NBA Thread

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Right, and I remember when he let Carlisle go, it was just odd. Of course Carlisle went on to win a championship in Dallas, and is one of the better coaches in the game.

I am on record being disgusted with how Bird handled the P's in the last few years -- I do not think he's "stupid," he's sharp, but I do think his pig-headedness translated into a number of bone-headed and just outright stupid moves.

It wasn't just the way he publicly treated PG -- he did the same thing to Hibbert and at a time when the team was trying to trade Hibbert. Why in the world would you publicly call out Hibbert when you're trying to trade him? He basically called Hibbert soft and weak and no longer relevant, while the team was trying to trade him. And as to West -- yes he brought West in, but it was Bird, and his treatment of Hibbert, that made West so angry he left a $12M offer on the table with the P's to join the Spurs for, as I recall, $1M. That was all on Bird. Bird is stubborn. It killed the team in his final years.

Bird didn't score any points with me the way he filleted the Pacers.  They went from a contender to pretender.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Bird didn't score any points with me the way he filleted the Pacers.  They went from a contender to pretender.

Yeah some of our drafts...ughh. Someone has been clamoring for Jrue Holiday. I think he is starting to show his age now...we wouldn’t be getting the prime Holiday...but we could have drafted him instead of Hansbrough. Trading for Brandon Rush, for George Hill, for Scola instead of keeping the pick and could have taken Draymond Green, Kris Middleton or Jae Crowder.

• Like 1

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/10/02/pacers-coaching-search-round-2-interviews-include-chauncey-billups/5894940002/

Not a great list so far so hopefully some others will be involved. Of these 3 I would take Chauncy Billups because we have 1 former HC who has been fired twice.  Another has been an assistant at NO who coach was just fired.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/10/02/pacers-coaching-search-round-2-interviews-include-chauncey-billups/5894940002/

Not a great list so far so hopefully some others will be involved. Of these 3 I would take Chauncy Billups because we have 1 former HC who has been fired twice.  Another has been an assistant at NO who coach was just fired.

Billups could end up being really good just no way to know without taking the plunge. One thing for sure, he’s really well liked and respected by players, and he of course knows how to run a team on the floor at a championship level.

Finch is kind of intriguing. He was the D League coach of the year. Knowing how well an assistant will do at the helm is still guesswork, but I’d take both over Joerger and of course the article seems to make him the front runner .... Come on Pacers do something different 

The Lakers have been dominant in the Finals. Heat injuries aside, I thought they matched up well and it would be competitive but boy was I wrong. 

The Lakers have been impressive; obviously LBJ and AD have been the two best players, but their role players have played well too. They've had no issues slicing through the Heat zone which obviously caused problems for a Celtics team that I think most perceive as being better coached and better shooting. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

The Lakers have been dominant in the Finals. Heat injuries aside, I thought they matched up well and it would be competitive but boy was I wrong. 

The Lakers have been impressive; obviously LBJ and AD have been the two best players, but their role players have played well too. They've had no issues slicing through the Heat zone which obviously caused problems for a Celtics team that I think most perceive as being better coached and better shooting. 

Yeah the Lakers caught a good hand. Avoided the Clippers and Kahwi, got an injured Murray and Nuggets, now caught a hot Heat who just lots their best player “Bam” and with an injured Dragic who was playing great. You can only play who is in front of you but it’s not been interesting playoffs to say the least.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah the Lakers caught a good hand. Avoided the Clippers and Kahwi, got an injured Murray and Nuggets, now caught a hot Heat who just lots their best player “Bam” and with an injured Dragic who was playing great. You can only play who is in front of you but it’s not been interesting playoffs to say the least.

I'm not sure I could disagree more. I think it's been a really interesting playoffs with a lot of high level basketball. 

Have the Lakers had some breaks? Sure, depending on how you frame it. Do they look to be right now a worthy champion? Absolutely. 

• Like 1

Chauncey_Billups_Nuggets.jpg

On 10/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, IU Scott said:

I am a big fan of Chauncey.  Watched him in high school at Denver's George Washington high school.  Then followed him to the University of Colorado.  And of course into the pros.  He always was an exceptional player... winning many awards in high school and college.  However... the thing that always stood out for me is that he is truly a humble and good guy. 

