NBA Thread

Really good article on Lebron vs. Jordan. They don't touch on it much, but do mention in passing, how as much as the rule changes make it less physical on the perimeter today, they also make it a lot harder to score 1:1 today. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30070633/lebron-james-vs-michael-jordan-why-goat-debate-different-now

Edited by KoB2011

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not that this has anything to do with anything.  Other than this is an NBA thread.... and it seems we have many Pacer ( or as you you refer to them.... "P" fans )... I ask who is you all time fav "P" player ?

For me it has to be :

Reggie Miller 

As a kid I was a Bob Netolicky fan, but from a talent standpoint Roger Brown and Big Mac are hard to beat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

As a kid I was a Bob Netolicky fan, but from a talent standpoint Roger Brown and Big Mac are hard to beat.

You named some mighty fine players there. 

Amazing fact.... I just found out.  Netolicky once played one game for two teams.  Game time trades happen.

Edited by milehiiu

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Calipari to the Pacers!

I kid I kid! Still kills me that Artest screwed that season up with the Brawl in the Palace, P's were a championship contender with that team. 

Trust me there was about 10 year window there from 95 to the Palace that should have resulted in at least 1 if not a couple titles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me there was about 10 year window there from 95 to the Palace that should have resulted in at least 1 if not a couple titles.

Unfortunately Reggie had to keep going up against MJ — after the Knicks and when he was in his prime. That series where he out-dueled MJ in Indy but lost in Chicago (I think 98) was fantastic 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Unfortunately Reggie had to keep going up against MJ — after the Knicks and when he was in his prime. That series where he out-dueled MJ in Indy but lost in Chicago (I think 98) was fantastic 

Probably could say that about a lot of stars of the 80's and 90's like Ewing, Barkley, Stockton and Malone.  It seems like my teams always are good but always has a star player who is better that stand sin their way.  The Colts and Manning always had to go through Brady and the Patriots.  Pacers had the Knicks and Ewing then MJ and the bulls.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I posted it on here a few weeks ago that Chris Quinn in highly regarded in the Pacer organization. Would not be surprised 1 bit. The Pacers really like the Miami model 

The Miami model would be terrific if Indiana could mimic it.  Sure we do not have the beaches, nice weather year around but you bring that basketball model here to Indiana, I think it could attract free agents a little better.  

• Like 1

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

The Miami model would be terrific if Indiana could mimic it.  Sure we do not have the beaches, nice weather year around but you bring that basketball model here to Indiana, I think it could attract free agents a little better.  

My only concern is that guys like Jimmy Butler just don't fall out of the sky and who on the Pacers can demand players held accountable for their effort and back it up at the same time. Vic has that in him but.... I do like their style of play for sure. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

My only concern is that guys like Jimmy Butler just don't fall out of the sky and who on the Pacers can demand players held accountable for their effort and back it up at the same time. Vic has that in him but.... I do like their style of play for sure. 

OK, Butler was outstanding this year and especially in the bubble/playoffs. 

But -- he was routinely lambasted basically every year, on every team he played on, until this year in Miami. At some point just liking the shiny new thing needs to consider that shiny new thing isn't so new.

Butler found the perfect fit in Miami, for him, including strong -- Riley -- management and complimentary players for his game. And he finally matured as a player. 

Vic was the perfect fit for the P's, and his game, when he joined the P's, and he and the P's excelled. Then it turned into his extended injury situation and question marks surrounding whether he'd return to that form. Vic fell out of the sky to the P's. But things changed.

The P's need at least 2 star-level players. They had that in Vic, at least until his injury situation. Where they go from here is a big question mark.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK, Butler was outstanding this year and especially in the bubble/playoffs. 

But -- he was routinely lambasted basically every year, on every team he played on, until this year in Miami. At some point just liking the shiny new thing needs to consider that shiny new thing isn't so new.

Butler found the perfect fit in Miami, for him, including strong -- Riley -- management and complimentary players for his game. And he finally matured as a player. 

Vic was the perfect fit for the P's, and his game, when he joined the P's, and he and the P's excelled. Then it turned into his extended injury situation and question marks surrounding whether he'd return to that form. Vic fell out of the sky to the P's. But things changed.

The P's need at least 2 star-level players. They had that in Vic, at least until his injury situation. Where they go from here is a big question mark.

I can agree with most of that but I feel that Butler got a bum rap from his other teammates. He was with a bunch of prima donnas that did not want to put in the effort. These young guys don't know any different  and give it all and not only does he expect 100% he is out there giving it. When he was with Minnesota and he did not want to play with Wiggins and KAT he took the second group and pounded the starters. Those supposed stars went to the front office complaining about him and he was basically alienated by his team. He is in the perfect scenario right no. 

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can agree with most of that but I feel that Butler got a bum rap from his other teammates. He was with a bunch of prima donnas that did not want to put in the effort. These young guys don't know any different  and give it all and not only does he expect 100% he is out there giving it. When he was with Minnesota and he did not want to play with Wiggins and KAT he took the second group and pounded the starters. Those supposed stars went to the front office complaining about him and he was basically alienated by his team. He is in the perfect scenario right no. 

Butler was on several teams he wasn't with a bunch of prima donnas except in Chicago, he clashed with players, coaches and ownership every single year consistently until this year. No bum rap, he was a problem. But he matured and he found a good fit with strong leadership -- you don't f with Riley.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Butler was on several teams he wasn't with a bunch of prima donnas except in Chicago, he clashed with players, coaches and ownership every single year consistently until this year. No bum rap, he was a problem. But he matured and he found a good fit with strong leadership -- you don't f with Riley.

Agree once again with most. Pat Riley perfect for Butler but the guys he has been with have not won anything and I don't ever see them doing anything.  He has matured for sure but I still feel he was part of the problem not THE problem