Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

First time in Purdue history. They might start understanding the concept of paying $ and dealing with the backlash. Top 15 money shouldn't blow a 24 point lead. Again. So Purdue.

Difficult start for sure. Hell, we beat Virginia in an off year previously.  Not a great way to represent the league. Disappointing for a team and fanbase that has set expectations so high.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

First time in Purdue history. They might start understanding the concept of paying $ and dealing with the backlash. Top 15 money shouldn't blow a 24 point lead. Again. So Purdue.

Not that it makes a huge difference but they never had a 24 point lead. 17 was the max. 

Again, possibly overpaying for Brohm was an infinitely better option than letting him walk to save a few million a year. For the first time in my life, Purdue athletics made a legit commitment to their football program. Could it come back to bite them? Of course. But at least they’re going for it. 

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How high do you think our expectations are?

Your expectations are your own.  Feel free to offer a season prediction if you wish. The only objective measure is what you pay your coach.  Fan expectations is subjective, so hearing people speak of winning the West, although possible, seems gaudy based on today.  

26 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Your expectations are your own.  Feel free to offer a season prediction if you wish. The only objective measure is what you pay your coach.  Fan expectations is subjective, so hearing people speak of winning the West, although possible, seems gaudy based on today.  

I thought going into the year we’d win between 6-8 games. Tough conference road games at Wisconsin, Iowa, NW, and Penn State won’t be easy. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I thought going into the year we’d win between 6-8 games. Tough conference road games at Wisconsin, Iowa, NW, and Penn State won’t be easy. 

Is that what most Boiler fans are expecting?  I feel like we're probably in a similar boat for expectations for our two teams.

Think Sindelar will keep the job or think he'll lose it due to his interception issue?

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Is that what most Boiler fans are expecting?  I feel like we're probably in a similar boat for expectations for our two teams.

Think Sindelar will keep the job or think he'll lose it due to his interception issue?

I think most are yeah. A lot of freshmen are going to play significant minutes and there will be some growing pains for sure. 

Good question re Sindelar. Honestly it’s TBD. When he has a clean pocket, the guy can be really good. A lot of his mistakes come when he is under pressure or when he throws off his back foot when the pocket starts to collapse. I think a lot of it depends on how well the o-line holds up. But his backup is a RS freshman who’s never taken a snap so that’d be interesting. This is the first year in the Brohm era where he doesn’t have the luxury to turn to either Blough or Sindelar if the other wasn’t performing. 

If I’m betting, I’d guess he keeps the job. 

8 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I think it's extremely difficult to project ANYTHING about nearly any team from the first game of the season.  In 2013 IU beat ISU 73-35 in the opening game and failed to make a bowl.  Last year Purdue lost the first three and still made a bowl.

Whether it's IU winning a closer than comfortable one against Ball State, Purdue giving up a big lead to Nevada, or Penn State or Maryland blowing out their opponent, I'm not putting too much stock into the results this week.

Good comment, and puts one opening game into proper perspective.I agree. Everyone still has almost all of their main team goals on the table to play for in the B1G.Everyone has things to fix or yet to be tested to prove.

I would like to make note a possible consequence did take place this weekend.Should Northwestern or Purdue recover and somehow still win the B1G West this season- either would be one Indy upset over the B1G East winner away from the College Football Playoffs being pretty much out of the picture for the B1G yet again..

As of now they're the least mathematically possible B1G teams for consideration since it will likely require an unbeaten team , especially if the representative for the conference were to come out the West..Lol Being sonewhat sarcastic the formula is pretty clear.B1G East path to the Playoff is lose no later than the opener...B1G West.path is be perfect all season.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Doubting the sec is pretty well pointless. 

No doubt Georgia and Bama are elite....but the middle part of the conference and bottom (just like every other conference) isn't good. SEC and Media hype machine has 3-4 of those teams vastly overrated. Not only in rankings,etc....but in name. Best things some of those teams have going for them is traditions and tailgating.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No doubt Georgia and Bama are elite....but the middle part of the conference and bottom (just like every other conference) isn't good. SEC and Media hype machine has 3-4 of those teams vastly overrated. Not only in rankings,etc....but in name. Best things some of those teams have going for them is traditions and tailgating.

