Weather events

Reacher

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, I lived through the Blizzard of 78 where I grew up in Noblesville. It was brutal. I lived on a farm and my Dad and I had to go out in it to tend to the livestock. I had to hold onto his belt because you couldn't see an arm's length away, the snow and wind was so bad at it's peak.

I lived in a small town in central Indiana during the blizzard and all around us is just country.  It is in Rush county and we were in the NW corner of the county and the county trucks did not get to our area for a couple of weeks. I think it took a week or so until we got our drive way plowed out.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I lived in a small town in central Indiana during the blizzard and all around us is just country.  It is in Rush county and we were in the NW corner of the county and the county trucks did not get to our area for a couple of weeks. I think it took a week or so until we got our drive way plowed out.

You're from Knightstown, right?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I lived in Carthage but went to Knightstown HS.  Knightstown is in Henry county and Carthage is in Rush county but they had us go to Knightstown for junior high and high school instead of Rushville.

Ah, just asking. I worked with a couple of dudes from Knightstown right around 78. They were crazy...

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Wife and I are in serious discussions about it.  Youngest is a high school freshman right now.  I want Arizona.  Spring Training and abundant sunshine.  She's all for that, but only for part of the year.  I'm like, uhhhhh we ain't paying for and keeping up two houses.  

You say that as moths fly out of your wallet.  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

She saw somewhere that next week is supposed to be the worst since to 78 blizzard I'm sure we've all heard about. 

Impossible for anyone to know this far in advance. Beware of people on social media posing as meteorologists. If anyone is projecting total amounts more than 3 days out, they likely aren't legitimate weather forecasters. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Impossible for anyone to know this far in advance. Beware of people on social media posing as meteorologists. If anyone is projecting total amounts more than 3 days out, they likely aren't legitimate weather forecasters. 

Her meteorological qualification depends on how good looking she is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont pay much attention to weather reports but my wife keeps me informed.  She saw somewhere that next week is supposed to be the worst since to 78 blizzard I'm sure we've all heard about. 

I dont know. We will find out I guess. 

Meh.  I didn't hear about '78, I lived it.  When I see 30 foot snow drifts then I will ponder making a comparison.

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The 78 blizzard! Remember it well...

Since we couldn't cruise out in the country, when they got US-31 passable, me and a friend sloshed back and forth between Franklin and New Whiteland drinking Jimmy Fox mixed with Mountain Dew...

78 Was that the year we had 39" of snow in South Bend? Or am I getting confused with the 67 Region storm were my sister and I skiied into town to get some supplies?

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Wife and I are in serious discussions about it.  Youngest is a high school freshman right now.  I want Arizona.  Spring Training and abundant sunshine.  She's all for that, but only for part of the year.  I'm like, uhhhhh we ain't paying for and keeping up two houses.  

I interviewed for a job in Tucson a few years ago. One of the things I read getting ready, Tucson was considered the least likey place in the US to experience a major natural event! (blizzard, earthquake, tornado, etc) still as my tag line suggests, living here in west central Georgia, "I miss the snow!"

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'd like to as well. If you are going to move, go sooner rather than later. Prices will only go higher as more people move there. Hearing of more people heading to TN and SC lately

As for the part of the year issue, how much time has she been outside in the last month? No different than AZ in the summer except you could still go out early in the day.

https://www.extraspace.com/blog/moving/where-are-people-moving-in-2021/

67 and 77/78 are the benchmark years for snowstorms. Chicago- Longest Continuous Period Below Freezing- 43 days. December 28, 1976-February 8, 1977 

I remember a time driving on a Sat night in 1987? when I294 was all but deserted due to the cold. Actual temp like 25 below or so and wind chills 60-70 below. I remember thinking that I was probably very stupid for being on the roads but those were my crazy college years. 

This year is rising up the charts. Its been a couple weeks already below freezing and there is another week to go before mid 30s are forecast for next weekend. Normally snowmobilers get a handful of days per year to ride around here and have to go to WI or NWI/ MI for snow. This year they will have at least a good month of riding.

It has been very pretty out. My driveway snow pile is up to 6'+ now.  Snow pack has to be around 2 ft. I was shoveling this am at 6 degrees and felt cold with thin gloves and no long underwear. Supposed to be 10 below tonight. Next week I'll be in AZ so that makes the cold and snow much more bearable.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 7:29 AM, Drroogh said:

78 Was that the year we had 39" of snow in South Bend? Or am I getting confused with the 67 Region storm were my sister and I skiied into town to get some supplies?

'67 was before my time.  But in '78 seemed we got a lot of snow fast with wind.  People forget about '82.  We had a lot of snow that year as well.  That was the year of the flood in Fort Wayne.  

Calling for 4-6 here tonight into tomorrow morning.  Supposed to be worse south of me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

'67 was before my time.  But in '78 seemed we got a lot of snow fast with wind.  People forget about '82.  We had a lot of snow that year as well.  That was the year of the flood in Fort Wayne.  

Calling for 4-6 here tonight into tomorrow morning.  Supposed to be worse south of me.  

This is a weird one for sure because usually the snow stays to the North of Indy but this one is not only hitting us square in the face....but to the South near Louisville it could be much worse. If it's going to be negative whatever might as well add 6-9 inches on top of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is a weird one for sure because usually the snow stays to the North of Indy but this one is not only hitting us square in the face....but to the South near Louisville it could be much worse. If it's going to be negative whatever might as well add 6-9 inches on top of it. 

Break out the ice fishing gear you southern boys!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

Just out of curiosity, do your houses have a heat source down there?

Yeah, I just put a new heater/AC unit in last year. 

But my house is funny. All the downstairs rooms including the master bedroom, have either ceramic tile or wood flooring. All the upstairs bedrooms have carpet. 

Since heat rises, when it gets cold, the downstairs can be Exorcist level cold, and the upstairs is like a sauna.

Oh, and we do have a gas fireplace. Pretty to look at but it wouldn't heat a taco.

Edited by IUFLA

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I just put a new heater/AC unit in last year. 

But my house is funny. All the downstairs rooms including the master bedroom, have either ceramic tile or wood flooring. All the upstairs bedrooms have carpet. 

Since heat rises, when it gets cold, the downstairs can be Exorcist level cold, and the upstairs is like a sauna.

Oh, and we do have a gas fireplace. Pretty to look at but it wouldn't heat a taco.

So you will be fine as long as the power doesn't go out?