2019 MLB Discussion

rico

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Agree all day. Which makes the sky was/is falling comments after 8 games to start the season even more funny now. 

The long time Reds announcer, Marty Brennaman, always said he didn't pay attention to the standings until June 1st.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rico said:

The long time Reds announcer, Marty Brennaman, always said he didn't pay attention to the standings until June 1st.

I always wait until roughly 40 games before I really dive into anything. 25% of the season to me is a pretty good indicator of what you have, what you need...

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I always wait until roughly 40 games before I really dive into anything. 25% of the season to me is a pretty good indicator of what you have, what you need...

Unless an unexpected injury comes up.  LOL  But yeah, 40 games is a good barometer.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Unless an unexpected injury comes up.  LOL  But yeah, 40 games is a good barometer.

Yep. Speaking of injuries. I don't see many of them and I certainly don't hear any of them either...but White Sox rebuild took another major hit this week. I think 2-3 guys had season ending surgeries. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Speaking of injuries. I don't see many of them and I certainly don't hear any of them either...but White Sox rebuild took another major hit this week. I think 2-3 guys had season ending surgeries. 

The Reds have 2 guys that have not played this year.  2B Scooter Gennett(AS last year) and SP Alex Wood(Dodger trade)

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-grades-injured-yankees-upstart-twins-pass-early-tests-big-fat-f-for-two-nl-east-teams-at-2019-quarter-mark/

Realize that this is just subjective opinions, but my Twins are the only team to get an A+

For the masses who only want to discuss two teams--

Cubs---  A-

Reds -- C+

Well if the Reds could win more of the 1 run games they would be right in the thick of things since close to half of their games have been 1 run games.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I want to be careful how I say this because of the number of Reds fans on here. That was just a bad loss for my Cubs yesterday. If we play each other 19 this year no reason Cubs shouldn't win 13-14 minimally. 

I think you are selling the Reds short.  The Reds SHOULD win tonight with Castillo on the mound.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are selling the Reds short.  The Reds SHOULD win tonight with Castillo on the mound.

Very well could be. I'm just saying the Cubs come into the series 22-6 vs teams like Mariners, Dodgers, Cards, Brewers, Diamondbacks,etc....we should beat the Reds because we're the better team and secondly.....Darvish pitched so well to have his pen blow one like that hurt. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Very well could be. I'm just saying the Cubs come into the series 22-6 vs teams like Mariners, Dodgers, Cards, Brewers, Diamondbacks,etc....we should beat the Reds because we're the better team and secondly.....Darvish pitched so well to have his pen blow one like that hurt. 

The Reds are 2nd in the MLB in pitching and if they could hit at all they would be right up there with the Cubs

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Reds are 2nd in the MLB in pitching and if they could hit at all they would be right up there with the Cubs

Yep. Staff has been superb. Hopefully we get this game in tonight. Rain/Storms supposed to hit area by 8 or 9. Don't want another delay on getaway day for us. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Staff has been superb. Hopefully we get this game in tonight. Rain/Storms supposed to hit area by 8 or 9. Don't want another delay on getaway day for us. 

Castillio has a 1.76 ERA so hopefully the reds can get another great outing form hi tonight

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't care about your getaway day.  LOL  

Well congrats to the Reds for taking 2 out of 3, but I have to get in my perfunctory Joe Maddon rant...

Why would anybody in their right mind bat Kyle Schwarber in the lead off spot? The .331 OBP? The blazing speed? Like I said, I think Maddon is a good manager whose strength is managing the psyche and the personalities over 162 games, but some of his strategic moves baffle me.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Well congrats to the Reds for taking 2 out of 3, but I have to get in my perfunctory Joe Maddon rant...

Why would anybody in their right mind bat Kyle Schwarber in the lead off spot? The .331 OBP? The blazing speed? Like I said, I think Maddon is a good manager whose strength is managing the psyche and the personalities over 162 games, but some of his strategic moves baffle me.

Here they come...Cubs lose first series since April 7th and now it's time to start criticizing Maddon again. Priceless.  Maddon hinted at this earlier in the week on his show. Decided to give Schwarber a try because Heyward is 4 for his last 48. Down Rizzo, Zobrist gone for his divorce....he'll be tinkering for a few games so  you might want to miss the Nationals series until we're 100%

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here they come...Cubs lose first series since April 7th and now it's time to start criticizing Maddon again. Priceless.  Maddon hinted at this earlier in the week on his show. Decided to give Schwarber a try because Heyward is 4 for his last 48. Down Rizzo, Zobrist gone for his divorce....he'll be tinkering for a few games so  you might want to miss the Nationals series until we're 100%

But still, why Schwarber?  Jump start him?  

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There's no need to be a wise ass about it. I simply prefer someone who has a decent OBP, some speed, and who gets the bat on the ball. I understand we have some missing pieces, I just don't agree that Schwarber, as much as I love the guy, is a good choice in the one hole.

And I'll watch whatever I want, thanks.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

But still, why Schwarber?  Jump start him?  

That's what was suggested by several close. He's been so inconsistent the Cubs are trying any and everything to get him going. My fear is he holds little to no trade value right now.....and we can't have our corner outfielder with 4-5 home runs by May 17. Love Schwarber to death. He jump started the entire organization with 2nd half of 2015. His World Series .430 batting average in 2016....but man. He needs to figure it out. 

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's no need to be a wise ass about it. I simply prefer someone who has a decent OBP, some speed, and who gets the bat on the ball. I understand we have some missing pieces, I just don't agree that Schwarber, as much as I love the guy, is a good choice in the one hole.

And I'll watch whatever I want, thanks.

My apologies. Wasn't being wise a--....but it is a very real thing. There are certain factions of fans that (IU or Cubs or whatever) that almost can't wait for a downturn or something to go wrong so they can point out being right. See it all the time with Cubs/Maddon and I certainly see it with IU fans...especially on boards.

All good! PS...I don't Schwarber leading off either. 

Archived