Who are these teams? 

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who are these teams? 

Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy, Ole Miss, South Carolina...historically Kentucky. Sure each of the one's listed have had times of success, bowl wins, etc....but when people hear the names they instantly think of New Year Bowl participants instead of 3-9 teams.  

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy, Ole Miss, South Carolina...historically Kentucky. Sure each of the one's listed have had times of success, bowl wins, etc....but when people hear the names they instantly think of New Year Bowl participants instead of 3-9 teams.  

Well Tennessee outside of the last 10 years has as rich of history as anyone. Much like our basketball..expect they've actually been way better the last 25 years in comparison. Vandy? No. No one has expectations for them.

Arkansas, South Carolina, UK. these aren't teams in the middle of the SEC. They're at the bottom and significantly better than any other conferences bottom. 

Bama, GA, LSU, UF, Miss St, Tex AM, Auburn no conference has a top 7 like that. 

Vandy is the only weak team. Tennessee (hopefully back at the top soon), Ole Miss, Missouri make up the middle. 

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well Tennessee outside of the last 10 years has as rich of history as anyone. Much like our basketball..expect they've actually been way better the last 25 years in comparison. Vandy? No. No one has expectations for them.

Arkansas, South Carolina, UK. these aren't teams in the middle of the SEC. They're at the bottom and significantly better than any other conferences bottom. 

Bama, GA, LSU, UF, Miss St, Tex AM, Auburn no conference has a top 7 like that. 

Vandy is the only weak team. Tennessee (hopefully back at the top soon), Ole Miss, Missouri make up the middle. 

OSU, UM, PSU, WIS, MSU, Iowa, NEB

I think the SEC and Big Ten are pretty close top to bottom.  Last year some of the bottom SEC teams did much better, but top to bottom I think they're pretty similar.  For instance, take IU or Maryland and put them in the ACC or Pac 12, and they're 8 win teams all day.

Alabama and Clemson are their own category over the last 5 years or so.  So is Rutgers...

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think the SEC and Big Ten are pretty close top to bottom.  Last year some of the bottom SEC teams did much better, but top to bottom I think they're pretty similar.  For instance, take IU or Maryland and put them in the ACC or Pac 12, and they're 8 win teams all day.

Alabama and Clemson are their own category over the last 5 years or so.  So is Rutgers...

Bama vs OSU... Bama

GA vs UM... GA

LSU vs PSU... wash

UF vs Wisconsin.. UF

Auburn vs MSU... Aub

Tex AM vs Iowa.. wash

Miss St vs Neb.. maybe Neb? 

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

As far as IU and Maryland being in those two conferences.. yes I agree wholeheartedly. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bama vs OSU... Bama

GA vs UM... GA

LSU vs PSU... wash

UF vs Wisconsin.. UF

Auburn vs MSU... Aub

Tex AM vs Iowa.. wash

Miss St vs Neb.. maybe Neb? 

Trust me I'm not a Big 10 honk at all. I cheer for IU and have a little conference pride I guess....but the SEC is rightfully on a pedestal....but the bottom of the league I believe gets far more credit than it deserves. To me the Iowa/Wiscy/Sparty programs don't get enough credit for sustained success at a 9/10 win level.  In the last decade Florida has two 4 win seasons and 2 7 win seasons. Just saying I feel like the SEC gets more than enough credit...and some of the Big 10 programs don't. 

And again...this is coming from a guy who isn't flying the conference flag each week. The 7 teams I mentioned aren't significantly better than say our worst 7. Considering IU and Purdue would probably share (along with Illinois) in that title over the last decade.

In my opinion the SEC gets a huge lift from Alabama, who - along with Clemson - are in a league of their own.  Take Alabama out of the SEC, and the perception goes down substantially.  I think the SEC and Big Ten are very equal top to bottom otherwise.

The SEC also gets a big lift in perception from ESPN.

Archived