020. At that point he was no longer a 2021 recruit, otherwise he'd still be in HS instead of playing for IU this year. That's how reclassifying works.

True or false: IU has one HS senior committed to play for IU next year.

True or false: That player is not Lander and is also not from Indiana.

True or false: IU has 0 current Indiana seniors committed to play for IU next year.

True or false: Purdue has commitments from Kaufman and Furst.

True or false: Kaufman and Furst are the highest ranked current Indiana HS seniors.

Just because they are high rated doesn’t mean they are worth getting. Furst got absolutely dominated by Duncomb. You really think that Furst is that good? If he is #2 ranked Indiana high school player then it’s a complete down year.

16 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

If he had still reclassified but committed to another school I would've talked about how we missed on him last year. Since he was a 2020 recruit and all. But IU did land him and it made their recruiting class of 2020 even better. 

But keep telling yourself whatever you need to to keep from having to face the reality that the 2021 recruiting class has been disappointing.

To me Kaufman is the only one in Indiana that we lost out on. We ended up recruiting nobody else in Indiana besides him. We stopped on Furst and Wesley. Isn’t the quote get old and stay old? I’d rather have a 22 year old player with two years of eligibility who has had success in the ACC and now has motivation to make his dad proud compared to a freshman that has to adjust to being in college for the first 2 years potentially before he makes an impact. I understand Lander is in the 2020 class because he reclassified but we didn’t recruit his position in 2021 because he reclassified early so there wasn’t a need for it. We also lost a coach right in the middle of recruiting that hurt us in recruiting some out of state players and hunter didn’t have time to make a difference on 2021 class. We can get 2 more grad transfers after we see our needs because trust me Kids will transfer since they are guaranteed to be able to play immediately without a waiver. So just wait to see what transfers we get before judging if the class was a fail. The problem with IU fans is they want results Now Now Now. Recruiting is Hard y’all. Also we want shooters and need shooters yet the top guys in Indiana are not shooters. It can’t go both ways to say recruit Indiana high school players first but we have to get shooters. The “shooters” in the class of 2021 didn’t even get power 5 offers. If Archie took Luke Brown who went to Stetson people would complain he is now pulling a Crean and then it wouldn’t leave open spots for guys like Stewart to come in late. Also. There is so much behind the scenes stuff that none of us even know about. Corrupt things still happen, kids get in trouble and it’s never released to the public, kids change their mind, parents influence the decision. I guarantee none of us could do better and we would all be fired by now. Also don’t y’all realize if we fire our coach that we start all over again. Next year will be the first year that Archie has HIS guys only and that’s assuming Durham doesn’t stay. Archie in year 5 and 6 will be better than whatever coach is here in year 1 and 2 and then y’all will complain again for wanting a coach after year 4 if that player doesn’t have success. Can you imagine if Villanova gave up on Jay Wright or Duke gave up on Coach K after 4 years? Or Virginia gave up on Tony Bennett after they lost to a 16 seed. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, FKIM01 said:

It's depressing because the people posting here are overly pessimistic. I do believe IU is a lot closer to winning the Big Ten than they were five years ago.  Don't see it happening this year, but the gap has been closed a lot since Archie got here.  If that trend continues, it won't be long.

IU won the Big Ten 5 years ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

The 2021 class may be disappointing, but it’s not because they missed out on TK.  Stewart, Logan and if they add another transfer will be solid.  And they already have the best kid from that class on campus.    It’s not like IU lost lebron and Jordan to Purdue. 

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Just because they are high rated doesn’t mean they are worth getting. Furst got absolutely dominated by Duncomb. You really think that Furst is that good? If he is #2 ranked Indiana high school player then it’s a complete down year.

I know I’m biased but Furst is that good IMO. One bad game against Duncomb doesn’t change that. UVA wanted both Furst and Kaufman.  2021 class for the state is pretty solid. 2022 looks to be a bit worse. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know I’m biased but Furst is that good IMO. One bad game against Duncomb doesn’t change that. UVA wanted both Furst and Kaufman.  2021 class for the state is pretty solid. 2022 looks to be a bit worse. 

You guys also landed Ivey this past year which I think will be pretty good and Newman the year before. Outside of Trayce and Romeo it can be argued you have cleaned up the best in state talent. Hard to say at this point those arguing for Archie because the jury is still out. Is Newman, Ivey, Furst, Kaufman better than Trayce, Romeo, Armaan, Galloway, Leal, Lander, Anderson, and Phinisee...time will tell. We may have more but they may not be better.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Can you imagine if Villanova gave up on Jay Wright or Duke gave up on Coach K after 4 years? Or Virginia gave up on Tony Bennett after they lost to a 16 seed. 

Give up on them???

That would indeed have been surprising because Wright took Nova to the sweet 16 in year 4 and in year 4 coach K finished 3rd in the ACC and made it to the second round. And imagine if “UVA gave up on Tony Bennett after they lost to a 16 seed”? Come on...in the previous 4 years they won at least 1 tourney game, went to a sweet sixteen, went to an elite 8 another, they were first in the ACC a few times and you are comparing Bennett’s result with our last two years of 9th and 10th conference finishes?

Archie will be in decent shape if he comes close to matching those guys  by finishing in the top 5 or so in the BT this year and wins at least one tourney game.  I’m skeptical but hope that happens.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2

My opinion is the more stars, the better the athletes. The better the athletes, the easier it is to win. The easier it is to win, the more wins, the better the program looks.. The better the program looks, the better the coaching staff looks. All this becomes more appealing to future recruits. It’s a cycle.

I know this seasons Kentucky will be brought up. That is an exception. They are normally a top 20 team and easily in the tournament. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

My opinion is the more stars, the better the athletes. The better the athletes, the easier it is to win. The easier it is to win, the more wins, the better the program looks.. The better the program looks, the better the coaching staff looks. All this becomes more appealing to future recruits. It’s a cycle.

I know this seasons Kentucky will be brought up. That is an exception. They are normally a top 20 team and easily in the tournament. 

Instead of athletes I would put basketball player.

44 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I don't see it starting with more stars though. First you have to win to attract the high profile recruits. Pick guys that fit your system, coach them up and hopefully you win a lot of games. Whiffing on 4 and 5 star recruits and leaving scholarships open doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Put together a complete roster and go compete. If you win the recruits will come. If not then it'll be time to look for another coach. To me it's starting to look like Dakich was right that Archie is "just a guy". I know the numbers all point to improvement every year but finishing near the bottom of the conference yet again shouldn't be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if a change was made after next season if there isn't significant improvement.

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Instead of athletes I would put basketball player.

I agree with this but almost every good team has at least a couple of great athletes to go with great basketball players. Then the great teams have 1-3 guys that are a combination of athlete, skill, and BB IQ. 

• 3 months later...