NBA Thread

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Why would they want it to go longer? It should be put out of it's misery.

"Game 2 of the NBA Finals between the Lakers and Heat utterly collapsed with just 4.5 million viewers. The embarrassing average is down — wait for it — 68% from last year’s Game 2, which featured a team in Canada."

"How bad is the number? It’s the least-watched NBA Finals game on record. Dropping even below Game 1’s 7.41, the lowest-viewed Finals opener in history."

https://www.outkick.com/nba-ratings-tank-game-2/

For 2020 I think you just throw out all numbers in regards to viewership. Plus numbers always low in election years and honestly its not basketball season. With everything going on there is so much more to watch. I personally have found that if its not my favorite team playing I got used to not watching sports. Never thought I would say that. Both Saturday night and after the Colts game the wife and I watched 3 scary movies. in the past we would be watching some sports for sure.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Why would they want it to go longer? It should be put out of it's misery.

"Game 2 of the NBA Finals between the Lakers and Heat utterly collapsed with just 4.5 million viewers. The embarrassing average is down — wait for it — 68% from last year’s Game 2, which featured a team in Canada."

"How bad is the number? It’s the least-watched NBA Finals game on record. Dropping even below Game 1’s 7.41, the lowest-viewed Finals opener in history."

https://www.outkick.com/nba-ratings-tank-game-2/

Agreed. Wowsa.

When people say things like that, they must not consider that the NBA already got paid for broadcast rights and it won't earn any extra money the longer the series goes (as far as I know). ABC/ESPN would earn additional marketing money potentially if the series goes longer, but as you point out with ratings this bad, they're not certainly not going to do illegal things to make a drop in the bucket more money.

Friday night at 9EST is a terrible game time to draw in anyone who wasn't going to watch anyway.

Game 3 will probably be even lower. Factor in it was 2-0 and most expected another easy Lakers' W and it was on Sunday vs. NFL. 

Tuesday might go up from Game 3 since its 2-1 now, especially if Heat get Dragic and/or Bam back, but I wouldn't expect it to beat Game 1. 

Saw a rumor out there about VO going to the Knicks.

Knicks get VO

Pacers get Randle, Smith Jr and 2021 and 2023 first round picks that the Knicks got from the Mavs.

To me it would have involve the Knicks first round pick this year which I think is 8th this year.

Edited by IU Scott

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw a rumor out there about VO going to the Knicks.

Knicks get Pacers get Handle, Smith Jr and 2021 and 2023 first round picks that the Knicks got from the Mavs.

To me it would have involve the Knicks first round pick this year which I think is 8th this year.

This will all be dependent on what kind of players fit the new coaches style. I think there will be a few teams lining up to make a trade for Vic and Turner this offseason because the free agent class isn't great. 

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just worth pointing out that these "articles" talk about "rumblings" and "rumors." They may or may not be true. The article does not "state" that VO has been wanting out since January. 

I may be quibbling. I'm not following this saga closely. I haven't seen an article actually confirming that Vic has asked to be traded (if it's out there ok, haven't seen it), or when. Two guys, Woj and Brian Windhorst, tend to have genuine, confirmed information. 

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Does this fit here?

Since so many think NBA ratings are down for anything other than all that's going on in the world. 

Partly...I do find it interestingly the nba has already announced they are taking the social messaging off the floors and jerseys next year. Silver said we need to get back to some normalcy....even NBA thinks it’s hurting their bottom line it appears...which I would say they should know more than anyone. So there is some there there.

https://www.outkick.com/adam-silver-nba-social-justice-messaging-will-be-largely-left-off-the-court-next-season/

Edited by dgambill

27 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just worth pointing out that these "articles" talk about "rumblings" and "rumors." They may or may not be true. The article does not "state" that VO has been wanting out since January. 

I may be quibbling. I'm not following this saga closely. I haven't seen an article actually confirming that Vic has asked to be traded (if it's out there ok, haven't seen it), or when. Two guys, Woj and Brian Windhorst, tend to have genuine, confirmed information. 

I know the Pacers beat writer has confirmed that VO wants out but who knows who is right

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Partly...I do find it interestingly the nba has already announced they are taking the social messaging off the floors and jerseys next year. Silver said we need to get back to some normalcy....even NBA thinks it’s hurting their bottom line it appears...which I would say they should know more than anyone. So there is some there there.

I think you're reading a lot into that and it may not be there. This was a unique situation and they treated it as such, but I think the hope for everyone is that by the time next NBA season starts we will have more normalcy. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you're reading a lot into that and it may not be there. This was a unique situation and they treated it as such, but I think the hope for everyone is that by the time next NBA season starts we will have more normalcy. 

