NBA Thread

Rooting for the Bucks tonight. The more and more I've learned about Giannis, I don't know how you don't root for guy?

He basically came from nothing, he's taken care of his family, he's basically got no ego (which is saying something for a guy as accomplished as he is), I just feel like it's his time. 

• Like 5

Giannis just had one of the best individual Finals ever. Completely unbelievable how amazing he was, and he is only 26. The sky is the limit for where he can take his legacy. 

And I think part of that will be answered by what happens with the Bucks in the coming years. Can they stack multiple titles or is this a case of a young stud carrying them to one and not something that is repeatable?

No one had scored 20 in a Finals quarter since 93, Giannis did it twice. He had three 40 point games. He had the first 40/10/5 block game in the Finals since Shaq in 01. And perhaps most impressive for him, in the biggest game of his life he put on a free throws performance that is only rivaled by Kentucky in the 2012 Sweet 16. 

If you're a basketball fan and didn't pay attention to this Finals, you truly missed out. 

• Like 3

I don’t know that I see a dynasty here. As great as Giannis was, and he was historically great, I still maintain that neither of these teams are in the Finals if everyone was healthy. 

Agree with @KoB2011, this was a really enjoyable Finals, fun to watch, and Giannis put himself in the pantheon of all-time NBA greats with his performance. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know that I see a dynasty here. As great as Giannis was, and he was historically great, I still maintain that neither of these teams are in the Finals if everyone was healthy. 

Agree with @KoB2011, this was a really enjoyable Finals, fun to watch, and Giannis put himself in the pantheon of all-time NBA greats with his performance. 

The Bucks could add more pieces in the off season?  I mean the Lakers won in '80 and added more pieces thereafter.

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Bucks could add more pieces in the off season?  I mean the Lakers won in '80 and added more pieces thereafter.

Going to take some really impressive moves. They have about 1.7 million in space. Tucker and Teague are free agents (Tucker will likely have multiple suiters)... Portis and Forbes have player options that and would make well more opting out. I suspect some minor moves but they essentially went all in like Toronto and it paid off. Now unlike Toronto they aren't losing their best player so they will still be able to compete. The biggest addition will be getting Divichenzo back who was a starter.  I don't see them adding any major pieces just playing around the edges perhaps and trying to bring it back. Problem is they are very top heavy with massive contracts and finding another big piece using guys on small deals is super unlikely. 

As @BGleas said I am not sure they were the best team...but they were the best team after injuries effected everyone. I think they will always have a contender as long as Giannis is there...he is basically a one man wrecking crew...but there are teams that can match up better and force him to shoot jumpers more. Problem was Phoenix I don't think matched up well against him because the only guy they had that had length to bother his shot was Ayton...and that pulled him away from the basket, got him in foul trouble, and threw off his offensive rhythem at the other end as well. The key in the series was going to be Holiday and Middleton making key plays when they needed and they did on both ends of the floor. Last night getting contributions from Portis and Lopez was also just too much to overcome. We will see if its repeatable. I suspect they will be there fighting it out towards the end of the year next year but they were KD wearing the correct shoe size away from being eliminated in the second round as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Going to take some really impressive moves. They have about 1.7 million in space. Tucker and Teague are free agents (Tucker will likely have multiple suiters)... Portis and Forbes have player options that and would make well more opting out. I suspect some minor moves but they essentially went all in like Toronto and it paid off. Now unlike Toronto they aren't losing their best player so they will still be able to compete. The biggest addition will be getting Divichenzo back who was a starter.  I don't see them adding any major pieces just playing around the edges perhaps and trying to bring it back. Problem is they are very top heavy with massive contracts and finding another big piece using guys on small deals is super unlikely. 

What does the FA market look like?

40 minutes ago, rico said:

What does the FA market look like?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30403388/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2021-2022

I'd look for a few bench players to move around for the Bucks. The biggest opportunity will come in the buyout market closer to the end of the year next year like LA and Brooklyn got upgrades with Griffin and Drummond. So that will be their chance to add a really good piece.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

As @BGleas said I am not sure they were the best team...but they were the best team after injuries effected everyone. I think they will always have a contender as long as Giannis is there...he is basically a one man wrecking crew...but there are teams that can match up better and force him to shoot jumpers more. Problem was Phoenix I don't think matched up well against him because the only guy they had that had length to bother his shot was Ayton...and that pulled him away from the basket, got him in foul trouble, and threw off his offensive rhythem at the other end as well. The key in the series was going to be Holiday and Middleton making key plays when they needed and they did on both ends of the floor. Last night getting contributions from Portis and Lopez was also just too much to overcome. We will see if its repeatable. I suspect they will be there fighting it out towards the end of the year next year but they were KD wearing the correct shoe size away from being eliminated in the second round as well.

To play devil's advocate, the Bucks did prove they can win a title with this formula and while maybe they benefited form injuries, I'm not sure the Bucks playing the way they did the last four games of the Finals or the last 5 of the BKN series isn't the best team in the league. And it is a repeatable formula, it's honestly going back to basics more than anything.  

I could see the Bucks being a one time champ but I can also see them winning several in the next 5-8 years. I mean.... Giannis is only 26. To do what he just did when he is still a little early on his prime window is absurd. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

To play devil's advocate, the Bucks did prove they can win a title with this formula and while maybe they benefited form injuries, I'm not sure the Bucks playing the way they did the last four games of the Finals or the last 5 of the BKN series isn't the best team in the league. And it is a repeatable formula, it's honestly going back to basics more than anything.  

I could see the Bucks being a one time champ but I can also see them winning several in the next 5-8 years. I mean.... Giannis is only 26. To do what he just did when he is still a little early on his prime window is absurd. 

Oh no doubt. They will be right there and have chances. Two things I take in to consideration. Can Giannis continue to hit free throws or do they become his bugaboo. I mean if he shoots 60% last night as he did most of the playoffs...that's a different game. Second there will be teams that will force him to beat them from the perimeter....can he continue to hit those jumpers and expand to 3. Finally how does Jrue Holiday contract hold up over time. It was a win now move that paid off huge....so if those answers get done to the positive...well you betcha the title will go through them. I won't bet against Giannis though as he seems to improve every year. Dangerous team for sure!

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Congrats to the Bucks on winning without a super team.  

Lillard stay in Portland. 

Agree 100% with both statements. 

How anyone can root for a super team is beyond me.  Heck, if the Pacers went that route, I probably wouldn't even root for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, KoB2011 said:

Giannis is having a historically good Finals so far. I would not be surprised to see Milwaukee come back and win this. I think you can make a case they’ve actually been the better team thus far, especially the past two games. 

Very good call, and early.  

• Like 3