College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

No different than us scheduling EIU. Actually, EIU is a step down. Bowling Green is at least an FBS program.

I’m against all of them...I just said I bash Alabama for it all the time. I think a playoff caliber team should play a strong OOC schedule...not gimmies no matter who they are. I mean Georgia played Murray State...that’s just wrong imo. A team like IU who I get it...but only D1 games should count to bowl eligibility and if you want to play in the playoffs...I think your schedule should live up to your status. If I’m SEC commissioner I have a list of approved conferences you can play....not these lower level teams. It’s bad football honestly.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m against all of them...I just said I bash Alabama for it all the time. I think a playoff caliber team should play a strong OOC schedule...not gimmies no matter who they are. I mean Georgia played Murray State...that’s just wrong imo. A team like IU who I get it...but only D1 games should count to bowl eligibility and if you want to play in the playoffs...I think your schedule should live up to your status. If I’m SEC commissioner I have a list of approved conferences you can play....not these lower level teams. It’s bad football honestly.

Meh, I don't like how 'Bama schedules either.  But UGA plays Georgia Tech every year and South Carolina plays Clemson.  And don't forget UGA played ND this year.  Don't pick on the Irish schedule for having a "chippy" or two.  Their schedule is formidable.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, I don't like how 'Bama schedules either.  But UGA plays Georgia Tech every year and South Carolina plays Clemson.  And don't forget UGA played ND this year.  Don't pick on the Irish schedule for having a "chippy" or two.  Their schedule is formidable.

Oh it’s no different than any other teams...I just hate it. Bad for tv, doesn’t help the players, bad for season ticket holders. I don’t mean to single anyone out...they all do it...but I still hate it.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh it’s no different than any other teams...I just hate it. Bad for tv, doesn’t help the players, bad for season ticket holders. I don’t mean to single anyone out...they all do it...but I still hate it.

Have you really looked at ND's schedule?  Then compare it with teams from the B1G.

Actually, if any team gets a pass from me regarding OOC scheduling, it's Alabama.  2016, they had two games in total that wasn't either a Top 25 ranked team (at the time) or a bowl team: Ranked: #20 Southern Cal, #19 Ole Miss, #16 Arkansas, #9 Tennessee, #6 Texas A&M, #15 LSU, #16 Auburn and Bowl: Western Kentucky, Kentucky, Mississippi State.  10 out of 12 regular season games would have been halfway competitive.  Yes, part of it is being in the SEC, but that schedule is murder.  I won't hold it against them if they want two gimmies thrown in. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, if any team gets a pass from me regarding OOC scheduling, it's Alabama.  2016, they had two games in total that wasn't either a Top 25 ranked team (at the time) or a bowl team: Ranked: #20 Southern Cal, #19 Ole Miss, #16 Arkansas, #9 Tennessee, #6 Texas A&M, #15 LSU, #16 Auburn and Bowl: Western Kentucky, Kentucky, Mississippi State.  10 out of 12 regular season games would have been halfway competitive.  Yes, part of it is being in the SEC, but that schedule is murder.  I won't hold it against them if they want two gimmies thrown in. 

I understand however the problem with 'Bama is that is they play a "quality"  OOC opponent they want it on a neutral field.  I ain't even gonna bring up weather.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Have you really looked at ND's schedule?  Then compare it with teams from the B1G.

The difference being that ND is not part of a conference. No playing the same teams year in and year out where you can learn a coach’s tendencies, systems, etc. 

Imo, familiarity of opponents can make it much more difficult over the course of several seasons 

2 hours ago, rico said:

I understand however the problem with 'Bama is that is they play a "quality"  OOC opponent they want it on a neutral field.  I ain't even gonna bring up weather.

They are the Kentucky of college football. They don’t play home and home. They are beyond that. 

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

When it’s just a couple that is one thing...Duke, New Mexico St, Southern Mississippi, and W. Carolina this year...yeah give me a break! That’s more often then the other. Anyways, no matter Im not a home fan paying for crap blow outs half the year. 

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Keep in mind, they only play 8 conference games.  Their 9th would be against a team from the east, occasionally Georgia or Florida.

They also tend to put that gimme non-conference game the week before rivalry week, the second to last weekend of the year. It's like having a late season bye week to rest players. This benefits them greatly for the conference championship, and also the playoff by not having to play starters that are banged up.

And don't get me started on the ESPN inflation of SEC rankings.  Watch what will happen to Wisky or Ohio State when they lose, compared to over ranked Auburn or Florida.

Bama has 4 nonconference games this year, and their BEST is Duke on a neutral field. Think about that for a minute the next time you hear their status is unquestionable. Embarrassing. 

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@Hoosierinbham don’t they only play 8 conference games? They have 4 non-conference. Duke, New Mexico st, southern Miss, and W Carolina....yeah that’s a gauntlet for sure for a perennial NC caliber team...if I was a Alabama alum I would feel ripped off to pay for those home tickets...game is over 1 qtr in.

You are correct.  Need to edit that.  All the Bamaflage down here has distracted me.  As I've mentioned before,  many season ticket holders are NOT happy with Saban's scheduling. People are sick of wasting time and resources to go watch crap games. The Duke game in Atlanta was a joke and not well attended. 

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

now you are just insulting the appalachian states and troy states of the world

32 minutes ago, coachv said:

i think they were better when dakich was their coach

I didn’t know he coached football...maybe that is why he sucked as a basketball coach!

29 minutes ago, coachv said:

now you are just insulting the appalachian states and troy states of the world

And your point is?

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The difference being that ND is not part of a conference. No playing the same teams year in and year out where you can learn a coach’s tendencies, systems, etc. 

Imo, familiarity of opponents can make it much more difficult over the course of several seasons 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Notre Dame is tied to the ACC...but regardless how many teams would have @Georgia, @Michigan, and @Stanford in the same year?  

Archived