Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, 5 championships said:

Painter has a heck of track record with top 50 recruits. I’m sure PU will land him. 

Only “TRACK” record IU needs to worry about is to how Matt Painter continues to WHOOP our arse yr in and yr out!  Forget STARS, Painters BIGS continue to dominate IU’’s 5 STAR in state talent that makes me want to PUke.  Size beats talent and I hope someday we get this.  

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Only “TRACK” record IU needs to worry about is to how Matt Painter continues to WHOOP our arse yr in and yr out!  Forget STARS, Painters BIGS continue to dominate IU’’s 5 STAR in state talent that makes me want to PUke.  Size beats talent and I hope someday we get this.  

Those "BIGS" are as big if not bigger than anything anyone else has and it didn't trump a majority of their games this year. That said effort and attention to detail "often" beats talent...and that is certainly what happened against us both times (although the game at Mackey was played hard on both sides). If not for a 2 min stretch at the end of the first half where we lost our marbles with turnovers we are right there with Purdue and our late run wouldn't have come up short likely. I ain't going to lie...we don't have more talent then most teams in the B1G. Trayce & Hunter are probably the exception on our team but most teams we are playing have as good if not better talent then we do. That is why getting a team full of hard working talented kids like Trayce, Trey, Khristian and others is so vitally important. If size just trumped talent then Davis and Joey would dominate...when in most games it's been Trayce and Race that have carried us down the stretch.

Is that the same Purdue team that is 16-15 this year?

Nah he won a couple close ones. He has had a good run the last few years with Crean when he was pathetic and now with Archie while Arch builds the program. Will be fine. 

21 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Nah he won a couple close ones. He has had a good run the last few years with Crean when he was pathetic and now with Archie while Arch builds the program. Will be fine. 

This.  Painter and Gard have systems and culture in place that have been there for years. They recruit and develop guys to play a specific brand of extremely physical defense, and methodical offense.  It wins consistently in the B1G with the way officials call conference games like rugby matches.  Smart to take advantage of it.

But that style and system don't lend themselves to deep tourney runs.  You might catch lightning in a bottle with Frank Kaminsky blowing up, or Carsen Edwards getting hot, but history tells us that's about it.  I asked my dad once why Purdue did so well under Keady in conference,  but flamed out in the tourney.  His view was that Keady's goal was to win the conference,  while coach Knight wanted the potential to make NCAA tourney runs.  Both knew what they were capable of.  

I guess that's why there is so much bickering on here about our expectations.   All of us think our Hoosiers can and should compete for NCAA titles.  Some see signs of us turning our aircraft carrier of a program in the right direction, while some don't feel it's changing fast enough. Only time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This.  Painter and Gard have systems and culture in place that have been there for years. They recruit and develop guys to play a specific brand of extremely physical defense, and methodical offense.  It wins consistently in the B1G with the way officials call conference games like rugby matches.  Smart to take advantage of it.

But that style and system don't lend themselves to deep tourney runs.  You might catch lightning in a bottle with Frank Kaminsky blowing up, or Carsen Edwards getting hot, but history tells us that's about it.  I asked my dad once why Purdue did so well under Keady in conference,  but flamed out in the tourney.  His view was that Keady's goal was to win the conference,  while coach Knight wanted the potential to make NCAA tourney runs.  Both knew what they were capable of.  

I guess that's why there is so much bickering on here about our expectations.   All of us think our Hoosiers can and should compete for NCAA titles.  Some see signs of us turning our aircraft carrier of a program in the right direction, while some don't feel it's changing fast enough. Only time will tell.

the other day Jeff RabJohn's was on a local radio show and talking the physical style of play hurting the big ten in recruiting.  He said he talked to numerous 5 star players and they told him tat they have no desire to play that style of basketball.  So when we talk about why the big ten is not getting the higher recruits this could be one of the reasons why.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

the other day Jeff RabJohn's was on a local radio show and talking the physical style of play hurting the big ten in recruiting.  He said he talked to numerous 5 star players and they told him tat they have no desire to play that style of basketball.  So when we talk about why the big ten is not getting the higher recruits this could be one of the reasons why.

It's hard to watch these slogfests too.  

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just looked at the Rivals 2019 rankings.

They had 32 players listed as 5 stars and ZERO of the 5 stars went to the Big Ten.  As you state above, there must be some reasons for that.

(Trace and Carton, however, just missed being 5 stars).

18 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I just looked at the Rivals 2019 rankings.

They had 32 players listed as 5 stars and ZERO of the 5 stars went to the Big Ten.  As you state above, there must be some reasons for that.

(Trace and Carton, however, just missed being 5 stars).

I also would bet most of the top recruits that go to the big ten  are in the big ten territory.  I would think the kids that are out of that territory is the ones who don't want to play tat style.

Kentucky and Duke combined have more active players in the NBA right now than the entire Big10 conference.  Those two schools have been able to brand themselves as the gateway to the next level...the pro level.  The 5 star kid is generally attracted by that and certainly willing to listen to their sales pitch.  Heck, those schools hardly have to make a sales pitch.

46 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Kentucky and Duke combined have more active players in the NBA right now than the entire Big10 conference.  Those two schools have been able to brand themselves as the gateway to the next level...the pro level.  The 5 star kid is generally attracted by that and certainly willing to listen to their sales pitch.  Heck, those schools hardly have to make a sales pitch.

Thing is that most of the players who went to those schools would have still made the NBA no matter where they went.

38 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yes,

And In 2019 of the 32 5 stars...

One did not go to college.

Duke, UK and Ari$ona each landed three. Three each is actually a little lower than usual for Duke and UK. UK already has five 5-star commitments for 2021 while Duke and UNC each have 3.

Villanova, Memphis, Washington, UNC and Florida each landed two.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thing is that most of the players who went to those schools would have still made the NBA no matter where they went.

That's likely true.  But those kids still believe the style those coaches/schools promote/play better prepares them moving forward.  Just my opinion.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Playing in the Final Four isn't many 5 star kids primary goal, IMHO.  Yeah, it's great...a fun accomplishment, but ultimately it's all about getting to the pros.

that is why I don't want to many on IU's roster.  I don't want the players main goal is his draft status.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I agree.  The officiating in the B1G is an abomination.  It is just crazy how many no-calls there are.  I mean guys get bumped, knocked down, tripped, etc, to a disadvantage with the ball, and there is no call WAY too often.  There are slaps on the shooting hand, etc.

Like most of us, I grew up watching B1G basketball, and I like some level of physical play.  It's a big boy conference.  But it has gotten out of hand.   IMO basketball should prioritize movement and skills over watching brute strength.  If I am looking for that, I can switch to football.

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Listed at 6'9 215lbs. Last season he was listed at 6'8 190. 

He'll be 6'9-6'10-225lbs before he plays a college game. 

What I wouldn't give for Trayce to stick around a couple more years. A front line of Trayce, Race, and Trey....that could win you a lot of ball games with the guards/wings we have rolling in.

Archived