Edited by milehiiu

The Clips struggled to beat Dallas who lost KP and didn't have Powell. Eventually the Mavs just did not have enough fater losing KP.   I think the Clips thought they were going to walk through this thing.  I don't like the Lakers but I think they were going to roll the Heat injuries or no injuries. Rondo's return has energized their defense especially in the back court. Adebayo is a super star on the rise but Laker are deep.  AD, Lebron, Howard and even McGee. The lakers can throw more at him than entire East opponents did.   The Lakers best backcourt defender opted out in Avery Bradley. IMO, Miami benefitted just as much in the playoffs with breaks as the Lakers.   

I hope the Pacers hire Billups. The current team really didn't play together much and it seems there is a lack of cohesion off the court.  Nate fired, VO and Turner rumors.  Low ball offers. Sabonis out.  Billups seems to maybe bring a sense of calm.  I think he can be similar to the Suns coach and at least get everyone on the same page.  If I'm the Pacers, I don't make big player moves until the trade deadline.

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure I could disagree more. I think it's been a really interesting playoffs with a lot of high level basketball. 

Have the Lakers had some breaks? Sure, depending on how you frame it. Do they look to be right now a worthy champion? Absolutely. 

I haven’t watched 1 min of it so I’ll take your word. Most years I would watch all the games but this year I just can’t work up enough care. Ive overlooked a lot the past several years but eventually there was just more than I could stomach. My love for basketball only goes so far and with a young child growing up before my eyes I don’t regret missing a moment of it. 
I will say the Lakers surprised me. I didn’t think they could win it all with the cast they had...especially the lack of pg. I was wrong.

21 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

The Clips struggled to beat Dallas who lost KP and didn't have Powell. Eventually the Mavs just did not have enough fater losing KP.   I think the Clips thought they were going to walk through this thing.  I don't like the Lakers but I think they were going to roll the Heat injuries or no injuries. Rondo's return has energized their defense especially in the back court. Adebayo is a super star on the rise but Laker are deep.  AD, Lebron, Howard and even McGee. The lakers can throw more at him than entire East opponents did.   The Lakers best backcourt defender opted out in Avery Bradley. IMO, Miami benefitted just as much in the playoffs with breaks as the Lakers.   

I hope the Pacers hire Billups. The current team really didn't play together much and it seems there is a lack of cohesion off the court.  Nate fired, VO and Turner rumors.  Low ball offers. Sabonis out.  Billups seems to maybe bring a sense of calm.  I think he can be similar to the Suns coach and at least get everyone on the same page.  If I'm the Pacers, I don't make big player moves until the trade deadline.

Low ball offers??? Sabonis out (hurt)? The rumors around indy are that the cohesion problem is guys on the team having problems with Vic having one foot out the door. That's why they can't wait until the trade deadline to trade him like some people suggest the Pacers should do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Very intrigued at what the Pacers could net for Victor.  I truly think he'll return very close to pre knee injury. If Myles could have netted us a top 10 pick in this past draft plus other assets, what does Vic net us in return?

When you say pre knee injury, do you mean the one year he played like a top 20ish player or pre knee injury as in the year after that were he regressed before he got hurt? 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The NBA must have gotten to the Lakers and tell them they need the series to go longer.

Why would they want it to go longer? It should be put out of it's misery.

"Game 2 of the NBA Finals between the Lakers and Heat utterly collapsed with just 4.5 million viewers. The embarrassing average is down — wait for it — 68% from last year’s Game 2, which featured a team in Canada."

"How bad is the number? It’s the least-watched NBA Finals game on record. Dropping even below Game 1’s 7.41, the lowest-viewed Finals opener in history."

https://www.outkick.com/nba-ratings-tank-game-2/

20 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

First year in Indy where he earned his 1st All Star nod.  

I don't see that; he wasn't that player before the injury. That year looks, to me at least, to be a career year. He has never come close to those numbers or that level of efficiency before or since that season.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is still a good player, but I think that's about where I draw the line with him. He's unlikely to make 70% of his shots at the rim again and he continues to shoot more and more threes despite being an average at best three point shooter. He made 58% of his corner threes that season which is again, something he is unlikely to ever replicate. 

• Like 1