2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m obviously extremely biased haha but I agree. His defense alone is HOF-worthy IMO. 

He's probably my least favorite MLB player, but even I am not biased enough to say he doesn't deserve at least strong consideration.  

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you guys think Molina will be in the HOF? 

Yep. Probably one of the best defensive catchers to come along in years or even decades and it's not like the Cardinals have given him Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine/Avery to call games for for over the years. His offensive numbers are good enough. 

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you guys think Molina will be in the HOF? 

I do too, but it'll be interesting to see how the BBWAA treats Molina. 

Jorge Posada and Ted Simmons only lasted one year only the ballot after not receiving the requisite 10% of the vote in their first year on. I understand Molina is a superior defender to those 2, but the offensive stats they put up in comparison deserves debate. 

Plus the fact that 2 of Molina's contemporaries,  Mauer and Posey, will be subject to comparisons makes for an interesting argument. 

And although leadership is something that is difficult to put a gauge on, all 3 would rank highly in that category in my book...to me that's essential stuff for catchers as well.

Reds manager David bell is at it again and takes out the starter after 5 innings and you could tell Roark was not happy about it.  He only gave up 2 hits and 2 runs while only throwing 81 pitches  They are only down 2 -0 and they take him out for a pinch hitter.  What is worst they bring in their worst pitcher in Zack Duke who walked 2 of the 3 batters he faced.

On anther subject it is time for  Bell to make a decision on Joey Votto because he is just terrible  He is batting right around .200 with 4 homeruns and 8 rbi's and this is in 46 games.  Tp put in perspective that their backup catcher has 8 rbi's in a lot less at bats.  If Bell can keep taking out pitchers who is pitching well then why can't he bench a player why is not producing.  What is bad we have 4 more years on his terrible contract and won't be able to do anything about it.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds manager David bell is at it again and takes out the starter after 5 innings and you could tell Roark was not happy about it.  He only gave up 2 hits and 2 runs while only throwing 81 pitches  They are only down 2 -0 and they take him out for a pinch hitter.  What is worst they bring in their worst pitcher in Zack Duke who walked 2 of the 3 batters he faced.

On anther subject it is time for  Bell to make a decision on Joey Votto because he is just terrible  He is batting right around .200 with 4 homeruns and 8 rbi's and this is in 46 games.  Tp put in perspective that their backup catcher has 8 rbi's in a lot less at bats.  If Bell can keep taking out pitchers who is pitching well then why can't he bench a player why is not producing.  What is bad we have 4 more years on his terrible contract and won't be able to do anything about it.

Bell is an analytics guy.  Make no mistake about that.  

Votto is killing this team, analytics or not, he just is killing them.

9 hours ago, rico said:

Bell is an analytics guy.  Make no mistake about that.  

Votto is killing this team, analytics or not, he just is killing them.

Well I guess if none of these coaches or even organizations can't make up their own minds and have to have computers to decide everything they should just eliminate any humans in sports.  They should be played by robots that are run by computers since that is about what it is now and since it appears they want no human element in sports any longer.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I guess if none of these coaches or even organizations can't make up their own minds and have to have computers to decide everything they should just eliminate any humans in sports.  They should be played by robots that are run by computers since that is about what it is now and since it appears they want no human element in sports any longer.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. More importantly, what do the Reds do with Votto?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. More importantly, what do the Reds do with Votto?

To me he just over thinks things and he is just so different in his thinking's that I think he just overanalyzes things.  You can tell it is in his head and he needs to just relax and go with the Toney Perez philosophy of hitting, see ball hit ball.  with his contract and no trade clause it will be impossible to move him so I don't see what they can do.  I guess we can hope that Votto sees he is declining and decides he would rather retire and just hold on and be a bad baseball player.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'll give you an example of 2 situations over the weekend where doing things how a manager sees fit backfires in today's world. Maddon complained about Nats closer Doolittle toe tapping the mound on Saturday night. Doolittle's reaction was Joe has to show people how smart he is sometimes. My reaction to that is no. Joe is standing up for Carl Edwards (his pitcher) who did the same thing early in season and was forced to change his delivery. Secondly Joe faked a pinch hitter in last night's one run game to make Nats pitch to Contreras (thinking the on deck hitter was Caratini instead of pitcher). Buster Olney tweeted it out and everyone suggests Joe was just trying to show how smart he is again. 

My rambling point is this. Even when you do good baseball moves it backfires in the world we live. Regarding Bell....I don't watch him enough to get a feel for his style. Votto should have been traded years ago but that's on him right? 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me he just over thinks things and he is just so different in his thinking's that I think he just overanalyzes things.  You can tell it is in his head and he needs to just relax and go with the Toney Perez philosophy of hitting, see ball hit ball.  with his contract and no trade clause it will be impossible to move him so I don't see what they can do.  I guess we can hope that Votto sees he is declining and decides he would rather retire and just hold on and be a bad baseball player.