Just going by what the Comish is saying. That this was a unique year and that the social messaging will go away from the court and jerseys next year from the teams. Obviously they still support the movements but he has heard people say they want to just watch a basketball game and he understands that and they will go back to normalcy. So they are hearing “people want to just watch a game” and it’s resonating...they wouldn’t make this 180 if they didn’t see it affecting their bottom line. We will see if the players revolt and their position changes but if that isn’t clear evidence the messaging is having an effect on their bottom line I don’t know what is.

https://www.outkick.com/adam-silver-nba-social-justice-messaging-will-be-largely-left-off-the-court-next-season/

sorry I added the link too late for your response...I linked it again.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Just going by what the Comish is saying. That this was a unique year and that the social messaging will go away from the court and jerseys next year from the teams. Obviously they still support the movements but he has heard people say they want to just watch a basketball game and he understands that and they will go back to normalcy. So they are hearing “people want to just watch a game” and it’s resonating...they wouldn’t make this 180 if they didn’t see it affecting their bottom line. We will see if the players revolt and their position changes but if that isn’t clear evidence the messaging is having an effect on their bottom line I don’t know what is.

sorry I added the link too late for your response...I linked it again.

I guess you and I interpret what he said in very different ways; I think it was a very unique situation from what was going on in the world to the fact that they played in a bubble, so they let something happen that never had much intention of being a long-term thing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess you and I interpret what he said in very different ways; I think it was a very unique situation from what was going on in the world to the fact that they played in a bubble, so they let something happen that never had much intention of being a long-term thing. 

Yeah definitely not getting that from what he said but I understand what you are saying. To me it reads we had an unusual moment in time with what was happening in society and moment in time and so we wanted to respect our players desire to promote and support their voice on the matter. Next year while still supporting their right to voice their opinions and beliefs however the messaging will not be front and center of the product (literally on the floor and across the jerseys) and we want to get back to normalcy of control of messaging. 

Now why are they reversing course? After all they just said they still support the same causes and movements the players are behind so why take it off the floor and jerseys and not have it front and center like they have been pushing it? Certainly if we are to believe what we are told the racism is systematic and institutional then it certainly won’t be gone next year...so why stop the messaging? Perhaps it’s about marketing, viewership declining, and lost revenue. If viewership was through the roof and people were widely supportive of the action do you think they would end it? It may resonate with some fans, core fans maybe, but like most businesses if you wish to be successful you don’t win over more customers by promoting divisive and controversial policies. You want to be inclusive.
I may be wrong and I respect that others are taking this decision to make the change back to mean something else but to me this is about lost revenue and viewership and the desire of the owners to get control back of their league and again get back to growing the product instead of allowing messaging about their league to be dominated by social political messaging that hurts their bottom line as opposed to the wonderful appeal of a sport that is fun to watch, fast paced, with global reach that is purely about the speed, skill, and athleticism that attracts fans in the first place.

I don't see how they're reversing course? They never said BLM was going to be on the courts indefinitely. They never said it would remain once they left the bubble and went back to home arenas. 

There are also too many variables (no paying ticket holders, much fewer games, less teams, playing during the off-season, Covid in general, etc.) to say that the revenue loss is because of any political statement. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't see how they're reversing course? They never said BLM was going to be on the courts indefinitely. They never said it would remain once they left the bubble and went back to home arenas. 

There are also too many variables (no paying ticket holders, much fewer games, less teams, playing during the off-season, Covid in general, etc.) to say that the revenue loss is because of any political statement. 

Yes plenty of variables but if you don’t think the very in your face vocal social messaging is not having a significant drag on ratings then we will just agree to disagree. Owners will never say point blank it is a primary reason because they don’t want to drive a wedge between their players and undermine their stars but for every outspoken Mark Cuban I bet there is an owner like Simon likely that would say hey slow up guys. That might play in your markets but in other parts of the country whose fan base and demographics and political leanings are not as far left as some of the rest let’s get back to focusing on games. Some owners work in much thinner margins and can’t afford to alienate viewers and fans by supporting such a divisive agenda. Going along with it this year when they aren’t worried about selling seats and is basically ruined because of Covid is one thing. Next year when we are trying to market our team and sell advertising and drive fans back into an arena where people will be learning to get comfortable sharing space with thousands of others in a crowded facility might be difficult enough without pushing away a good portion of your fan base with messaging that honestly has nothing to do with your product and is a turn off to a good portion of your paying ticket holders. 
Guess when he said he heard from fans that they just want to watch basketball I am the only one that understood it as we heard your unhappiness with the messaging and will go back to focusing on messaging about the game and the players.