NBA Thread

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

How about D’Antoni taking an assistant position under Nash in Brooklyn? That’s an interesting move

It makes a ton of sense for Steve Nash, but I wonder how it works with Brooklyn's personnel? I'm assuming with this move that Nash is going to lean into D'Antoni's system, though not sure if it will look more like the Phoenix version or the Houston version? I wonder how Kyrie fits those systems?

Kyrie probably fits the Houston version much better, but would Durant and the rest of the Nets be happy watching Kyrie dominate the ball James Harden style?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

It makes a ton of sense for Steve Nash, but I wonder how it works with Brooklyn's personnel? I'm assuming with this move that Nash is going to lean into D'Antoni's system, though not sure if it will look more like the Phoenix version or the Houston version? I wonder how Kyrie fits those systems?

Kyrie probably fits the Houston version much better, but would Durant and the rest of the Nets be happy watching Kyrie dominate the ball James Harden style?

Gut feeling is you will see a combination of old suns offense, Houston offense, and some similar stuff to the Warriors.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Gut feeling is you will see a combination of old suns offense, Houston offense, and some similar stuff to the Warriors.

Agree. Will be interesting how Kyrie does with it. As a Celtics fan I'm a little jaded on it, but I don't see it going well. It may be fine the first year, but at some point Kyrie is going to start waxing philosophical about nonsense and try to be a leader and it will fail. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Will be interesting how Kyrie does with it. As a Celtics fan I'm a little jaded on it, but I don't see it going well. It may be fine the first year, but at some point Kyrie is going to start waxing philosophical about nonsense and try to be a leader and it will fail. 

How Lebron won a championship with Kyrie I’ll never know. Team killer.

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Let’s be honest here guys. D’Antoni is a great x&o coach. I mean he is more than just an offense. He has years and years of drawing up plays and side line experience and running a team. Invaluable resource for a first year coach. It isn’t just a system but years of drawing up plays and putting together game plans. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

How Lebron won a championship with Kyrie I’ll never know. Team killer.

Because Lebron is the GOAT. And yes, I realize Kyrie hit a crucial shot to win it, but those Cleveland teams are pretty terrible in a historical context. Outside of Lebron, you have exactly zero guys who have ever accomplished anything without Lebron. 

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Because Lebron is the GOAT. And yes, I realize Kyrie hit a crucial shot to win it, but those Cleveland teams are pretty terrible in a historical context. Outside of Lebron, you have exactly zero guys who have ever accomplished anything without Lebron. 

I’ll leave the GOAT thing alone as to not start the inevitable argument. Kyrie was big. Having a guy with confidence to take and make those type shots are crucial. Lebron over the years has struggled to be that guy in crunch time. He did carry those Cleveland teams. The East was pathetic during those years. The Miami years at least early on the Celtics/Bulls had some fire power but age and injuries derailed them. Then the Pacers. But in Cleveland....yeah it was a walk over to the finals every year.

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Well with Stoudemire there now as well ....

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’ll leave the GOAT thing alone as to not start the inevitable argument. Kyrie was big. Having a guy with confidence to take and make those type shots are crucial. Lebron over the years has struggled to be that guy in crunch time. He did carry those Cleveland teams. The East was pathetic during those years. The Miami years at least early on the Celtics/Bulls had some fire power but age and injuries derailed them. Then the Pacers. But in Cleveland....yeah it was a walk over to the finals every year.

I will agree the East was down when he was in Cleveland the second time, but it was only a walk to the Finals because of LeBron. Take LeBron off the Cavs and they aren't making it, but they did make it without Kyrie and they did make it without Love. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 12:35 AM, KoB2011 said:

LOL.  You cannot have KoB in your name and say that.  And I have no idea if that references Kobe.

The Pacers are replacing Peter Dinwiddie with 2 different assistant GM’s. The first one they’ve hired is Ted Wu who worked in the NBA league office on the salary cap. That’s what he’ll do with the Pacers as well. They are planning to hire another assistant GM who I’m guessing will work more on the personnel side of things as well though that’s just speculation. 

4 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Has anything been said about the Pacers trading for 2021 draft picks?

If I was a GM, I would be trying to acquire 2021 and 2022 draft picks. With a lot of players staying in college this year, those drafts should be a bit backlogged with depth. The fifteenth pick in 2021 might be as valuable as the 7th pick this year.

Well there isn't any real talk about anything the Pacers might do. If they do anything it will likely come out of left field. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Has anything been said about the Pacers trading for 2021 draft picks?

If I was a GM, I would be trying to acquire 2021 and 2022 draft picks. With a lot of players staying in college this year, those drafts should be a bit backlogged with depth. The fifteenth pick in 2021 might be as valuable as the 7th pick this year.

It sucks but the Pacers rarely trade for draft picks. Even though next year which starts in a little over a month will once again be mostly without fans (and if any year you want to tank it’s next) the Pacers have to make sure they put a mediocre product on the floor and can’t afford to “lose” paying fans even when they won’t have any next year. I’d actually be all for future picks and expiring deals for Myles and or Vic. Golden State has next years Minnesota pick. I’d do a trade of Myles and filler for Wiggins + pick in a 3 way that also gets Minnesota pick plus other future picks or a young asset. Then move Vic to Atlanta for their #6 pick this year (they are shopping) plus maybe a future first next year or something along those lines. The free cap space we can fill in respectively and not absolutely tank...heck maybe even make an 8 seed. But have some future assets to build with around Brogdon and Sabonis. I also think Warren will be a good trade chip come deadline with a team needing some offense for a championship push and could land more draft capital. We really should be doing some rebuilding right now with this window when fans aren’t engaged so when sports come back in full force we have a new young exciting team to draw in an audience.

Edited by dgambill