Well I am hoping and praying he "re-invents" himself.

Just now, rico said:

Well I am hoping and praying he "re-invents" himself.

To me he is so consumed with the analytics and just worrying  about OBP that he forget she is paid to drive in runs.  He just goes up to the plate and crouches down in his stance and chokes up on the bat 4-5 inches and instead of making more contact his strikeouts are way up.  To me baseball is simple it is about scoring runs and you either score them or drive them in and right now he is not doing either.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll give you an example of 2 situations over the weekend where doing things how a manager sees fit backfires in today's world. Maddon complained about Nats closer Doolittle toe tapping the mound on Saturday night. Doolittle's reaction was Joe has to show people how smart he is sometimes. My reaction to that is no. Joe is standing up for Carl Edwards (his pitcher) who did the same thing early in season and was forced to change his delivery. Secondly Joe faked a pinch hitter in last night's one run game to make Nats pitch to Contreras (thinking the on deck hitter was Caratini instead of pitcher). Buster Olney tweeted it out and everyone suggests Joe was just trying to show how smart he is again. 

My rambling point is this. Even when you do good baseball moves it backfires in the world we live. Regarding Bell....I don't watch him enough to get a feel for his style. Votto should have been traded years ago but that's on him right? 

Well I was busy this weekend so I didn't get a chance to the follow the Cubs.  But yeah sometimes logic backfires as well.  Bell is big into metrics and Votto should have been traded a few years back, but hind sight is what it is.

Just now, rico said:

Well I was busy this weekend so I didn't get a chance to the follow the Cubs.  But yeah sometimes logic backfires as well.  Bell is big into metrics and Votto should have been traded a few years back, but hind sight is what it is.

I know it may not seem like it sometimes but Reds are near and dear. Born in Chicago...Cubs are first love but my Grandparents were from Kentucky and lived in Indy and they loved the Reds so I've always cheered for them. Frustrating to see one of the gold standard franchises in a great baseball town truly let down their fans going on 2-3 decades. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me he is so consumed with the analytics and just worrying  about OBP that he forget she is paid to drive in runs.  He just goes up to the plate and crouches down in his stance and chokes up on the bat 4-5 inches and instead of making more contact his strikeouts are way up.  To me baseball is simple it is about scoring runs and you either score them or drive them in and right now he is not doing either.

Wait...the Reds have a girl playing for them? 😮

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What did you attribute a players struggles/slumps to before analytics became so prevalent?

9 hours ago, rico said:

Yu cruising for the Cubs...they need to get some more runs for him.

Best outing of the year for Darvish wasted by our offense not getting guys in and bs check swing that wasn't called a strikeout to end game before Phillies rallied and won in extra innings. Getting real tired of umps in major league baseball. That's 3x  this year Cubs have been screwed on bad calls to end game....not to mention the roaming strike zone from day to day. 

I'm not saying remove the umps....but I'm getting as close as I've been.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Best outing of the year for Darvish wasted by our offense not getting guys in and bs check swing that wasn't called a strikeout to end game before Phillies rallied and won in extra innings. Getting real tired of umps in major league baseball. That's 3x  this year Cubs have been screwed on bad calls to end game....not to mention the roaming strike zone from day to day. 

I'm not saying remove the umps....but I'm getting as close as I've been.

I think the one area there should be umpire assistance in is calling balls and strikes. I watched video of a game where, when the pitch was a strike, a green light positioned in the outfield would light up. The umpire simply verified the pitch. Instantaneous and 100% accurate.

After watching the stellar plate work of umpires like Joe West, Eric Gregg, and Angel Hernandez, over the years, I think it's needed.

Btw, Hernandez first came to my attention for staring down Steve "Mongo" McMichael after Mongo had said something about the umpiring after his (bad) seventh inning stretch rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Hernandez is probably lucky Mongo was in the TV booth and not field level. 🥵

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the one area there should be umpire assistance in is calling balls and strikes. I watched video of as game where, when the pitch was a strike, a green light positioned in the outfield would light up. The umpire simply verified the pitch. Instantaneous and 100% accurate.

After watching the stellar plate work of umpires like Joe West, Eric Gregg, and Angel Hernandez, over the years, I think it's needed.

Btw, Hernandez first came to my as attention for staring down Steve "Mongo" McMichael after Mongo had said something about the umpiring after his (bad) seventh inning stretch rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Hernandez is probably lucky Mongo was in the TV booth and not field level. 🥵

The Ron Coomer call the inning before. Remember it very clearly. I'm just tired of umps, officials,etc....directly impacting a game. 3-4 games per year means the difference between division title or not come September. Of course if the Cubs had an actual closer I probably wouldn't be as upset. 

Archived