NBA Thread

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

From the story Rico linked above -- this give me a big 'meh' reaction. The P's need to stop being so un-splashy. I'd take Billups in a second over another assistant promotion.

INDIANA PACERS

Pelicans’ assistant Chris Finch appears to be the frontrunner here. Mike D’Antoni has been linked to this job before the bubble and long before Nate McMillan was fired, and there are reports he is still in consideration.

The Pacers have cast a wide net in this search, reportedly talking to more than 20 people about the job. This week that includes Miami assistants Dan Craig and Chris Quinn. There are conflicting reports about Dave Joerger being in the mix for this job, but he appears to be on the outside looking in at this point.

From what I have heard its Billups,  Dantoni or 1 of the assistants I mentioned.  I would take Quinn over Finch I know a few players really like Billups 

Finch or Billups is my pick.  I saw/heard Dan Burke will not be returning.  Not sure on Popeye Jones.  Bill Bayno apparently travels to and from with Sabonis quite often throughout the offseason so I would say he stays on the roster.  If D'Antoni is brought in, the personnel could then be added for support.  I'd go:

Finch, Billups then D'Antoni.  Finch has been around for a bit but is very much a players coach from readings I have found.  Billups is a wild card here since he's not been coaching but is a somewhat recent player.  D'Antoni, well you know what you get with him(almost seems like fun regular season b-ball and a total wild card come playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The personnel does not support a Dantoni hire

Interesting - why do you think this?

From my perspective, MDA has won at a high-level with three different organizations and shaped his offense to fit the personnel each time. I'm not sure he can get us over the hump, but I'm not really sure any coach is going to magically do that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting - why do you think this?

From my perspective, MDA has won at a high-level with three different organizations and shaped his offense to fit the personnel each time. I'm not sure he can get us over the hump, but I'm not really sure any coach is going to magically do that. 

I feel that a player like Sabonis will not strive in that offense. I think it woukd be great for Myles. I just dont see the overall shooting needed to spread the floor. Its a layup or 3 with Dantoni which is great offense if.you can force the defense to play the whole half court. I don't see Brogdon doing well for some reason. Just my take

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I feel that a player like Sabonis will not strive in that offense. I think it woukd be great for Myles. I just dont see the overall shooting needed to spread the floor. Its a layup or 3 with Dantoni which is great offense if.you can force the defense to play the whole half court. I don't see Brogdon doing well for some reason. Just my take

That’s actually not true on the centers. Sabonis is actually a better fit because he doesn’t shoot the 3. D’Antoni centers don’t shoot 3’s. They are typically used in pick and rolls and cuts to the basket with shooters and playmakers around them. 

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That’s actually not true on the centers. Sabonis is actually a better fit because he doesn’t shoot the 3. D’Antoni centers don’t shoot 3’s. They are typically used in pick and rolls and cuts to the basket with shooters and playmakers around them. 

I did not follow the Rockets much but who was their center this year

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Finch or Billups is my pick.  I saw/heard Dan Burke will not be returning.  Not sure on Popeye Jones.  Bill Bayno apparently travels to and from with Sabonis quite often throughout the offseason so I would say he stays on the roster.  If D'Antoni is brought in, the personnel could then be added for support.  I'd go:

Finch, Billups then D'Antoni.  Finch has been around for a bit but is very much a players coach from readings I have found.  Billups is a wild card here since he's not been coaching but is a somewhat recent player.  D'Antoni, well you know what you get with him(almost seems like fun regular season b-ball and a total wild card come playoffs.  

Dan Burke has been with the Pacers for over 20 years and is know for his defense.  They were good on defense but not as well as you would think if you keep a guy that long that i sknow for defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They had Capella but he was traded at the trade deadline.  After that he used all forwards and guards

Of those guys which one was not camping around the 3 pt line. What I saw was basically a 5 out Harden dribble the air out of it drive and if help comes early kick out for 3. If not draw the foul or throw up bad shot.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of those guys which one was not camping around the 3 pt line. What I saw was basically a 5 out Harden dribble the air out of it drive and if help comes early kick out for 3. If not draw the foul or throw up bad shot.

All of there guys were aorund the 3 point line after the trade.  There tallest players was like 6'7 so they had no low post guys at all. 

Covington 6'7

Tucker 6'5

Harden 6'5

Westbrook 6'3

Gordon 6'3

Edited by IU Scott

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think PJ Tucker led the team in rebounds.

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This year was an exception after the Capella trade. I would look at what he did with Stoudemire in Phoenix as what he would do with Sabonis.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What are the odds that Billups could be the dark horse for the Pacers after all? It seems his Clippers associate coach position is pending on if the Pacers actually hire him....

I don’t think he’s a dark horse if he is one of the 3 finalists as J Michael believes.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What are the odds that Billups could be the dark horse for the Pacers after all? It seems his Clippers associate coach position is pending on if the Pacers actually hire him....

This is a paragraph from an article at ESPN.com

Chauncey Billups is expected to be a candidate to join Lue's staff with the Clippers, sources said, although he's involved currently in the Indiana Pacers' search for a head coach.

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t think he’s a dark horse if he is one of the 3 finalists as J Michael believes.

I realize that...maybe I worded not incorrectly...I mean, a guy with zero coaching experience seems like a long shot, but not really. If the higher ups are going to listen to their player’s opinion on this, he may be the one...The more it soaks in, the more I like it...