College Football (Not Big Ten)

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe I dont know where to look to find the correct info or where to find the info supporting how crappy Notre Dame's schedule is but what I did find showed.  

Auburn #1 SOS

Notre Dame #7

Bama #10

Clemson #25

But, but, but the Irish play nobody...

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, rico said:

They never have and they never will.. haters gonna hate. 

I am having trouble figuring out how to utilize my reversible jacket this weekend but thankfully ND game is 730 so I will have plenty of time to support IU proudly after the win before turning in inside out for the ND game

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah...I root for the Irish every week. They are an Indiana team so why would I not. Grew up watching them on tv and IU wasn't. I'd love to be able to root for us that way and super thrilled in our football team this year.

All I'm saying about ND is they don't have a definitive win this year. For that matter though neither does Clemson. I think people get upset because they get to cherry pick their schedule and they don't have to play a conference championship game etc. They have a point with that last one but they had on paper a very very good schedule. We will see how it plays out...it's going to be hard to get them in with the Georgia loss now. No matter where they go hopefully they win their bowl game. They have played well in the past several bowl games and I think that is going to start to play in the minds of people to.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I root for the Irish every week. They are an Indiana team so why would I not. Grew up watching them on tv and IU wasn't. I'd love to be able to root for us that way and super thrilled in our football team this year.

All I'm saying about ND is they don't have a definitive win this year. For that matter though neither does Clemson. I think people get upset because they get to cherry pick their schedule and they don't have to play a conference championship game etc. They have a point with that last one but they had on paper a very very good schedule. We will see how it plays out...it's going to be hard to get them in with the Georgia loss now. No matter where they go hopefully they win their bowl game. They have played well in the past several bowl games and I think that is going to start to play in the minds of people to.

Just who in the hell is Bama's definitive win against thus far?  

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Their last definitive win was in the Spring scrimmage when the Crimson beat the White

Here is a tough pill to swallow for some...thus far ND has played more ranked teams than 'Bama.  2-1 one Irish.  I suspect, barring a miracle, come the end of the regular season the Tide will have played exactly 2 ranked teams that are in the poll leading into the conference championship week-end.  The mighty Crimson Tide will be riding the coat tails of having faced LSU and Auburn.  But don't worry even if they lose one of those two games they will get in because of the SEC's superiority.  Oh wait, Bama's non-con schedule will get them in.  

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's a lot easier for some people to repeat narratives than to actually think and look at numbers that say otherwise.

Understood.  Let's take a look at 2020...

Navy Football Schedule vs Navy MidshipmenAviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Sep. 5
  OFF    
Saturday
Sep. 12
Arkansas Football Schedule Arkansas RazorbacksNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Sep. 19
Western Michigan Football Schedule Western Michigan BroncosNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Sep. 26
Wake Forest Football Schedule vs Wake Forest Demon DeaconsBank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Oct. 3
Wisconsin Football Schedule vs Wisconsin BadgersLambeau Field, Green Bay, WI Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Oct. 10
Stanford Football Schedule Stanford CardinalNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Oct. 17
Pitt Football Schedule at Pitt PanthersHeinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Oct. 24
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 31
Duke Football Schedule Duke Blue DevilsNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 7
Clemson Football Schedule Clemson TigersNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 14
Georgia Tech Football Schedule at Georgia Tech Yellow JacketsMercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Nov. 21
Louisville Football Schedule Louisville CardinalsNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 28
USC Football Schedule at USC TrojansLA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA Time TBA ETTV TBA

5 hours ago, rico said:

Just who in the hell is Bama's definitive win against thus far?  

Oh no doubt. I'm counting the fact they will have faced Auburn and LSU and the fact they will have a game against a likely top 10 team in the East as well (Florida/Georgia). Right now it's just Texas A&M which is about equal to ND beating USC. I'm afraid ND won't have anymore opportunities for a big win this year because of Michigan falling off. I don't know if Bama gets in if they lose to LSU. LSU has wins against Florida and Texas and then would likely go to the SEC championship if they beat Bama. I think a worse scenario is Bama beating them but losing to Auburn...and LSU getting left out...but having multiple top wins. I think it's pretty likely this year only 1 comes from SEC unless Clemson loses because I think a 1 loss B1G school and 1 loss Oklahoma would still make it in.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Understood.  Let's take a look at 2020...

Navy Football Schedule vs Navy MidshipmenAviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Sep. 5
  OFF    
Saturday
Sep. 12
Arkansas Football Schedule Arkansas RazorbacksNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Sep. 19
Western Michigan Football Schedule Western Michigan BroncosNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Sep. 26
Wake Forest Football Schedule vs Wake Forest Demon DeaconsBank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Oct. 3
Wisconsin Football Schedule vs Wisconsin BadgersLambeau Field, Green Bay, WI Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Oct. 10
Stanford Football Schedule Stanford CardinalNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Oct. 17
Pitt Football Schedule at Pitt PanthersHeinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Oct. 24
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 31
Duke Football Schedule Duke Blue DevilsNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 7
Clemson Football Schedule Clemson TigersNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 14
Georgia Tech Football Schedule at Georgia Tech Yellow JacketsMercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA Time TBA ETTV TBA  
Saturday
Nov. 21
Louisville Football Schedule Louisville CardinalsNotre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN Time TBA ETNBC  
Saturday
Nov. 28
USC Football Schedule at USC TrojansLA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA Time TBA ETTV TBA

On paper that's a murderous schedule for sure. Pitt always is tough team. Clemson obviously huge. Wisconsin makes up for no Michigan. Stanford should bounce back. The one thing I will point out is they have only 1 true road game. 5/6 are at NFL stadiums that will likely split the gate and not be at a true 100% away crowd. But again...if they win them all but lose to Clemson...who is probably the only top 10 team on there...is that going to get them past a 1 loss power 5 conference winner. Unsure. ND will likely have to win out.

