De’Ron Davis

5 hours ago, rico said:

Is it just me......or does De'Ron remind anybody else of Daryl Thomas?

Yes, similarities on the court, and vastly different that  DT's biggest critic was his own coach during his playing days at Indiana.  

Times have changed the coaching approach of most teachers of the game since then , but DeRon has the belief of Coach Miller, despite having more to prove to those not so close to him.  That is the biggest difference, but the presence in the post is definitely reminiscent and I hope we are lucky enough to be treated to DD at his best on a more regular basis. There is a poster here who was already aware of my belief in Davis, and a  future conversation about him was already in the works before the other night. Now I'm really looking forward to that particular subject coming up, even more.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Big of you Danomatic-  to post this one!  Much respect for that!!! 

I dig people who eat their crow with grace as I have often found myself eating it for some reason or another. When it is a player one happens to be rooting for , it feels good to be proven wrong though. 

A lot of people forgot how good/valuable Juwan could be for IUBB at one time, too . It made his breakout year sweet to see. I would stop short of calling this a breakout for year for DD, but simply because he has not been able to go full speed often enough to give us more than a glimpse or two thus far. . That having been said, fewer guys can truly replace what DeRon offers than perhaps any other role on the team. 

I hope DeRon is able to sustain his play, and has the continuing improved health to do so as Juwan has mostly enjoyed since he really started to break out last season. . .I think DD will only get better, but as always it revolves around availability. Now that Juwan has been re-injured to his shoulder it is even more critical getting DD back to form and building on his strong game against MSU. In the post game interview DD talked with a bit of a chip on his shoulder which appears like the perfect ingredient for a team that hasn't played with much of one collectively of late,  prior to last night.He said it himself . "People don;t respect us right now" You know where he was going with that in his head at that moment. Pretty palpable feelings. and thanks for the share on the interview Mile. 

I’ve always been a big fan of Davis, but have just been disappointed with him not being able to stay healthy enough to maximize his potential. 

I've always been a fan of De'Ron. He's not going to be able to guard little guys on the perimeter. So what? They will not be able to guard him in the post. If he is on the court, he needs to have the ball to be effective. If you are not going to feed him in the post, then he shouldn't be on the floor vs smaller guys. When going against the conference bigs, his size and defense is needed. I'd love to see him start and have the team focus on getting him the ball early and often to draw some early fouls on the other teams center. Let them play with their backup bigs because their starter is on the bench with 2 fouls. We certainly know what that is like. With some home games coming up, the timing is perfect. I understand Davis may not provide starter minutes but 20-25/ game seems realistic. I think Davis and Morgan would be a deadly duo. Granted that moves someone to the bench. Justin may not like that too much. He could take the place of a guard but I like 2 out of Rob, Al and Green out there for some shooting with Romeo as the slasher. Justin as the 6th man can still get 25+ minutes subbing for Morgan and Davis. Morgan can go in and outside and be more effective taking a wing inside and utilizing his passing.  I hope Archie has been forced to use Davis like he has because of his injuries and can recognize we need some size to match up better with bigger, better teams.

33 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Hasn't race already played a few minutes early in the season?  If not, when might we expect to see him if he does play this season?  Soon I hope.

You can play a few games and still get a red shirt. Archie said he was going to play but that was before the set back with the flu. I hope he starts playing soon or I would shut him down.

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You can play a few games and still get a red shirt. Archie said he was going to play but that was before the set back with the flu. I hope he starts playing soon or I would shut him down.

I appreciate Jake's effort Saturday...but I think Race gives us more at this point. Stronger and should be more polished given he has been here longer. I think if Race WANTS to play, then you play him. 6 years in college is a long time. 

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I appreciate Jake's effort Saturday...but I think Race gives us more at this point. Stronger and should be more polished given he has been here longer. I think if Race WANTS to play, then you play him. 6 years in college is a long time. 

I agree with all of this. Jake needs a big summer in the weight room.

5 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I’ve always been a big fan of Davis, but have just been disappointed with him not being able to stay healthy enough to maximize his potential. 

It has definitely been frustrating not seeing everything he is capable of,  especially knowing how many nights the team could have used him at full strength. He probably feels the same way, but I can;t complain with how Davis  has went about handling so many setbacks at this point. Still wonder what we will get out of him on a night in night out basis as he continues to settle in  and if it will be more frequent for really solid nights out of him from here out. If his health holds up I'm excited to find out. 

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

Is he the player stepping into a leadership role that CAM referenced in his post-game?  It would be great if he was, it seems like he has leadership in his make-up, and this would provide us with much needed Senior leadership next year. 

De'Ron clearly has leadership ability,  in his makeup.  I saw it first hand as he clearly was the leader, leading his Overland Trailblazers, to not one, but two consecutive state championships.

De'Ron Davis from Overland, wins back-to-back state championships

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

De'Ron clearly has leadership ability,  in his makeup.  I saw it first hand as he clearly was the leader, leading his Overland Trailblazers, to not one, but two consecutive state championships.

De'Ron Davis from Overland, wins back-to-back state championships

If DeRon would of been healthy we never would of been talking about a 7 game losing streak. I think we easily would have 3-4 more in the win column. His being out was a back breaker. 

I pray  he has no more setbacks the rest of his career at Indiana. 

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Yeah, but Archie maybe thinks Race is another missing piece to the puzzle.  Who knows but it would nice to be "BIG".  

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

We are going to love this kid in time. Flu set him back. The more he misses, the more another red shirt year makes sense.

Sorry to show my ignorance but why would the NCAA grant a medical redshirt to a kid because he had the flu? Sure he missed a couple months because of his concussion but technically he has been cleared to play and it’s just been coaches decision correct?? It’s not like he tore his acl and missed the year.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry to show my ignorance but why would the NCAA grant a medical redshirt to a kid because he had the flu? Sure he missed a couple months because of his concussion but technically he has been cleared to play and it’s just been coaches decision correct?? It’s not like he tore his acl and missed the year.

He has missed the whole year due to injury so yes he could. I will look it up as to what % you can play before red shirting.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here's what the amendment says: A player can compete in 30 percent of a team's games – instead of 20 percent – in the first half of the season and still be eligible for a medical hardship waiver. For example, if Illinois plays a 28-game schedule and a player is injured in the eighth game, he still can meet the criteria for a medical hardship waiver. Under the old rule, he would have to be injured in or before the fifth game.

"At the end of the day, it was a value judgment that 30 percent of the season better represented a good opportunity to have meaningful participation in that season," said Chad Hawley, the Big Ten's assistant commissioner for compliance. "If the idea is for student-athletes to have four full seasons of competition while they're in college, the thought was that 30 (percent) gets a student-athlete closer to fulfilling the idea of full participation."

This is for season ending injury. Not sure if cleared but still held out. I would think 30% is 30% to apply for another year. The Big Ten approves the waivers.

Archived