Wisconsin Postgame Thread

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

One other thing about Race. I don’t wanted to carried away, as the kid hasn’t even made a basket yet, but his hustle, defense, positioning, etc. has been great. But to me one of the best plays he made all night, and the sign of a high basketball IQ players vs. a low one, was the play where Langford threw him the ball around midcourt up 1 in 2OT. Instead of holding it to get fouled, which I believe Smith would have done (I’m projecting there, but he’s clearly not a high IQ guy) he quickly got rid of it to Phinisee who was then able to find Davis for the and 1. 

Though very simple, it was a smart, smart play, and the type of play certain guys on this team don’t understand. 

Lol, he didnt want anything to do with the ball there!!!  And im not laughing at Race, that was a VERY smart play, but you could see the thought bubble over his head..."OH HELL NO! I dont want that thing!"

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Indykev said:

yes it was a bad 5 mins...you would hope as a coach your bench could match theirs and hold a 13 point lead. Romeo played 45 mins and Rob went out hurt i believe at that time.  But yes I agree all 3 shouldnt be out.

It was a bad 5 minutes, but as a coach, I think the mindset would be "you don't have to make spectacular plays, just don't make boneheaded plays!" And what happens? Green takes an ill-advised step back 3, and Smith takes an ill-advised 3 (which in my book is any 3 he takes). And the defense, which had been carrying us all game, lets down.

Kudos to Race, Rob, De'ron, and of course, Romeo. They, collectively, we're  the difference. Between the shear length of the game, the way too many monitor breaks, and Dakich's normal oscillating between being informative and nauseating, I'm sure my mood this morning would be much darker if we had let another one slip away...

But we didn't, so take that, Bucky! Go Hoosiers! We can still get there!

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was a bad 5 minutes, but as a coach, I think the mindset would be "you don't have to make spectacular plays, just don't make boneheaded plays!" And what happens? Green takes an ill-advised step back 3, and Smith takes an ill-advised 3 (which in my book is any 3 he takes). And the defense, which had been carrying us all game, lets down.

Kudos to Race, Rob, De'ron, and of course, Romeo. They, collectively, we're  the difference. Between the shear length of the game, the way too many monitor breaks, and Dakich's normal oscillating between being informative and nauseating, I'm sure my mood this morning would be much darker if we had let another one slip away...

But we didn't, so take that, Bucky! Go Hoosiers! We can still get there!

With as many minutes as some of our better players had to play, the frequent monitor breaks were probably helpful.  Nice to get a win, saw some things we can build on for next year.  Really think that Thompson could develop into that rugged interior guy that we have been missing. 

There were things to complain about too, but when wins have been so hard to come by, I would rather accentuate the positive right now.

Race did exactly what we needed out of him...play solid D and rebound.  Im not sure where the NCAA stands on head gear in basketball...but if we can get him some, lets do it because while his stat sheet might not show it, but like McBob last year, he will be a difference make for us....potentially.

45 minutes for Romeo and given the way he blew by Wiscy on last play seemed like he was still fresh. Kudos to him. Kudos also to team for having 4 guys in double figures, Morgan with 15 boards/Race Thompson with 7. Honestly only 13 turnovers for a double OT game isn't bad at all. Didn't like the foul differential one bit but it's Wisconsin.....apparently they've never fouled before. 

Regarding the pregame thread on injuries/excuses. Seems very clear to me when Davis was in he helped us win. When Race was in he helped us win. Injuries impact games against good teams. Last night was a perfect example of that. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding the pregame thread on injuries/excuses. Seems very clear to me when Davis was in he helped us win. When Race was in he helped us win. Injuries impact games against good teams. Last night was a perfect example of that. 

Agreed. I think the problem happening in that other thread is a disconnect in the discussion. I don't think anyone who are pointing to injuries as a factor are saying they are the only factor, or even the main factor, but they aren't just an excuse, as they are being dismissed away by some others. As BGleas noted, Race's basketball IQ is already on display, and it's already light years ahead of Devonte or Justin, and Race hasn't even logged a full game of minutes yet. 

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

milehiiu game ball goes to Bruiser Flint.

And all of you know why. 

The refs clearly did not want to look at that replay. They seemed to truly believe that Bruiser was seeing something that was not there.  I honestly wonder if they finally relented just as a way to make him sit down.  I think they were truly surprised by what they saw.

13 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Tell tale sign of someone that a post hits home with when they respond like this and weren’t even named in the post. 

I really dont care but you first in line to try and say I told you so. I just not afraid to speak my mind. Injuries legitimate hurt us yes.  Still an excuse yes.

7 hours ago, Cbp4IU said:

That Green foul watching it over again was bad

I think Devonta should go to Hollywood,he would be great at playing Wesley Snipes in white man cant jump 2,he clearly has the game for that type of play...with the flashy but usually unsuccessful passing,me first attitude...look good and lose...he would be a hit.

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Great win and great fight last night.  I'm just afraid it's all too little too late for this season.  Hopefully we finish strong so we can all have some positives to focus on over the off season. 

It may not be too late. Win out and we get to 17 wins, with a number of high profile ones in there, and that would include 2 over MSU, which is still a top 10 team. I'd say we'd have to win at least 2 games in the BTT to have a shot, but the way we're playing defensively, that's not entirely out of the question. 

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It may not be too late. Win out and we get to 17 wins, with a number of high profile ones in there, and that would include 2 over MSU, which is still a top 10 team. I'd say we'd have to win at least 2 games in the BTT to have a shot, but the way we're playing defensively, that's not entirely out of the question. 

There are a lot of so called experts saying we have enough quality wins and a weak bubble field gives a glimmer of hope. 

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Probably.  I'm trying to manage my expectations.  

Saw this on twitter last night. 

There are now 13 teams with at least 6 Quadrant 1 wins and no Quadrant 3 or Quadrant 4 losses: 12 of them (UVA, Duke, UK, KU, MSU, UNC, Michigan, Wisconsin, Marquette, MD, Miss St. and Kansas St.) are VERY comfortably in the field. And then there's Indiana....

Archived