Rutgers Post

Drroogh

1 minute ago, HoosierCPA said:

I thought Damezi brought some much needed scrappiness to the floor last night.  I think we're going to love this kid in a year or two.  The game's a little too fast for him right now, but love the fight he showed for the loose balls.  Another thing I've loved about him lately - when he fouls, he fouls HARD.  If I remember correctly, he about took Haarms' head off with a foul in the Purdue game and it brought a smile to my face.  I don't want him to injure anybody, but love when he shows he's not going to be bullied.

I agree, hope that’s a sign he is going to improve and start contributing.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I thought Damezi brought some much needed scrappiness to the floor last night.  I think we're going to love this kid in a year or two.  The game's a little too fast for him right now, but love the fight he showed for the loose balls.  Another thing I've loved about him lately - when he fouls, he fouls HARD.  If I remember correctly, he about took Haarms' head off with a foul in the Purdue game and it brought a smile to my face.  I don't want him to injure anybody, but love when he shows he's not going to be bullied.

Agree.  The comment about fouling reminded me of an instance in the first half last night: Jake was in and on the defensive end got bulldozed a couple of times (leading to a close in basket by one of the Rutgers big guys) and you could see him react and then look at the ref like "he hit me really hard".  We have to stop playing like boys and start playing like men.

9 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Post mortem on consecutive loss number 7, including the final box score and specialty stats, post-game from both coaches, highlights and more.  Read at your own risk.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-at-rutgers-the-report-card-2/

So, the bench got 43 minutes of run last night and contributed 2 points.  I guess we know why Archie has kept a short rotation.  :coffee:

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Leadership on the court is going to be a huge factor in determining whether we see any improvement next year.  And, for that< i'm holding out hope that Al takes it upon himself to be that guy.  Granted, i'm only seeing what I can see during a game, but he seems to have some of the attributes that it takes to be an effective on the court leader.

So, Al, if you should happen to be reading this, I believe in you.  The opportunity to make this YOUR team next season is out there.  It doesn't mean that you should be expected to be our leading scorer, rebounder, or assist guy.  Just be that guy that leaves it all out on the court, 40 minutes a game, every game, and who is not afraid to get in someone else's grill when they aren't giving max effort.  

I agree with this.  At one point last night it looked to me like Al and Justin were jawing at each other. I was worried about the bad chemistry, but on the very next possession, Al hit Justin on the fast break for a lay-up.  I was impressed to see Al go right to him when only seconds before they seemed to  be jawing at each other.

11 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

I will take credit for saying it would be 2-3 years until we're good....I was thinking too negatively, and didn't articulate very well.  I know it will take time, but I am surprised " how year two has been a step back from year one.  Also, by being "good", I don't mean vying for a big ten title.  By good, I mean top 4-5 in the conference.  I still think Archie is our best hope for long term success, and it is unfair to him that the fanbase has years of frustration built up that falls on his shoulders.  We fans should let some of this go and not be so impatient, unreasonable and obtuse.  This is why I am trying to let this season go.  As I have said before, most of our excitement comes in the off-season and what help is "on the way".  Recent hope has been CAM, than Romeo, now TJD and possibly Brooks, with the growing legend of Hunter, etc.  

I do respect this level headed approach by you, Badgervol, and others. It is why I have a hard time staying away from IU basketball. I am convinced that without this board, I would not spend nearly the amount of time thinking about this dreaded game as I do.  Cheers to this board, and let's hope for better days when we also toast to Archie and a new banner being unfurled in Assembly Hall.

Thank you. Archie has character, has a solid past of success and should be given a chance. I’m not saying 10 years but I am saying at least 3 and probably 4.

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Thank you. Archie has character, has a solid past of success and should be given a chance. I’m not saying 10 years but I am saying at least 3 and probably 4.

I've always said, in order to be fair, a coach needs to be given , at least, a four year recruiting cycle.  I like Arch.  And feel he deserves no less.  Unlike, Sampson, Miller is bringing in high character individuals.  Over time, that will pay dividends, IMHO. 

4 hours ago, Muddy River said:

So, the bench got 43 minutes of run last night and contributed 2 points.  I guess we know why Archie has kept a short rotation.  :coffee:

I would tell you we got better play out of the bench last night than your post implies. 

First take out Fitz and McRoberts time.  Next Demezi played hard and was scrappy.  He didn’t want to shoot a few times which is frustrating but he was the scrappiest guy at the end of the game.  He showed more fire than all the starters except maybe Al.

Jake struggled at times but this was his first real meaningful minutes in almost all the games.  Look back at the film and a few times he ran his butt off back and forth on the court.  You could tell he wanted to be in there.

Moore once again played a few minutes, made 2 free throws, and never played again.  He had some bad fouls but so did Juan and Romeo.  He didn’t get enough minutes to grade one way or the other.  

As someome stated earlier Archie should have been playing these guys way more when they were playing crappy tiny school state.  For the experience they have gotten so far this year, which is none, they did fine.  Secondly if Juan and Romeo could actually stay on the court and stop fouling Archie wouldn’t have had so many inexperienced players in at once.  You all keep saying give Archie time, it’s only far to give the bench time as well before passing judgement.  

I’ll tell you right now I’ll take Anderson over Smith at this point.  I also still think Moore and Juan at the same time would be nice to see.  Let Juan play the four and give him more space to move.

The bench needs to improve as well.  Moore was soft on the boards and Anderson was scared to shoot At times.  Lets give them a real chance before passing judgement.  

Archived