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt. I'm counting the fact they will have faced Auburn and LSU and the fact they will have a game against a likely top 10 team in the East as well (Florida/Georgia). Right now it's just Texas A&M which is about equal to ND beating USC. I'm afraid ND won't have anymore opportunities for a big win this year because of Michigan falling off. I don't know if Bama gets in if they lose to LSU. LSU has wins against Florida and Texas and then would likely go to the SEC championship if they beat Bama. I think a worse scenario is Bama beating them but losing to Auburn...and LSU getting left out...but having multiple top wins. I think it's pretty likely this year only 1 comes from SEC unless Clemson loses because I think a 1 loss B1G school and 1 loss Oklahoma would still make it in.

Ya see, you are looking into the future.  Not what has happened so far.  'Bama has played no one.  Their schedule thus far sucks.  Their non con sucks...but we come back to LSU and Auburn, just like a SEC fan, 'Bama fan, and ESPN always do.  Now you are ragging on Michigan on ND's schedule?  Just who in the hell has Michigan got beat by?  

Haven't had time to check this since this morning, but here are my thoughts to add.

• The strength of schedule rankings from earlier were not from a good site for SOS rankings.  Teamrankings.com is amazing for "box score" stats.  Yards per game, points per play, plays per game, etc.  Anything you can get and manipulate from a box score, they have it.  They are not a good site for their "analytics."  The fact that they have Alabama with the 10th hardest schedule so far tells you all you need to know about how they measure strength of schedule.  Sagarin is a much better one to use.  They have ND at 38th, and Alabama at 52nd.  Can anybody really say they'd rather have Northwestern's schedule so far than Notre Dame's?  NW has played OSU, @ Wisconsin, @ Stanford, MSU, and @ Nebraska.  Quite a bit more difficult than ND's so far, and they are ranked 13th on Teamrankings.com for their SOS.
  • For all the people complaining about Alabama's schedule, they don't have a definitive win, but they don't have a loss either.  They'll have at least 2 games against team's currently in the top 10, and maybe a 3rd in the conference championship.  They have some opportunities left for some real big wins.  ND only has Michigan left who is ranked, and they might not end the season ranked.  ND has some major ground to make up to pass Alabama, even if Alabama loses to LSU or Auburn but wins the rest of their games.
  • Advanced metrics don't like ND.  12th in Sagarin, and 19th in SP+.  They won't have many chances to bring those up to the top 5 unless they blow out most of the teams left on their schedule and get lucky with some teams ahead of them losing.
  • For teams trying to make the CFP, I don't care too much about what the bottom half of their schedule looks like.  If you're one of the best 4 teams in the country, it shouldn't make much difference playing the 40th best team and the 100th best team.  Obviously there are upsets sometimes, but 95% of the time, a top 4 team will beat the 40th and 100th ranked team.  I'd argue there's a bigger difference between the 2nd and 20th ranked team than the 50th and 100th.  When determining the best teams, I would weigh how they do against the best teams much more than a strength of schedule formula that puts a lot of weight into playing the 50th ranked team instead of the 100th ranked team.
  • I can't stand either ND or Alabama, and I hope they both miss the CFP.  Sorry all you ND fans!

3 hours ago, rico said:

Ya see, you are looking into the future.  Not what has happened so far.  'Bama has played no one.  Their schedule thus far sucks.  Their non con sucks...but we come back to LSU and Auburn, just like a SEC fan, 'Bama fan, and ESPN always do.  Now you are ragging on Michigan on ND's schedule?  Just who in the hell has Michigan got beat by?  

Should have lost to Army...got spanked by Wisconsin who then got exposed by Illinois. Did play a good game against PSU....but then who has PSU beat...almost lost to Pitt but struggled against Iowa. I'm not sold on them either. I'll know more after this stretch they are about to go on. At this point it's all speculation. Alabama just happens to have all its heavy weights at the end of the year. I agree though their schedule is not stronger than ND but they will in the end have more big games to show if they are for real or not. I know their defense isn't but I suspect by the end of the year Saban ala Belichick will have them playing well by the playoffs. I ain't going to lie. There aren't too many teams so far that don't have a hole in their resume. Maybe LSU and Oklahoma but that's about it.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

There is gonna be some shuffling in the Top Ten after today.

Who do you think is losing? Auburn is the only one I can see. I see them falling out and Oregon moving in. I think ND and PSU win close ones but I don't think there is much a change. I think OSU wins by two scores. Even though LSU and OSU both deserve to be above Alabama I doubt anyone flips them.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Who do you think is losing? Auburn is the only one I can see. I see them falling out and Oregon moving in. I think ND and PSU win close ones but I don't think there is much a change. I think OSU wins by two scores. Even though LSU and OSU both deserve to be above Alabama I doubt anyone flips them.

He must think Michigan beats ND!

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Auburn is definitely one.  But ND and Penn St. are going to be battling weather.  Weather that I think plays into their opponents hands.  I just have this feeling some upsets are gonna happen.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Auburn is definitely one.  But ND and Penn St. are going to be battling weather.  Weather that I think plays into their opponents hands.  I just have this feeling some upsets are gonna happen.

Well the weather in Ohio St game is horrible so that plays right into the running game of Wisconsin and that game is anybody's guess.

Kansas State could be getting a few "Thank you letters" if they hold on again st OU.

A Wildcat win would be big for the eventual B1G Champion, especially if the convincing margin holds up. It could hurt the Sooners in a similar way as OSU getting blasted by Purdue did last season, provided they even win out.

Archived