Is it Devonte Green's team next year?

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You just nailed it. 

So much untapped potential on this team.

Always great to hear from you, BC. 

Thanks man. The way I see it we will be significantly less talented than last year. But possibly more balanced and mature. 

Im hoping that’s enough. 

13 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Phinisee, Durham, Brunk or Davis.  I feel like it needs to be Phinisee since he’s the point.

Rob is your leader.  In order to be a leader you have to have the right personality.  You have to be one of the first guys in the gym everyday, you have to stay out of trouble, do whatever the coaches ask, and bust your butt. Equally as important you have to be a damn good player.  The other guys just aren't going to look up to a guy like Zach McRoberts.  Rob is your leader the next 3 years IMO.

28 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I thought for a split second he was OG Anunoby. That's determination and dedication. 

I thought the same thing....I actually spanned in because I didn't recognize him as Deron. Great to see his hard work and dedication to not only Indiana University basketball, but to himself!

21 hours ago, rbkl said:

Great discussion, thanks all.

If I am Archie, I would want a more emotional leader. Someone that really cares about winning. I think that was the biggest problem two seasons ago. Robert Johnson, despite being a great teammate and role model, was more of the calm and cool type. 

Yogi Ferrell is the best example in recent history that was actively yelling at teammates to be in the right spots. Those are the types of players that catch fire and can literally put a team on their back. Is that Devonte? Not sure, but the Ohio State game showed signs of that.

Rob Phinisee would be a great leader - he does all the right things on the floor and he is more of a cerebral basketball player at this point in his career. But is he also more of the quiet type? It's going to be really fun watching him develop for the Hoosiers.

Thanks rbkl!....My sentiments exactly. We must think alike. Coming from a retired softball coach....having a leader who knows the game from every angle and has earned the confidence and respect from EVERYONE is key for a successful season. I feel that young man is Rob.

8 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

63360e4df3fbd0e012750e6d250f8fd5.jpg

Kid still can barely jump over the free throw line HAHAH.  Seriously though, he looks slimmer and in better shape.  He might not be the most athletic but he sure does have determination and grit

It's great to see him practicing free throws!

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 AM, addictedtoIU said:

I thought for a split second he was OG Anunoby. That's determination and dedication. 

Same thing here. Thought to myself wow OG wins his title and jets to Bloomington to start working again. Good for Davis. Really pulling he has a season that can earn him a chance at next level (wherever that might be). 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Same thing here. Thought to myself wow OG wins his title and jets to Bloomington to start working again. Good for Davis. Really pulling he has a season that can earn him a chance at next level (wherever that might be). 

I'm sure OG is rehabbing and training hard these days. Poor kid couldn't be on the biggest stage. As he saw Siakam and Vanvleet shined like diamonds, he would've been happy for them but at the same time thought that should've been him. 

Very happy to see Davis working.  Big senior season for him.  Bigger than for most because of all the missed opportunities he has had in his career.  Injuries have really derailed him.

I am bullish on him as a player, regardless of how the game is changing.  He is an absolute man in the post with the ball.  Bang, bang, bang, bring it.  Then he will deftly score on anybody at the college level.  Tremendous toughness, physicality, and touch.  We just need him healthy, trimmed down, and this extra year to shake off that big injury.  Fingers crossed that it all comes together for him as we have lost any margin for error when it comes to his career.

DeVonte played well down the stretch.  Let's hope he has turned the corner.  It's a little scary because we have seen flashes before and then he falls off.  We have discussed it since his freshman year.  He has a well rounded skill set and tough mindset.  We just need a smart, dedicated guy.

Phinisee will almost positively be good.   

Brunk will bring a lot.  TJD is a McD AA.

But, like last year, the wing position is a huge question mark.  We are all pulling for Hunter to be healthy first and a good player.  But, assuming we get incremental improvement from Damezi as opposed to an order of magnitude improvement, which cannot be predicted, we really need Hunter.  We can't have a woeful attack from the wing or it will severely limit this team.  If it all works out, we might have a realization of what could have been if we had a healthy Hunter and Langford together, which is what we all expected last year.  

• 2 weeks later...

No this isn't DG's team. If it is we are in trouble. 

I just witnessed out side of AH. DG and TJD walked passed each other on the side walk going in different direction and not a hello, a what's up, head nod, nothing. Ghosted each other. If this is how teammates treat each other at IU this program is in very bad shape. Made me a little sick to my stomach. 

56 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I just witnessed out side of AH. DG and TJD walked passed each other on the side walk going in different direction and not a hello, a what's up, head nod, nothing. Ghosted each other. If this is how teammates treat each other at IU this program is in very bad shape. Made me a little sick to my stomach. 

DG and JS are trouble.  This is pretty much common knowledge by now.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

So, are you saying we have an ongoing chemistry issue?  You do make this "incident" sound pretty ominous.  So, you're worried?

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, are you saying we have an ongoing chemistry issue?  You do make this "incident" sound pretty ominous.  So, you're worried?

Just saying what a saw 3 feet in front of me. Who knows what it means. Just didn't look like 2 teammates passing each other. 

38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Just saying what a saw 3 feet in front of me. Who knows what it means. Just didn't look like 2 teammates passing each other. 

So, are you worried?  You kind of sounded worried by your statement.  I think you might want to relax.  😁

I don’t know why any “supposed “ grown-ass adult would label any kid as “trouble”. 

Kids mature at their own rate. Kids that age are on a roller coaster. No one has any idea what these guys are going through. Stigmatizing them holds no value and really has no purpose here. 

As has been said many times here, kids and their families, including recruits, read this forum. CAM has a big enough challenge bringing in kids without some knucklehead doing character assassination on a couple of kids. 

Finally, I am glad that posters here are so connected to the inner workings of the team that they can attest as fact that two kids are trouble. Exactly why I come to this board, to get the inside scoop from people who are definitely in the know.

Smh

On a podcast Hartman mentioned Green being a very strong presence in the locker room when Hartman was a senior and Green was only a Sophomore. My guess is that wether it is good/bad/indifferent....Green will be one of the leaders and/or influencers of this year’s team.

Archived